Asante Samuel

Remember in 2007 when we took 7 WR's and then took 0 in 2008. Then we had Bosher our punter out playing WR? Overloading creates just as many problems as it solves.

*It spreads coaching thinner trying to coach up all those new guys at once.
*It increases chances of transfers and tarnishing reputations with the local HS you recruited from (wasted resources and schollies)
*It creates a 2019 DB recruiting problem (way harder to sell kids to commmit to an overloaded young roster)
* It creates a 2021/22 mass exodus problem if you aren't able to redshirt/retain/and recruit 2019 properly
* You can only put so many DB's on the field, we could use help at TE, OT, DT,RB much more than an 8th DB.

How the **** are you figuring Jobe a 2019 commit? Kids not even allowed to play HS because he's so old.
What dbs in 2019 class are more talented than the ones we are going after in 2018?.... this is probably the best south Florida db class in the last 20 years. We have several guys on our current roster who shouldn't be here at db and safety or up to Miami championship football standards. This will fix the depth issue and overall talent on the roster at the postion. Miami is not going to allow what a 2019 kid might think dictate how many dbs they take in 2018 who are better and more talented than them anyway... we taking at least 7 dbs man

Akeem Dent

He's not more talented than anyone of our top guys but he may be in the same tier of Campbell, jobe, hall, blades, frierson

He's a better CB then those guys

Dent is Elite !

You think so? I haven't seen it yet.

A helluva athlete though.

Advertisement
Almost all the dbs were taking are hybrids. Disagree 8 overall is overkill, especially given our depth issues at the position.

You don't solve a depth issue but creating a future one. If you sign 8 DB's and likely only 1 of them redshirt you find yourself in a position where it's hard to recruit DB's in 2019 and potentially having a mass exodus in 3-4 years with kids graduating. We're not Bama yet, we need to build depth the right way to fix it not just recruit whoever will commit.

How is loading up on elite DBs not "the right way" to fix our depth issues?? Josh Jobe is technically a 2019 commit and 1 or 2 more would obviously redshirt, issue resolved.

Remember in 2007 when we took 7 WR's and then took 0 in 2008. Then we had Bosher our punter out playing WR? Overloading creates just as many problems as it solves.

*It spreads coaching thinner trying to coach up all those new guys at once.
*It increases chances of transfers and tarnishing reputations with the local HS you recruited from (wasted resources and schollies)
*It creates a 2019 DB recruiting problem (way harder to sell kids to commmit to an overloaded young roster)
* It creates a 2021/22 mass exodus problem if you aren't able to redshirt/retain/and recruit 2019 properly
* You can only put so many DB's on the field, we could use help at TE, OT, DT,RB much more than an 8th DB.

How the **** are you figuring Jobe a 2019 commit? Kids not even allowed to play HS because he's so old.

Bosher never played WR...

Punter Brian Monroe did however, while Kyle Wright was our QB a year or 2 before the 2008 class (Shannon's first class) that was ranked #1 and had I believe 7 WRs in it.

So your post makes no sense.

Samuel is a dam fine cover corner but we've got jokels on the other thread that have raised him up to Deion Sanders' level. lol.

He's on the same level as Blades, Ivey, and Campbell.

Advertisement
Samuel is a dam fine cover corner but we've got jokels on the other thread that have raised him up to Deion Sanders' level. lol.

What makes those guys on the same level?

Samuel is a shrimp first of all. Not just heightwise but body wise - he barely tips 160lbs.

Bandy is short but he plays big. Malek Young is short but he plays big and has already proven his ability to play against p5 comp. Not sure Samuel plays big, which is why he got slowplayed by Mario. We all know how much Diaz values toughness in his cover corners.

Blades, Ivey, and Campbell are much bigger, tougher, and faster than Samuel, who reminds me of the CB version of Mike Harley actually. Ivey is silky smooth and effortlessly glides right on the WRs hips. Blades and Campbell are bullies, closing speed to make up for the fact that they are bigger and not as agile, great athleticism to make plays on the ball while in the air.

But Samuel obviously has the bloodlines and the agility to stay with slot WRs in particular - he is valuable for that, which is why i put him on the same level as the other three. You can put him up against the shifty, pesky slot WRs, the Edelman types, and he will dominate them. He is also insurance in case Bandy doesn't prove himself.

Last edited:

What makes those guys on the same level?

Samuel is a shrimp first of all. Not just heightwise but body wise - he barely tips 160lbs.

Bandy is short but he plays big. Malek Young is short but he plays big and has already proven his ability to play against p5 comp. Not sure Samuel plays big, which is why he got slowplayed by Mario. We all know how much Diaz values toughness in his cover corners.

