ACCCG - POTENTIAL site move

Mostly it's the latter.

Went down something like this: Several months back, the city of Charlotte passed an ordinance that codified that trans people could use the bathroom of their choice in any business or public building in city limits. Not a big deal, since A) they'd been doing this already, but without legal protection, and B) there was a lot of precedent for this, since more than 200 cities and 12 states already have similar laws on the books permitting them to do this legally.

The overwhelmingly conservative legislature of NC called an emergency session (they were out of session at the time) to overturn the Charlotte ordinance. Withing 24 hours, they passed a bill that not only overturned that ordinance, but it also disallowed *** and trans people from being included in non-discrimination policies in the state. And it disallowed any city in the state from making their own anti-discrim policies (many cities control their own policies in this regard, over and above what the state provides for). And, on a totally unrelated note, it disallowed any city from making its own policies regarding minimum wage.

Thank you for the recap.

Interesting how NC does not want the federal government dictating policy to them, but are more than willing to dictate policy to cities within their borders. Is Charlotte an educated island in NC, like Austin is in Texas?

It would be nice if you educated yourself about the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

I think that kinda misses the point. No one's saying that it's unconstitutional...but rather that it's a bit hypocritical.

Rs are notorious for wanting to decentralize govt. That means not just wresting power away from the federal government and putting it in the hands of states, but also allowing city governments to have a sizable voice and control of their own. At least until the city governments begin to make liberal social policies that conservative Republican legislators don't like, that is.

The constitution defines our federal system; it has nothing to do with municipalities.

Funny how you want to define what Republicans ("Rs") are "notorious for." If anything has been learned this election cycle, it's that the "Classic Republican" i.e. a free trade, no support for manufacturing, and Neo-Con interventionist is not the freely nominated party standard bearer. The "Rs" openly nominated someone diametrically opposed to these philosophies, while the Democrat elites (See Wasserman-Schultz, Debbie, See Super Delegates) have nominated a candidate bankrolled by Goldman Sachs, Saudia Arabia, and is an avowed interventionist (See Iraq, See Libya).

Don't like a state law? Then work to change it. Complaining about gerrymandering is a cop-out; both parties do it. Seems these "educated enclaves" can't learn how to gain a legislative majority or the governership.

I'm all for anything All Carolina Conference being out of NC, but trying to make a political statement out of it is foolish, especially if taken to the illogical liberal activist end: No student should attend any North Carolina state-supported institution to deny any possibility of tuition payments, fees, etc. making it into the state's coffers.

I may love Tobacco Road being starved, but John Swofford may rue the day he put the metephorical gun to his head and to that of his his beloved Heels (okay, wouldn't mind that happening either).

I'm not trying to start a full-on R vs. D war here, and I'm not particularly interested in talking about Neo-Cons, Wasserman-Shulz, Goldman Sachs, Trump, or anything else having to do with the election. Nor am I interested in talking about the constitutionality of it all...as I've already stated, I understand that it is wholly within the constitution for states to overturn/supercede city ordinances.

What I am trying to do is provide some context concerning this law within NC. And while I agree that Rs and Ds both gerrymander to their advantage, the recent case of Republican gerrymandering in NC has been so egregious as to warrant the US district court to force NC to redraw congressional district lines. And even those recently redrawn lines are now in question, and the US Supreme Ct is going to hear the case. So let's not pretend that it hasn't had a large (and shady) impact on the political landscape of the state at present. Be my guest and google it if you don't want to take my word for it.

Bottom line is that the residents of the state did not have a voice concerning the NC law. It was not put to a popular vote. It was not debated. It was not even on the radar of state-level politics. It was passed under cover of darkness in an "emergency" legislative session in which Rs held court, and in which conservatives wanted to make a political statement against the LGBT community and liberals in general. It has had (and continues to have) disastrous impacts on the state's economy. And the majority of residents in the state are in favor of overturning the law. Yet Governor McCrory refuses to listen to the residents, and instead doubles down on the law and criticizes the "liberal elites," all while watching thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars leave his state.

Make no mistake, it was McCrory and the state legislature who have sought to make a political statement of this. Hundreds of businesses have heard that statement and have responded by either pulling their money out of the state, or by making public pronouncements against the legislature.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Have friend at NCAA (yes I ruthlessly bash at every opportunity)...

