Amarius Mims Elite 2021 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I wonder if Jermaine Johnson's success as a transfer from UGA has any part of his interest in FSU? Like Johnson he would be the "big fish" and certainly stand out. I could see Norvell and Atkins selling that... Not sure how much , if any, overlap they had at UGA
None he was freshman last year when Johnson had transferred already.

Advertisement
FSU is falling apart like Miami did, just a few years behind on the timeline. I remember when we were able to convince ourselves that recruits were going to choose us after a 1 day visit before they visited the presumed leader for an entire 3 day weekend.

They are ignoring the signs right in front of their faces.
Watching FSU the past few years is almost like watching an endangered species go extinct, except it's funny and not sad

I wonder if Jermaine Johnson's success as a transfer from UGA has any part of his interest in FSU? Like Johnson he would be the "big fish" and certainly stand out. I could see Norvell and Atkins selling that... Not sure how much , if any, overlap they had at UGA

They didn’t overlap but you can bet your absolute *** this will be Norvell’s main pitch. “Look what Jermaine just did, same school, you have the same opportunity here, blah blah.” That will be said to him no fewer than 20 times if/when he visits tally.

No it is Funny & Sad....Funny that the program is imploding,...and Sad that Desi Diaz lost to this Garbage *** team....
I'm not even mad about that at this point.

Dead ***.

Diaz losing ripped whatever bandaid was left on and the wound bled out all the puss. We are in a much much much better place.

Imagine all of us clamoring to donate 10 bucks for a recruit? Child please. Lol

Advertisement
They didn’t overlap but you can bet your absolute *** this will be Norvell’s main pitch. “Look what Jermaine just did, same school, you have the same opportunity here, blah blah.” That will be said to him no fewer than 20 times if/when he visits tally.
But if kid is smart he knows there is a big difference in creating production on his own. Johnson could get pressure by himself at DE regardless of what’s around him. OT production is highly based on the rest of the line, RB, and QB play. Harder to stand out on your own at OT. That’s highly simplified, but you get the point.

We also have plenty of transfers to show off, especially Mario and Mirabal displaying Sewell front and center. You know, the guy that actually played his same position and went top 10?

But if kid is smart he knows there is a big difference in creating production on his own. Johnson could get pressure by himself at DE regardless of what’s around him. OT production is highly based on the rest of the line, RB, and QB play. Harder to stand out on your own at OT. That’s highly simplified, but you get the point.

We also have plenty of transfers to show off, especially Mario and Mirabal displaying Sewell front and center. You know, the guy that actually played his same position and went top 10?

Nah. Bryant McKinnie didn’t go in the first round because of Martin Bibla or Ken Dorsey or Clinton Portis. It was because he flat out dominated the kid in front of him on every snap. Tackle is a position where you can easily put enough on tape to Go as high as you want to regardless of what others are doing.

Nah. Bryant McKinnie didn’t go in the first round because of Martin Bibla or Ken Dorsey or Clinton Portis. It was because he flat out dominated the kid in front of him on every snap. Tackle is a position where you can easily put enough on tape to Go as high as you want to regardless of what others are doing.
True you have to have talent, but does he get the same attention if the rest of that line sucked? If he wasn’t on a good team? Maybe? But I feel players’ value is always increased by how good the team is.

Advertisement
Watching FSU the past few years is almost like watching an endangered species go extinct, except it's funny and not sad

LOL!

They’re still in the “Al Golden” cycle of mediocrity.

Next up is washed up prominent coach who’s been fired (Franklin @ PSU?)

Anyone have some shots of FSUs 247 board? Would be a great way to start the morning.
Don’t feel like taking screenshots, but the tune has definitely changed. I’m about 4 pages in and most of them have given up hope. They must have gotten news that he’s visiting them for 1 night then 3 nights for us. The last 2 pages have been some guy showing pictures of his hookers he sees in Costa Rica. No joke.

I mean...you make a reasonable point...

However, it's a lot harder for an OL to "stand out" than a DL. AT least Johnson has stats to point to, tackles, sacks, TFLs...what can ONE good OL on a crappy OL do? He might be able to block his man one-on-one all season long, but if that OL gives up dozens of sacks and the running game never gets untracked, there will be a dead-fish stench all over him.

Advertisement
LOL!

They’re still in the “Al Golden” cycle of mediocrity.

Next up is washed up prominent coach who’s been fired (Franklin @ PSU?)
Yeah but their situation is a lot worse, firing a dude after two years was another reset. A second Golden, if you will. And with NIL now a major player and them apparently not having the support at this point, it could take a lot longer.

True you have to have talent, but does he get the same attention if the rest of that line sucked? If he wasn’t on a good team? Maybe? But I feel players’ value is always increased by how good the team is.

Yeah, scouts watch film. They don't care what your team did. Surely playing on an elite team gets you more attention from the media, but it doesn't really matter too much. Cream rises to the top via the tape and testing. That's really what it's all about.

For example, in the 2021 draft, Christian Darrisaw went 23rd from VT. They're probably about as good as FSU. So yes, kids like Leatherwood and Sewell played for good teams. But plenty of high picks at tackle come from unheralded situations. Again, it's what you put on tape and how you test at the combine/pro day. If you're elite at tackle, you can do more than enough to be highly selected regardless of most other factors.

You actually made his point. McKinnie was dominant, but the rest of the team around him was dominant too. And in that situation, a great player can perform even better (you're not trying to overcompensate for lesser players, you're not trying to do too much, etc.) and you'll get more attention from scouts.

If you put McKinnie on some of UM's worst offensive lines, he's still McKinnie, but he may not play with the same confidence and aggression, and he may not be noticed. In fact, many OLs are questioned about whether they can adapt to a particular blocking scheme if they haven't done it before, which is independent of their physical size/strength. Not denying that McKinnie was a dominator, just saying he may not have been noticed and/or picked as high if he was playing on the 2021 F$U offensive line.

I know we'd all like to think that the best players will always be spotted and selected, but this is why "small school" guys have slid down the draft, historically. And don't even get me started by how many UM players have gone in the 6th or 7th rounds over the past 15 years because we haven't been "2001-dominant" since that time, and how those same players likely would have gone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds if they had played on that 2001 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back