2020-21 season has begun

Advertisement
Might be of passing interest if not the actual ($) trait:

Earl seems renown for his defense, 2-way player, etc. Some have been extra heavy with compliments, and noted was his "desire to be put on the best player the opposition has". Might be the "trait" but just guessing.

Of course, it's all good to hear anyway.

Might be of passing interest if not the actual ($) trait:

Earl seems renown for his defense, 2-way player, etc. Some have been extra heavy with compliments, and noted was his "desire to be put on the best player the opposition has". Might be the "trait" but just guessing.

Of course, it's all good to hear anyway.

Honestly, that is the reason why I thought Earl would start as a freshman at SF. His approach to the game is something the team needs.
Funny, I am still trying to figure out when it became acceptable for basketball players to be one way players.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Interesting Coach L presser: he thinks Canes were worst defensive team in ACC and Sam is(was) best defensive player. That is scary. We seem to focus on offensive issues here, so I did some research. While many say 50-50 or 60-40 either way, it seems by about 60-40 a superb defense is generally considered more essential to winning (than offense). Again, scary scary.

Was thrilled to hear that Wong has gone from weight 162 to 182. He already had muscles like Pikes Peak. This may be the best news I have heard in a while. Also nice to hear that McGusty reports no backpain first time in years. That could be hUUUge.

Losing Sam hurts, I have to believe given our depth at the frontcourt he sticks around as he's certain to see meaningful minutes. After this year we have 6 open scholarships, we have 3 commits in the 21 class and if Sam stays that leaves 2 open spots. The big question is now that the NCAA has given every winter sports athlete an extra year who else stays? I'd love for Brooks to stay for one more, would certainly help us the most IMO. It's sure going to be an interesting transfer market too now that players get an automatic waiver starting this summer.

Advertisement
Interesting Coach L presser: he thinks Canes were worst defensive team in ACC and Sam is(was) best defensive player. That is scary. We seem to focus on offensive issues here, so I did some research. While many say 50-50 or 60-40 either way, it seems by about 60-40 a superb defense is generally considered more essential to winning (than offense). Again, scary scary.

Was thrilled to hear that Wong has gone from weight 162 to 182. He already had muscles like Pikes Peak. This may be the best news I have heard in a while. Also nice to hear that McGusty reports no backpain first time in years. That could be hUUUge.
Me too. He was already attacking the rim physically at 165. The added strength will help him finish more through contact and get to the free throw line.

He could be big for us this year.

Advertisement

Miami: Jim Larranaga’s best teams in Coral Gables have always featured rosters were loaded with experience. Those attributes are again immediately synonymous with this group of Hurricanes. Miami will start a senior floor general in All-ACC point guard Chris Lykes along with two fifth-year seniors in Kameron McGusty and Cincinnati transfer Nysier Brooks. The Hurricanes also add a potential starter in top-50 freshman Earl Timberlake while Isaiah Wong and Harlond Beverly are both capable perimeter players. Don’t be shocked if Miami is a factor in the top third of the ACC standings. The Hurricanes are in position to return to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2018.

And a lot is expected out of second-year power forward Anthony Walker.

"Last year Anthony showed signs of brilliance, but because they were few and far between he never had a chance to play and contribute at a high level,” Larranaga said. “Since this summer, when we came back and he started practicing, his effort has been much more consistent and as a result his performance has been much better. He is really someone at this moment I am counting on to have a much better sophomore year than he did freshman year.”

This is great news. I fully expect Walker, Wong, Beverly and Cross to lead the second unit. That group should produce about 30 combined points a game this season.
Wong is starting ... let's get that straight right now.

Wong is starting ... let's get that straight right now.

Wong was at his best when Lykes and McGusty were either hurt or both were not on the court.
There are more shots for Wong if he comes off the bench and replaces Lykes in the lineup.
Wong struggled in the ACC tournament game playing with Lykes and McGusty.

Advertisement
Back