3/15 vs Loyola-Chicago 3:15pm First Round NCAAT (TRUTV)

Advertisement
I'm actually disappointed we didn't shoot more 3s. We made 4 of 9. Should have shot more. Sam didn't get one shot off all game. And dj shot just one 3 and drained it. I'd like to see those 2 get more 3 pt shots. We lose by 2 but had they actually shot the ball we may win. Those 2 can shoot.

lonnie doesnt care. he is thinking nba. he is gone.
Eh I disagree, but who knows. Lonnie has always been different, and more mature. He's very passionate about school, and winning for his city and team. He wants to be a leader that people look up to, which is why the letter he wrote is in every high school in Reading. I don't know if potentially being a seldom used NBA player for 1-2 years of development outweighs 1-2 more years of growth and winning big here. It might come down to whether or not his family needs the money.

I'm actually disappointed we didn't shoot more 3s. We made 4 of 9. Should have shot more. Sam didn't get one shot off all game. And dj shot just one 3 and drained it. I'd like to see those 2 get more 3 pt shots. We lose by 2 but had they actually shot the ball we may win. Those 2 can shoot.
Seemed like the gameplan was to drive because of their lack of height. I wish DJ had shot more too.

The games are enjoyable to attend. I like the peripheral stuff like the gigs they use during time outs -- half court shot, 3 point shooting, full court golf putt, 15 second challenge, etc. That girl who graduated from the band and used to twirl her hair all over the place -- Rachel -- is used as one of the time out contestants virtually every game. Maybe they think we'll never notice. It's like they can't think of anyone else so they grab Rachel again. Not that I mind. But it's like a hint not to take the basketball program too seriously.

I have no idea how anyone gets invested in this team. We have no upside. We're a scrappy team that can upset the blue bloods once in a while, but basketball math requires so much more than that. Six consecutive wins. How in heck are we supposed to string six tournament wins, given our talent level? It is difficult not to laugh at the absurdity. Today we were a 2 point favorite in an opening game, over a double digit seed from a lesser conference. Now project that outward and upward. No chance at all. This season or any season. That's why a couple of years ago it was hilarious around here when somebody posted a poll asking which sport would produce the next Canes national championship, and some posters were actually selecting basketball. Their rationale was that Larranaga was the best coach we had. Well isn't that wonderful. Apparently the math steps aside. I posted that football and baseball were close, but that we had absolutely no chance in basketball. As always, big picture over details.

Those programs we manage to upset once in a while, like Duke and North Carolina, they aren't 2 point favorites in opening games. At their best they can be double digit chalk well into the tournament. And that's all the difference.

Elite margin for error talent.

Walker has no idea what he's doing out there. A few times per game a gap opens up like a playground game. Then he's fine. Otherwise he's paralyzed. No confidence to drive to the basket, or variety of ways to get there. Year after year we never find a kid who can confidently create his own shot from anywhere. Lykes could -- at 6-2.

Minus that type of player we also never have waves of string bean athletic front court kids, like Florida State always manages.

It is mind boggling how the in bounds pass is an annual achilles heel. Apparently Larranaga either ignores that aspect completely or has no idea how to coach it. This season at least we did not resort to tossing it deep into the backcourt as frequently. But today while leading 62-61 the typical weaknesses surfaced. Only Lykes came back for the ball. He was double teamed. Apparently our design assumed Lykes was the only option needed. Finally Walker raced down the sideline. But since that scenario is hardly a team strength or well practiced, Walker made an unnecessary spin move after receiving the ball, instead of recognizing that he would be fouled immediately and that ball security was the only priority.

As soon as we made that gaffe I fully expected a defeat. Everything that followed seemed like a mere technicality.

Can anyone imagine the reaction here if Walker had made the clutch shot from the baseline to take a 62-60 lead, and then Newton followed with a choke turnover and missed front end? This thread would be 50 pages and growing, along with subordinate threads ranting against Newton.

Advertisement
It is just a cluster ***** of confusion when we are on offense. Loyola looked like they knew what they were doing on most possessions and we looked like we were waiting for someone to step up and bail us out on most possessions.