Now that NBA has pulled All-Star game from NC in response to HB2 (for the corch and croot crowd..its the transgender bathroom law), rumblings are ACC starting discussions to pull ACCCG from Charlotte potentially this season...almost definitively next season...if NC legislature doesnt "remedy" HB2.

PC gestapo strikes again.

Living in NC its more than a bathroom law, there are multiple issues with the law but I saw this coming as soon as the NCAA sent the state and the UNC system letters after HB2 stating that it violated title 9 of the civil rights act and they were considering pulling funding from all public colleges. The NCAA also stated in a release they were looking to move all of their championship and tournament games from NC due to this law.

Thank you for the recap.

Interesting how NC does not want the federal government dictating policy to them, but are more than willing to dictate policy to cities within their borders. Is Charlotte an educated island in NC, like Austin is in Texas?

It would be nice if you educated yourself about the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

I think that kinda misses the point. No one's saying that it's unconstitutional...but rather that it's a bit hypocritical.

Rs are notorious for wanting to decentralize govt. That means not just wresting power away from the federal government and putting it in the hands of states, but also allowing city governments to have a sizable voice and control of their own. At least until the city governments begin to make liberal social policies that conservative Republican legislators don't like, that is.

The constitution defines our federal system; it has nothing to do with municipalities.

Funny how you want to define what Republicans ("Rs") are "notorious for." If anything has been learned this election cycle, it's that the "Classic Republican" i.e. a free trade, no support for manufacturing, and Neo-Con interventionist is not the freely nominated party standard bearer. The "Rs" openly nominated someone diametrically opposed to these philosophies, while the Democrat elites (See Wasserman-Schultz, Debbie, See Super Delegates) have nominated a candidate bankrolled by Goldman Sachs, Saudia Arabia, and is an avowed interventionist (See Iraq, See Libya).

Don't like a state law? Then work to change it. Complaining about gerrymandering is a cop-out; both parties do it. Seems these "educated enclaves" can't learn how to gain a legislative majority or the governership.

I'm all for anything All Carolina Conference being out of NC, but trying to make a political statement out of it is foolish, especially if taken to the illogical liberal activist end: No student should attend any North Carolina state-supported institution to deny any possibility of tuition payments, fees, etc. making it into the state's coffers.

I may love Tobacco Road being starved, but John Swofford may rue the day he put the metephorical gun to his head and to that of his his beloved Heels (okay, wouldn't mind that happening either).

I'm not trying to start a full-on R vs. D war here, and I'm not particularly interested in talking about Neo-Cons, Wasserman-Shulz, Goldman Sachs, Trump, or anything else having to do with the election. Nor am I interested in talking about the constitutionality of it all...as I've already stated, I understand that it is wholly within the constitution for states to overturn/supercede city ordinances.

What I am trying to do is provide some context concerning this law within NC. And while I agree that Rs and Ds both gerrymander to their advantage, the recent case of Republican gerrymandering in NC has been so egregious as to warrant the US district court to force NC to redraw congressional district lines. And even those recently redrawn lines are now in question, and the US Supreme Ct is going to hear the case. So let's not pretend that it hasn't had a large (and shady) impact on the political landscape of the state at present. Be my guest and google it if you don't want to take my word for it.

Bottom line is that the residents of the state did not have a voice concerning the NC law. It was not put to a popular vote. It was not debated. It was not even on the radar of state-level politics. It was passed under cover of darkness in an "emergency" legislative session in which Rs held court, and in which conservatives wanted to make a political statement against the LGBT community and liberals in general. It has had (and continues to have) disastrous impacts on the state's economy. And the majority of residents in the state are in favor of overturning the law. Yet Governor McCrory refuses to listen to the residents, and instead doubles down on the law and criticizes the "liberal elites," all while watching thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars leave his state.

This law also eliminates all state level lawsuits for any form of discrimination. So if you are black, ******, catholic, spanish, ***, blonde, or any human you have no recourse at the state level. You would have to bring this to the federal level and well yeah that pretty much eliminates that. As you said it also dictates that only the state can make policies on discrimination and min. wage. Its a pretty over reaching ugly bill. We have lost more than just PayPal and the AllStar game at this point but we won't know how much we lost until the dust settles.

Advertisement
Back