Can we no longer refer to USF as South Florida?

Advertisement
If you want to get into some convoluted logic, research the question "Why is Cornell University the land grant college (ie Penn State) of the state of New York?
Extension Service to the state, from Upstate apples to Long Island potatoes; plus Animal Sciences.

As have I. USF to Orlando 83 miles

View attachment 303941

Yes, and as a person who has excelled in math for his entire life, I know how to compute the side lengths of a right triangle.

Once again, nobody was talking about the STRAIGHT-LINE distance from Orlando to Tampa. Merely the NORTH-SOUTH differential.

If you call the school in Orlando CENTRAL Florida and the school in Tampa SOUTH Florida, and there is only about 40-50 miles of north-south differential, it becomes RIDICULOUS in a state that is 400-500 miles long (depending on how you treat the Keys).

Come on, people have to comprehend that we are talking about NORTH-SOUTH here.

Yes, and as a person who has excelled in math for his entire life, I know how to compute the side lengths of a right triangle.

Once again, nobody was talking about the STRAIGHT-LINE distance from Orlando to Tampa. Merely the NORTH-SOUTH differential.

If you call the school in Orlando CENTRAL Florida and the school in Tampa SOUTH Florida, and there is only about 40-50 miles of north-south differential, it becomes RIDICULOUS in a state that is 400-500 miles long (depending on how you treat the Keys).

Come on, people have to comprehend that we are talking about NORTH-SOUTH here.
Oh dear god i was merely talking travel distance..... my apologies for not explaining myself to you better smdh

Advertisement
The straight line distance between Tampa and Orlando is approximately 124.21 km or 77.16 miles.

If you draw a right triangle, with the straight-line distance between Tampa and Orlando being the hypoteneuse, it is approximately a 30-60-90 right triangle.

In such a right triangle, the hypoteneuse is twice as long as the short leg (which is the north-south leg of the right triangle in this case).

Thus, the north-south differential between Orlando and Tampa would not exceed 40 miles (approximately half of 77.16 miles).

If you want me to draw it on the chalkboard, I can do so.

Oh dear god i was merely talking travel distance..... my apologies for not explaining myself to you better smdh

And nobody gives a **** about travel distance.

We were talking about geography, and why one school is CORRECTLY called Central Florida, while another is INCORRECTLY called South Florida.

But, thanks, we all have Google maps on our phones. We know what the travel distance from Orlando to Tampa is.

Advertisement
The University of Tampa once had a football team (years ago). They had a coach named Fran Curci that brought them down to play us on a rainy day in the old Orange Bowl. Even though they were in a lower division they still managed to beat us (the Canes). One year later Fran Cursi became our head coach. Like many back then, he didn't last very long!

USF got AAU membership because we earned it after working at it for over a decade. Same as Miami. Whine all you like, but it won't change the end result. The med school has been there since 1971, that was by no means the deciding factor-UCF and FAU have med schools, do you see them getting AAU admission?

USF is by no means a directional school. If UCF was anywhere close to us academically, they'd have achieved at least the benchmarks for Florida's pre-eminent university. FIU beat them to that despite being behind previously.

Anyway, I can see that all yall are pretty much hype and sure you're going to win by 5 TDs tomorrow night. Good luck with that...Bama thought the exact same thing.
UM started working towards AAU membership back in the 1980s, when Tad Foote was still President of the University.
Three University Presidents ago. AAU membership is a much, much bigger deal than y’all realize.

UM started working towards AAU membership back in the 1980s, when Tad Foote was still President of the University.
Three University Presidents ago. AAU membership is a much, much bigger deal than y’all realize.

Yes.

Because unlike the USF guy who makes vague claims about "working hard", the real work is done in restructuring your academic portfolio to devote more time and resources for the ACADEMIC RESEARCH disciplines.

As one of the more high-profile decisions that we can all remember, Tad Foote closed down the "Physical Education" major in which Vinnie Testaverde earned his degree. It just wan't a RESEARCH-oriented academic department.

Advertisement
Advertisement
There already is a University of Tampa that is a private university and a very good school.

Saw my first Canes game against that UT in 1974 at the old "Big Sombrerro" where the Bucs first played.

Tampa had the great Freddie Solomon at QB and we barely ended up beating them.

I think they ended up dropping football a year or two after that when the NFL arrived

The University of Tampa once had a football team (years ago). They had a coach named Fran Curci that brought them down to play us on a rainy day in the old Orange Bowl. Even though they were in a lower division they still managed to beat us (the Canes). One year later Fran Cursi became our head coach. Like many back then, he didn't last very long!
Curci showed up when I did, I lasted a year more. Canes sucked. Some really good players, mostly dudes just doing what I was, graduating w/degree. Move on. But they were good guys. Partied at the Rat. Different World, same universe.🙌🏽#CANESNATIONLIFER

Advertisement
Back