ACC Tourney game #2

So you're okay with giving up two base hits in the bottom of the 9th in a one run game? And allowing baserunners in virtually every save situation?

Advertisement
Was he the closer in 2008 when we fell apart?

Yes. Same kind of stuff. Walks, hits, but he managed to hold on to the "closer" role. He gave up three hits and made an error for good measure in the 9th inning of that game.

Yep. The older I get I tend to not remember the players names but I always remember the plays. That was sickening. I actually missed the start of the next game we played because I never thought we would be in the losers bracket and just knew what time the winners game started.

OKEY lined out to rf (2-1).
BEER doubled to right field (1-2).
WILSON walked (3-1); BEER advanced to third on a wild pitch.
WHITE struck out looking (1-2).
BRYANT pinch ran for BEER.
WILSON stole second.
WHARTON singled to left field, advanced to second on the throw, 2 RBI (2-2); WILSON scored; BRYANT scored.
CAMPANA flied out to cf (0-0).

Garcia, B. to p for Bartow, F..
Kowalczyk singled up the middle (1-0).
Maldonado grounded out to ss (0-2); Kowalczyk advanced to second.
Kowalczyk advanced to third on a passed ball.
Yanni singled up the middle, RBI (3-2); Kowalczyk scored. 5-7
Parry singled through the right side (1-1); Yanni advanced to second.
McAllister pinch ran for Parry.
Schnurbusch singled to right field, RBI (0-1); McAllister advanced to second; Yanni scored. 6-7
Johnson struck out looking (1-2).
Wright lined out to lf (2-1).

Yanni popped up to lf (0-2).
Wright pinch hit for Pazos.
Wright doubled to right center (3-2).
Maldonado singled to left field, advanced to second on a fielding error by rf (1-2); Wright scored, unearned. 3-3
Leblanc intentionally walked (3-0).
Kowalczyk struck out swinging (0-2).
Yarnall walked (3-1); Leblanc advanced to second; Maldonado advanced to third.
Sherman struck out looking (1-2).

Johnson, K flied out to rf (2-2).
English, T singled through the right side (0-2).
Craport, T singled through the right side (0-1); English, T advanced to second.
Stallings, B reached on a fielder's choice to second base (1-0); Craport, T out at second 2b to ss; English, T advanced to third.
Innis, K walked (3-2); Stallings, B advanced to second.
Pabst, A pinch hit for Bart, J.
Pabst, A struck out swinging (0-2).

The point is, luck eventually catches up to you and that last ground ball hits a rock or the umpire blows a 3-2 call or some other event that is out of your control. And it will hurt because of the two or three baserunners he has already allowed.

I've never seen a true baseball person say that all of those baserunners are of no concern just because the kid is the all time Miami saves leader. The truth of the matter is that he holds that distinction because he is one of the few guys who was ever handed that job as a sophomore. It is more of a Lifetime Achievement Award than it is a credit to his recent outings.

Advertisement
video link didn't work, here is a gif of it instead.

Edgar%20Michelangi%20bat%20flip_zpshd5rtn7m.gif

Last edited:
Garcia has gone three up and three down only twice in save situations this year, and those were against Rutgers and FAU. In every other save situation he has allowed at least one baserunner.

Really tough to understand why Miami didn't make a move for Chapman when the Yankees did. Price was low. Fail by Morris.

I know it is difficult for the overly emotional to understand, but there is a distinct difference between Garcia making you nervous and him:
- Not getting the job done
- Not being a Hall of Fame MLB level closer
- Him "messing" around

He may fail in the post season. We may lose. But some of you ***** have been on his *** all season and he has been pretty **** good for us this year.

That said, I am still ****ed about the blown save in the World Series against the Diamondbacks, and at least 1 of those 4 straight losses to the Sox in 04 were on him.

Advertisement
People act like Garcia walked the bases loaded. And like Aroldis Chapman is sitting in the pen, but Morris won't use him.
That's not the point. Yes, he's the best closer we have, but you look at guys who are "great" closers, they don't fvck around nearly as much as Garcia does on as regular of a basis as he does.

So he's not pretty enough for you? Cry about it.

The fact is he is Miami's ALL-TIME SAVES LEADER, and has actually blown very few saves. There's a difference between saying he makes you nervous and saying he's not great.

Garcia clearly is a great closer
Again - great closers close the door and make the opponent **** themselves. When Garcia gets on the mound, the other team isn't freaking out like teams did against the likes of Smith/Rivera/Hoffman/Eckersley. Those guys are great.

