2020-21 season has begun

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Miami: Jim Larranaga’s best teams in Coral Gables have always featured rosters were loaded with experience. Those attributes are again immediately synonymous with this group of Hurricanes. Miami will start a senior floor general in All-ACC point guard Chris Lykes along with two fifth-year seniors in Kameron McGusty and Cincinnati transfer Nysier Brooks. The Hurricanes also add a potential starter in top-50 freshman Earl Timberlake while Isaiah Wong and Harlond Beverly are both capable perimeter players. Don’t be shocked if Miami is a factor in the top third of the ACC standings. The Hurricanes are in position to return to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2018.

16. Earl Timberlake, Miami (freshman): Timberlake will be a matchup problem early on in Coral Gables. Powerful left-handed playmaker who is difficult to contain because of his physique and 6-6 size.

58. Nysier Brooks, Miami (transfer): The Hurricanes lacked size and consistency up front, and Brooks should help solve those issues. He's experienced and was a terrific defensive player for Cincinnati.

Last edited:

* Stony Brook transfer Elijah Olaniyi is not seeking a waiver to play this season and will sit out the year.

* While UM’s seniors are granted an extra year of eligibility, Larranaga says his expectation is none of them will return after 2020-21.

“They’re allowing the seniors to come back and play one more year, but in my own estimation and talking to my own players about this every one of them feels they have an opportunity to play professional basketball,” Larranaga said. “I don’t think they’ll be coming back to play amateur basketball anymore.”

Great article. Here are a few of the highlights.
I may post more later.

* Stony Brook transfer Elijah Olaniyi is not seeking a waiver to play this season and will sit out the year.

* While UM’s seniors are granted an extra year of eligibility, Larranaga says his expectation is none of them will return after 2020-21.

“They’re allowing the seniors to come back and play one more year, but in my own estimation and talking to my own players about this every one of them feels they have an opportunity to play professional basketball,” Larranaga said. “I don’t think they’ll be coming back to play amateur basketball anymore.”

Great article. Here are a few of the highlights.
I may post more later.

I think if you could convince Brooks to stay, that's the main guy. The youth movement will be fine without Lykes and McGusty, but having that senior big who's solid will be very important.

Advertisement
I think if you could convince Brooks to stay, that's the main guy. The youth movement will be fine without Lykes and McGusty, but having that senior big who's solid will be very important.

Unfortunately, this will be Brooks last season. He is out of eligibility and Coach L confirmed he will not return next season.

And a lot is expected out of second-year power forward Anthony Walker.

"Last year Anthony showed signs of brilliance, but because they were few and far between he never had a chance to play and contribute at a high level,” Larranaga said. “Since this summer, when we came back and he started practicing, his effort has been much more consistent and as a result his performance has been much better. He is really someone at this moment I am counting on to have a much better sophomore year than he did freshman year.”

This is great news. I fully expect Walker, Wong, Beverly and Cross to lead the second unit. That group should produce about 30 combined points a game this season.

Advertisement

I don't have a subscription but someone who does will update us on the highlights.
We just want to know about this trait?

At this point. Our expectation for Deng should be he play 5 minutes every game and make it to the end of the season.

Advertisement
Back