Blades, Ivey, and Campbell are much bigger, tougher, and faster than Samuel, who reminds me of the CB version of Mike Harley actually. Ivey is silky smooth and effortlessly glides right on the WRs hips. Blades and Campbell are bullies, closing speed to make up for the fact that they are bigger and not as agile, great athleticism to make plays on the ball while in the air.

But Samuel obviously has the bloodlines and the agility to stay with slot WRs in particular - he is valuable for that, which is why i put him on the same level as the other three. You can put him up against the shifty, pesky slot WRs, the Edelman types, and he will dominate them. He is also insurance in case Bandy doesn't prove himself.

Nah i dont think we are going to have issues with Bandy living up to expectations. But I would like to get Asante Samuel also just to add more depth behind the smaller dbs like Malek Young and Trajan Bandy, who have the skillset to cover the smaller shiftier wrs.

So Samuels is smaller, slower and lighter than those other guys you mentioned but since he can cover the slot (despite his many shortcomings) he's on their level? lol

Advertisement
So Samuels is smaller, slower and lighter than those other guys you mentioned but since he can cover the slot (despite his many shortcomings) he's on their level? lol

He has better agility. That counts for a lot too when it comes to covering smaller shiftier guys. You wouldnt want a 6'2 200 Campbell covering an undersized sneaky blazer like Mike Harley, would you?

I just think people refuse to consider Asante Samuel better than who we have committed....if he was 2 inches taller, this whole entire board would be going ape **** over him...Elite cover ability and technique....but not so elite measurables...but that's okay...I will feel like we...meaning Miami CAN'T say no or turn him away....this is a 3 or 4 year starter...

He has better agility. That counts for a lot too when it comes to covering smaller shiftier guys. You wouldnt want a 6'2 200 Campbell covering an undersized sneaky blazer like Mike Harley, would you?

You called all those guys elite so they should be able to cover anybody unless you have a different def. Of elite than I have. Ivy is elite .those are your words. He's tougher, faster etc etc but he can't cover the slot? So you have a slow, weak, light guy with good feet covering a speedy slot guy? Lmfao etc.

It never fails, y'all hype who we don't have but try to downplay some of the kids we do have. Lol crazy bunch

Advertisement
8 DB's is overkill. Take Blades and Campbell and close shop and get Dent back on board for 2019.

Lol 8 is overkill but 7 is perfect?? Lol what kind of logic? I think if the talent is there and willing to hop on board, take who you can. Use redshirts to stagger their eligibility. Worry about next year numbers next year.

It never fails, y'all hype who we don't have but try to downplay some of the kids we do have. Lol crazy bunch

No. Guys like you think just because we have a kid like Ivey committed in march we should just quit recruiting or we don't need guys like Samuel.

It's like when teddy bridge water recommitted guys where saying we don't need him we have this guy. Dumb then and it's dumb now.

You called all those guys elite so they should be able to cover anybody unless you have a different def. Of elite than I have. Ivy is elite .those are your words. He's tougher, faster etc etc but he can't cover the slot? So you have a slow, weak, light guy with good feet covering a speedy slot guy? Lmfao etc.

Now you're confusing me. Samuel is elite. He just does different things because of his physique. Do you want him covering Mike Evans on a post? Or would you rather have a big, fast, physical freak like Blades or Campbell covering him? The flip side, do you want a 6'2 195lb kid covering Mike Harley? Or would you rather have a fast, shifty, agile **** like Samuel covering him?

Advertisement

No. Guys like you think just because we have a kid like Ivey committed in march we should just quit recruiting or we don't need guys like Samuel.

It's like when teddy bridge water recommitted guys where saying we don't need him we have this guy. Dumb then and it's dumb now.

pretty much AG recruiting type ****............u keep on recruiting the dogs period

Now you're confusing me. Samuel is elite. He just does different things because of his physique. Do you want him covering Mike Evans on a post? Or would you rather have a big, fast, physical freak like Blades or Campbell covering him? The flip side, do you want a 6'2 195lb kid covering Mike Harley? Or would you rather have a fast, shifty, agile **** like Samuel covering him?

You're confusing yourself. If my starting CB is elite then he should be able to cover anybody. If he's lacking in an area then there are things you do technique wise and defensive game plan wise to make up for that. You just don't keep running guys in and out the game all dam daycare you're trying to match up in the dumb way you're talking. There's a reason why you have a depth chart.

You'd be as sorry coach cause with your line of thinking an OC's would beat the **** out of your team with motion and formations creating mismatches all day exploring your "specialty" DB's.

An opposing coach can see when you're coaching scared like the BS you talking about.

Advertisement
Back