at NC State today at 600pm

We made our threes. That's it. When we make our open shots from the outside, we can beat anyone in the country.

Advertisement
HemsleySalmons...

Great names. What players did you guys love before we became a more consistent basketball program? There was a stretch a little over a decade ago when we had a nice run of teams with one guy who could score enough to scare any team on any given night. Guillermo Diaz, Robert Hite, Jack McClinton... Those guys never had a ton of support though. I'd say after that, probably starting 2010, we became more established a program and had deeper teams. But I still loved watching Canes basketball when we weren't hot stuff. The turn of the century teams were actually pretty loaded and had some legit NBA talent in Tim James, Salmons and James Jones, with Hemsley and Elton Tyler who was a man on the blocks. Darius Rice was a little younger but I'll always remember him hitting a three at the buzzer against UNC in the arena opener. Anthony King, Gary Hamilton, Anthony Harris, Jimmy Graham, Bryan Asbury, James Dews, Dwayne Collins... We've had some fun guys to cheer for over the years. Maybe my favorite of all time was from when I was in elementary school though... Constantin Popa. I remember my dad taking me to see the Canes play a couple times in the early nineties and got a kick out of how tall he was and his hook shot.

Sorry, random musings over.

Mario Bland and Vernon Jennings two of my favorites

+1000 for Mario Bland. Wide body at 6'6 playing the 5 position for us. Superior high post passer (mighta been the best part of his game), shot maker, rebounder; the offense ran through him beautifully.

Advertisement
Back