(An Offensively Mediocre) Offensive Line

You know what... I am in a really good mood today, so I will be as patient and non-insulting as possible.

Unless you are capable of showing tape, this statement has no merit. Bell was flagged once for a hands to the face where both players engaged in that and one guy complained.

The same principle applies here (and also not what I saw at all).

Ball State has not allowed a 200+ yard rusher in two years of play. That includes playing Kentucky and Georgia. I am not sure what the problem is, we have established the run.

Cool. Have fun. Ball States first half strategy was to stop the run at all costs and play 1vs1 on the back end. We led by 31 at the half.

You, on your own thinking, just explained perfectly why there was no run game in the first half. Its almost as if playing football is a numbers game and numeric advantages MATTER. And guess wtf happened once Ball State came out of half time? Assigned more people to defend the pass, we ran the ball three times and went for 6, 29 and 8. Like...

View attachment 303378

There are eight guys in the box and a ninth (!) moving down. We have seven people blocking. If Ward checks out and goes to a man-beater outside (which he procedded to do afterwards), its easy yardage.

View attachment 303379

And here is the Chris Johnson TD. I have marked every player with eyes in the backfield. I am not sure what people want. Dude had a 40 yard TD untouched because the defense was overly focused on the run. We killed them with the screen game throughout the entire game.

Imagine beating down an opponent for 750 yards, setting records in the process and then people ***** about a run game that went for 200+ yards. Un****ingbelievable.
Great stuff! Bender! You nailed it!

Advertisement
Too many in here never played any organized sport especially ball...like never sniffed the field.
Basically buncha finebaums allowed to post nonsense in here SMH
Imagine saying that in a messssssssageeeeeee boarddddd

Advertisement
The O-line has taken a significant step back with Rivers being out, but we need to call a spade a spade:

70 (Markel Bell) is not good.

Does a lot of catching, has no real push, plays very high, and is seemingly quite flat-footed. Buddy did not use his hands at all, seemingly has no punch, and was holding just about every play in pass pro.

I think the combo with him and 78 (McCoy) has been really flat and is what is killing our run game. In pass pro, McCoy is on roller skates to bull rushes from some random Ball St DTs...

We like to pull backside Guard and Tackle (Cooper & Mauigoa), or one or the other running to the left and it looks like because the front side Guard and Tackle cant crash down, those pulling plays were all blown up.

---------------------------------

From those in the "know" I heard over the weekend that coaches have said that Samson (63) has not progressed as expected, and has not been able to crack the 2 deep at guard or tackle. @DMoney can you share more insights on what is holding him back? I know he had injuries but he seems to be past that right?

Without an established run game, I am unsure about our chances to make a real run. Someone is gonna drop 8 eventually and just dare Cam to thread the needle. I like our chances but it could go poorly. What Ball St. was doing was clearly idiotic selling out for the run considering how prolific of a passer we have, but I think we need to have a serious convo about the group of guys...

Discuss...
u aint lying on Bell (I was wrong about him) and LG can be taken advantage of with the remaining schedule depending who the other team has that can take advantage of that spot.

Advertisement
People still *****ing here?
harry potter GIF

Advertisement
Looks like it's a combination of the other teams loading the box, which would have worked last year, but not with Ward at QB, and the injuries. I know Cristobal would like to establish that identity, but giving what the defense gives you is also a thing too. Offensive optics are better too. Kids see the offense flashing, which helps recruiting. One of the criticisms of Cristobal is that he gets in the way of the offense, and stopped Herbert from showing what he could do. It looks like he's more hands off this year, so maybe he's learned some things too.

For all the “this is a real problem”folks:

Georgia (CIS favorite team) played Ball State last year. Ball State did what they do every week on defense, which is commit more guys to stopping the run than can be blocked. Georgia won 45-3. They rushed for 99 total yards on 28 carries. 3.5 yards per carry. Surely that meant Georgia was going to struggle to run the Ball against “good” teams, right? They averaged 191 yards and 5.3 yards per carry for the season against mostly good SEC defenses. I’m not going to **** my pants because Miami “only” rushed for 243 yards and 7.8 yards per carry against Ball State.

Our run blocking was average last year too
Not really. We were near the top in yards per carry and yards before contact. And that was playing half our games with ineffective quarterbacks.

Advertisement
For all the “this is a real problem”folks:

Georgia (CIS favorite team) played Ball State last year. Ball State did what they do every week on defense, which is commit more guys to stopping the run than can be blocked. Georgia won 45-3. They rushed for 99 total yards on 28 carries. 3.5 yards per carry. Surely that meant Georgia was going to struggle to run the Ball against “good” teams, right? They averaged 191 yards and 5.3 yards per carry for the season against mostly good SEC defenses. I’m not going to **** my pants because Miami “only” rushed for 243 yards and 7.8 yards per carry against Ball State.
Anyone with a half a brain should be drawing conclusions from 3 games and noticing ball state switched up some guys at half time once the game was out of reach. You may end up being correct but your reasoning is flawed.

Anyone with a half a brain should be drawing conclusions from 3 games and noticing ball state switched up some guys at half time once the game was out of reach. You may end up being correct but your reasoning is flawed.
So Georgia has problems running the football? Because Ball State shut their running game down. I also didn’t see them empty their bench at half time. They dropped more guys into coverage to try to stop the pass and no longer had the run game numbers advantage.

So Georgia has problems running the football? Because Ball State shut their running game down. I also didn’t see them empty their bench at half time. They dropped more guys into coverage to try to stop the pass and no longer had the run game numbers advantage.
They put their backup qb and several others in the game for snaps. I question if some of you guys actually pay attention during the games.

Advertisement
Back