I might be able to agree with he's a "great" collegiate closer, but he still makes things far too interesting than he should. Pretty has nothing to do with it. I love it when players can be dirtbags and make something out of nothing with hustle and effort, no matter how ugly. Pitching, especially being the closer, is a whole 'nother deal though. Your closer should come in and stop **** in its tracks...not allow rallies to start for the opponent on a regular basis. Garcia battles out of more than his fair share, but you keep playing with fire...you get burnt.

Fact.

I have no problem with rah rah fans and "just look at the results!" type responses, but there is reality in there as well.

Garcia had great stuff. He is by far our best option at closer. He has the most saves in conference. All facts.

To identify the simple FACT that he isn't a dominant shut down closer that rarely puts guys on the bag is REALITY.

We all want the end result, but it is pretty clear that many batters sit on his fast ball and if his location is barely off...there will be hits. Doesn't mean he isn't a good closer and the best we have...it just means that we sweat more than we would like and we should really hope that we are up at least 3.

Good post.

Was he the closer in 2008 when we fell apart?

Yes. Same kind of stuff. Walks, hits, but he managed to hold on to the "closer" role. He gave up three hits and made an error for good measure in the 9th inning of that game.

Yep. The older I get I tend to not remember the players names but I always remember the plays. That was sickening. I actually missed the start of the next game we played because I never thought we would be in the losers bracket and just knew what time the winners game started.

If Bellamy was closing instead of setting up Gutz in 2008, the CWS may have gone very differently.

He seems to pitch better with guys on base, reminds me of pappelbon, the minute someone gets on base the fire gets going and he gets in the zone

Advertisement
Really tough to understand why Miami didn't make a move for Chapman when the Yankees did. Price was low. Fail by Morris.

I know it is difficult for the overly emotional to understand, but there is a distinct difference between Garcia making you nervous and him:
- Him "messing" around

He may fail in the post season. We may lose. But some of you ****s have been on his *** all season and he has been pretty **** good for us this year.

That said, I am still ****ed about the blown save in the World Series against the Diamondbacks, and at least 1 of those 4 straight losses to the Sox in 04 were on him.

Lame. We're discussing baseball and it's a valid concern.

People act like Garcia walked the bases loaded. And like Aroldis Chapman is sitting in the pen, but Morris won't use him.
That's not the point. Yes, he's the best closer we have, but you look at guys who are "great" closers, they don't fvck around nearly as much as Garcia does on as regular of a basis as he does.

So he's not pretty enough for you? Cry about it.

The fact is he is Miami's ALL-TIME SAVES LEADER, and has actually blown very few saves. There's a difference between saying he makes you nervous and saying he's not great.

Garcia clearly is a great closer
Again - great closers close the door and make the opponent **** themselves. When Garcia gets on the mound, the other team isn't freaking out like teams did against the likes of Smith/Rivera/Hoffman/Eckersley. Those guys are great.

I might be able to agree with he's a "great" collegiate closer, but he still makes things far too interesting than he should. Pretty has nothing to do with it. I love it when players can be dirtbags and make something out of nothing with hustle and effort, no matter how ugly. Pitching, especially being the closer, is a whole 'nother deal though. Your closer should come in and stop **** in its tracks...not allow rallies to start for the opponent on a regular basis. Garcia battles out of more than his fair share, but you keep playing with fire...you get burnt.

Last time I looked He was a college closer, he is not in the majors. so what is your point?

Advertisement
That's right, CTCANE. You tell him. Everything is roses. And when Garcia blows a game and costs us the season, everything is still okay and we can try it again next year.

- Him "messing" around

He may fail in the post season. We may lose. But some of you ****s have been on his *** all season and he has been pretty **** good for us this year.

I don't think anybody is blaming Morris for Garcia's adventurous outings. That would be silly. The only thing he can do is put his best option out there and take the result.

What they're saying (and what I agree with) is that he puts too many guys on base for a top-level closer and that it's likely going to turn on him at some point.

- Him "messing" around

I don't think anybody is blaming Morris for Garcia's adventurous outings. That would be silly. The only thing he can do is put his best option out there and take the result.

What they're saying (and what I agree with) is that he puts too many guys on base for a top-level closer and that it's likely going to turn on him at some point.

Show me the numbers of other top end closers in college. I would like to see a comparison.

Advertisement
Back