ACC Tourney game #2

Advertisement
Show me the numbers of other top end closers in college. I would like to see a comparison.

I took a random sample of other major conference closers who have 12+ saves this season

WHIP
Troy Rallings (Washington): 0.72
Shaun Anderson (Florida): 0.87
Thomas Burrows (Alabama): 0.99
Wyatt Short (Ole Miss): 1.04
Bryan Garcia (Miami): 1.16

Show me the numbers of other top end closers in college. I would like to see a comparison.

I took a random sample of other major conference closers who have 12+ saves this season

WHIP
Troy Rallings (Washington): 0.72
Shaun Anderson (Florida): 0.87
Thomas Burrows (Alabama): 0.99
Wyatt Short (Ole Miss): 1.04
Bryan Garcia (Miami): 1.16

Garcia's WHIP has gone up the last 4-5 appearances before that it was close to 1 and I think under 1.

Really tough to understand why Miami didn't make a move for Chapman when the Yankees did. Price was low. Fail by Morris.

I know it is difficult for the overly emotional to understand, but there is a distinct difference between Garcia making you nervous and him:
- Not getting the job done
- Not being a Hall of Fame MLB level closer
- Him "messing" around

He may fail in the post season. We may lose. But some of you ****s have been on his *** all season and he has been pretty **** good for us this year.

That said, I am still ****ed about the blown save in the World Series against the Diamondbacks, and at least 1 of those 4 straight losses to the Sox in 04 were on him.

I don't think anybody is blaming Morris for Garcia's adventurous outings. That would be silly. The only thing he can do is put his best option out there and take the result.

What they're saying (and what I agree with) is that he puts too many guys on base for a top-level closer and that it's likely going to turn on him at some point.

I agree he puts too many on base. My problem is the emotional criticism of him - most of the year.

For example, he did not "mess around" or "rely too much on his fastball" yesterday. He gave up two hits - one on the first pitch of the inning going right at the hitter and a second on the 8th pitch of the at bat going away from the fastball. People are literally using the top 4 major league closers of all time as a criticism of Garcia's make up.

Emotional criticism? Is there a different kind of criticism that you would rather see? Because no matter what you call it, the criticism is still the same: too many runners get on base against our closer. You can compare him to Mariano Rivera or David Gutierrez, nothing changes. Too many hitters reach base against our closer. Period.

Advertisement
Really tough to understand why Miami didn't make a move for Chapman when the Yankees did. Price was low. Fail by Morris.

I know it is difficult for the overly emotional to understand, but there is a distinct difference between Garcia making you nervous and him:
- Not getting the job done
- Not being a Hall of Fame MLB level closer
- Him "messing" around

He may fail in the post season. We may lose. But some of you ****s have been on his *** all season and he has been pretty **** good for us this year.

That said, I am still ****ed about the blown save in the World Series against the Diamondbacks, and at least 1 of those 4 straight losses to the Sox in 04 were on him.

I don't think anybody is blaming Morris for Garcia's adventurous outings. That would be silly. The only thing he can do is put his best option out there and take the result.

What they're saying (and what I agree with) is that he puts too many guys on base for a top-level closer and that it's likely going to turn on him at some point.

I agree he puts too many on base. My problem is the emotional criticism of him - most of the year.

For example, he did not "mess around" or "rely too much on his fastball" yesterday. He gave up two hits - one on the first pitch of the inning going right at the hitter and a second on the 8th pitch of the at bat going away from the fastball. People are literally using the top 4 major league closers of all time as a criticism of Garcia's make up.

His makeup cannot be questioned. You don't have 40 career saves if you don't have the makeup to be a closer. How many blown saves does he have this season 2? I remember he blew save against Pitt.

Nuance, people.

I never said Garcia was garbage. I never said he wasn't the best option at closer that we've got on the roster. I never said he wasn't one of the best in the nation in that role. He has a great fastball, nice changeup, and an excellent slider when he locates it well. 40 saves is a spectacular achievement, and he gets every bit of credit from me for reaching that number.

I just don't get all the jock riding with him when he clearly isn't a shutdown stopper type of guy. He makes things FAR too interesting every outing, and it seems to be getting worse with every outing. There is reason to worry if the game is within 3 runs and we bring him in. That is something that you just can't say about "great" closers.

Advertisement
Back