Can we no longer refer to USF as South Florida?

both are state schools.. the story I've been told is at the time FIU/FAU didn't exist and they were the southernmost state school, and kinda talked their way into getting that name, even though it made no sense... regardless of when the school started, the tri-county area was always South Florida...

University of Florida also pushed for the "South Florida" name to undercut the University of Miami. Truth.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Guys. This is very simple. Miami Dade County is not part of the United States. Now plug in your regular logic using this undisputed fact.

stevie-janowski-eastbound-and-down.gif

Advertisement
FIU should be USF..... they should be U of Tampa or Tampa U
There already is a private University of Tampa. Their website is UT.edu. Wonder what Texas and Tennessee think about that.

Advertisement
both are state schools.. the story I've been told is at the time FIU/FAU didn't exist and they were the southernmost state school, and kinda talked their way into getting that name, even though it made no sense... regardless of when the school started, the tri-county area was always South Florida...
Take it up with the 1950s Florida legislature if you have such a problem with it.
We're not a directional school, we got AAU membership at the same time as Miami and are very much ahead of FSU on academics and getting fairly close overall with Miami and UF.
Also often missed is that we had branch campuses as far south as Ft. Myers at the time (FGCU was originally a USF branch campus).

If we were going to change the name now I'd suggest "University of the State of Florida" or similar to keep the acronym and reflect where USF stands in the educational pecking order in Florida compared with schools like UCF and FAU who haven't done squat when it comes to improving academics.

Take it up with the 1950s Florida legislature if you have such a problem with it.
We're not a directional school, we got AAU membership at the same time as Miami and are very much ahead of FSU on academics and getting fairly close overall with Miami and UF.
Also often missed is that we had branch campuses as far south as Ft. Myers at the time (FGCU was originally a USF branch campus).

If we were going to change the name now I'd suggest "University of the State of Florida" or similar to keep the acronym and reflect where USF stands in the educational pecking order in Florida compared with schools like UCF and FAU who haven't done squat when it comes to improving academics.
Your middle name is South.

Advertisement
I had always thought so, but apparently a USF historian has correctred the record.

It's like this.

Was the University of Miami the first college to hold up 4 fingers at the beginning of the 4th quarter? Only God knows. But we made it MEAN SOMETHING, and then everyone copied us.

Maybe someone made a Cuban ham-and-cheese sandwich in another town once, but it took off and sold mass quantities in Tampa.

And rather than "adding salami" in Tampa, it was the Miami version of the sandwich that removed salami later.

Both sandwiches are excellent, as is the media noche. But the Cuban sandwich got its REAL start in Tampa.

Nothing personal.

You're G5. Accept it.

1726851597878.png

It's like this.

Was the University of Miami the first college to hold up 4 fingers at the beginning of the 4th quarter? Only God knows. But we made it MEAN SOMETHING, and then everyone copied us.

Maybe someone made a Cuban ham-and-cheese sandwich in another town once, but it took off and sold mass quantities in Tampa.

And rather than "adding salami" in Tampa, it was the Miami version of the sandwich that removed salami later.

Both sandwiches are excellent, as is the media noche. But the Cuban sandwich got its REAL start in Tampa.

Nothing personal.
Brother, I can debate you all day and still walk away the bestest of friends as I respect your opinion no matter what.

Maybe I'll let them enjoy their apocryphal origin story next week.

USF is a directional school. The very definition of a directional school. And nobody gives a **** about your branch campuses.

And the only reason USF got AAU membership is because the 1950s Florida legislature decided to put a med school in a city (not just a swamp). The University of Miami should have been invited to the AAU in the 1980s at the same time as the University of Florida, but they have been ****-blocking us for decades (since they got mad when UM tried to become a state school, which is what caused UF to encourage the Florida Legislature to name your school USF).

USF is what it is. The University of Southwest Florida.

Advertisement
Back