Wow what an indictment. Not a top 5 coach! Fire his ***! We could find a top 5 coach tomorrow!
Did I ever say to fire him? All I'm saying is he's not some invincible coaching God like some of the posters on this board claim he is. He's flawed, and that's been exposed the last two seasons, especially in March.

Advertisement
Can anyone imagine the reaction here if Walker had made the clutch shot from the baseline to take a 62-60 lead, and then Newton followed with a choke turnover and missed front end? This thread would be 50 pages and growing, along with subordinate threads ranting against Newton.[/QUOTE]

That I agree with...the rest...nah.

Looking back at this season, there was a hangover that started in late September with the announcement of the FBI investigation. Then when the season started a huge mistake was made, I feel, by travelling 10,000 miles and not having a home game for a month...couple that with Walker recovering from the injury. When some semblance of normalcy was gained...BB went down. There were some great moments...Minnesota early on, Louisville, Notre Dame, UNC, and VT two times. And we all know about the low points.

When all is said and done...the season was just an underachievement caused by some circumstances out of their control. I will just wait an see what announcements are made about who is returning but either way I am not going to burn next year's tickets.

I am not so sure that even if BB or IV do not return that this team is not a tourney team. Miles Wilson coming in could provide the spark that is needed just like Angel did a few years back. I can remember watching Angel play in the first game in the Puerto Rico Tourney and thinking that they have a Larkin replacement. Hopefully Huell will put an entire season together and be the monster that he was in certain stretches, Amp is always consistent, Izundu, Waard, Lykes, and DJ will only get better...and add Gak and Wilson into the mix. It's really not that bad. Still a lot to look forward to. Remember where the 2013 was predicted to finish?

Last edited:
Can anyone imagine the reaction here if Walker had made the clutch shot from the baseline to take a 62-60 lead, and then Newton followed with a choke turnover and missed front end? This thread would be 50 pages and growing, along with subordinate threads ranting against Newton.

Looking back at this season, there was a hangover that started in late September with the announcement of the FBI investigation. Then when the season started a huge mistake was made, I feel, by travelling 10,000 miles and not having a home game for a month...couple that with Walker recovering from the injury. When some semblance of normalcy was gained...BB went down. There were some great moments...Minnesota early on, Louisville, Notre Dame, UNC, and VT two times. And we all know about the low points.

When all is said and done...the season was just an underachievement caused by some circumstances out of their control. I will just wait an see what announcements are made about who is returning but either way I am not going to burn next year's tickets.

I am not so sure that even if BB or IV do not return that this team is not a tourney team. Miles Wilson coming in could provide the spark that is needed just like Angel did a few years back. I can remember watching Angel play in the first game in the Puerto Rico Tourney and thinking that they have a Larkin replacement. Hopefully Huell will put an entire season together and be the monster that he was in certain stretches, Amp is always consistent, Izundu, Waard, Lykes, and DJ will only get better...and add Gak and Wilson into the mix. It's really not that bad. Still a lot to look forward to. Remember where the 2013 was predicted to finish?[/QUOTE]
Amp is always consistent?! What the what?!

I am not so sure that even if BB or IV do not return that this team is not a tourney team. Miles Wilson coming in could provide the spark that is needed just like Angel did a few years back. I can remember watching Angel play in the first game in the Puerto Rico Tourney and thinking that they have a Larkin replacement. Hopefully Huell will put an entire season together and be the monster that he was in certain stretches, Amp is always consistent, Izundu, Waard, Lykes, and DJ will only get better...and add Gak and Wilson into the mix. It's really not that bad. Still a lot to look forward to. Remember where the 2013 was predicted to finish?
Amp is always consistent?! What the what?![/QUOTE]
He was the best defensive player on the floor for the entire season and averaged just under 10 points per game. Look at his stats...improved offensive numbers every year with the exception of fg%. And that is just because he is now taking more shots.

Advertisement
Defensively sure he wasn't bad. But look at his game log. 2 very good games and just way too many bad ones. So I guess he was consistent lol just not in the way you'd want.

Advertisement
Tenn had much fewer turnovers than us, too, and shot decently. Loyola still won. Even outrebounded them (though with fewer offensive boards than we gave up). Loyola is proving to be really good. But it doesn't make our loss palatable bc we lost as a result of things within our own control. We should be Sweet 16 bound.

Advertisement
Back