Canes vs. GT

Opponents are going to play zone against us the rest of the way, take away Wong's strength which is going to the hoop, let UM shoot the 3, and go inside and get Omier in foul trouble.

That's your key to beating UM.

Advertisement
Tough one boys. Definitely one we should’ve won but fell apart late.

Would’ve loved to have this road ACC win on a night where our star goes quiet.

You would think people would learn to not make definitive statements about this team, but people keep doing it. How is this going to bite this team in the ***? If Miami rebounds strongly from this loss(Which is likely, considering how they have performed for most of this season), odds are we may not even remember this loss in a month or so. Go look at everyone outside of the top 3-5 teams in the country. **** NEAR EVERYONE HAS ONE OF THESE LOSSES ON THEIR RECORD. This isn't 1985 where a high end team would roll the crap in their conference 99% of the time.
I made my point pretty clear. You can’t give away games against bottom 3-4 teams if you wanna win the league. You’re correct nobody is going 18-2. That’s exactly why you need a couple losses to play with. This game isn’t one you can afford to use one on. It’s a mirror of the loss at GT in 2017 (right after New Years as well) that seemed like no big deal. But it cost the team a regular season title. Every game matters.

Poplar getting hurt turned the game, he was having a great second half.
It felt as if he was going to carry Miami to a win with his effort. It felt like that was going to happen, then he got hurt, Omier came in and once he committed that foul, it was an issue. The crazy part is that had Miami merely shot 30% from deep this game, they win going away, despite everything going wrong. Let that marinate. Miami shot 15% from deep, FIFTEEN PERCENT and still should have won. This was just one of those nights. I doubt Miami would shoot that poorly from deep if you blindfolded them and just merely pointed them in the direction of the basket.

Advertisement
Opponents are going the play zone against us the rest of the way, take away Wong's strength which is going to the hoop, let UM shoot the 3, and go inside and get Omier in foul trouble.

That's your key to beating UM.
If you think Miami is going to shoot 15% from deep consistently, you are setting yourself up for failure. Yes, teams may try to run zone, but all it takes is Wong or Pack to get hot, and then you're getting run out of the gym. There are enough decent shooters on this roster to where I can rest easy knowing that this strategy isn't the silver bullet people think it is. That said, Omier has to avoid foul trouble. That's the issue. He has to avoid stupid fouls, because it's obvious that refs will call everything they can on him.

Our best players are inconsistent and have numerous serious lapses that the rest of the team only occasionally picks it up enough to recover, with Coach L and staff often showing the way. There have been several awful first halves and awful closes on many fronts, although we ended up with wins, sometimes closer than expected, on all but 1 (now 2.)

If this keeps happening, the law of averages, like tonight with a BAD team knocking us off, is going to make our record far from highly-ranked/highly-seeded. I hope it doesn't happen, and that we get better performances and (bench) development... but on the whole we have NOT looked good, and tonight is just another example (hopefully the last, but TBH I doubt it.)

Advertisement

Almost blew the game against UVA in the sameI made my point pretty clear. You can’t give away games against bottom 3-4 teams if you wanna win the league. You’re correct nobody is going 18-2. That’s exactly why you need a couple losses to play with. This game isn’t one you can afford to use one on. It’s a mirror of the loss at GT in 2017 (right after New Years as well) that seemed like no big deal. But it cost the team a regular season title. Every game matters.

It’s a fair point, but this is a type of game that happens every year to good teams, games that make you scratch your head.

Our ACC schedule really favored us this year at the beginning to build in some wiggle room. We’ve mostly cashed in, though BC is a must win to go 5-1 before a pretty tough stretch.

Luckily for us, no one else in the league is running away with it. I expect Pitt to come back down to earth, though they likely beat Clemson at home on Saturday to move to 5-0. It’ll be an exciting finish to the ACC.

Last edited:
It’s a fair point, but this is a type of game that happens every year to good teams, games that make you scratch your head.

Our ACC schedule really favored us this year at the beginning to build in some wiggle room. We’ve mostly cashed in, though BC is a must win to go 5-1 before a pretty tough stretch.

Luckily for us, no one else in the league is running away with it. I expect Pitt to come back down to earth, though they likely beat Clemson at home on Saturday to move to 5-0. It’ll be an exciting finish to the ACC.
It is a fair point. Im not digging this teams grave by any means lmao. In fact I made that point bc I think the team can win the league after that UVA win. Tonight just made it much harder. Just gotta steal a couple to make up for this one and not have another let down.

Nobody is good on the road. That’s what is keeping the standings tight. Which means nobody is head and shoulders better than everybody else.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Your best scorer shouldn’t go 1-11 and 0-8 from 3. He should have known after 4 misses it wasn’t his night from downtown. Could have took it to the rim and get to the line the way the refs were calling this game.
I agree. His strength on offense is attacking the rim. He didn’t do that tonight and relied too much on a jumper that wasn’t working.

He had a bad night scoring.

Advertisement
Back