2018 5 Star PG Immanuel Quickley's Final 8

A focus on academics for what? A semester of college and a lifetime scholarship to finish a ****ty UK degree if he blows through the $50 million he'll be getting from his first contract and endorsements? I can't stand the one and done rule, but while it's in place, let's stop pretending these kids are actually college students pursuing degrees. If academics was a factor, he wouldn't be looking at an NBA minor league program like Kentucky.

I think mom may be taking into account the fact that some supposedly one-and-done players never make it big in the pros (see Dewan Huell, although, admittedly, it ain't over 'til it's over). Hype does not guarantee success.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A focus on academics for what? A semester of college and a lifetime scholarship to finish a ****ty UK degree if he blows through the $50 million he'll be getting from his first contract and endorsements? I can't stand the one and done rule, but while it's in place, let's stop pretending these kids are actually college students pursuing degrees. If academics was a factor, he wouldn't be looking at an NBA minor league program like Kentucky.

I think mom may be taking into account the fact that some supposedly one-and-done players never make it big in the pros (see Dewan Huell, although, admittedly, it ain't over 'til it's over). Hype does not guarantee success.

IQ is on a different level though. Something like 90%+ of top 10 high school recruits are drafted (most are one and dones, but at least 9/10 are eventually drafted). Dewan was ranked around 30th, which is good, but not nearly as guaranteed.

IQ is on a different level though. Something like 90%+ of top 10 high school recruits are drafted (most are one and dones, but at least 9/10 are eventually drafted). Dewan was ranked around 30th, which is good, but not nearly as guaranteed.

Dewan was ranked #21 by espn when he signed with us as per this article:

Five-star forward recruit Dewan Huell, No. 21 in ESPN 100 for 2016, says he will attend Miami

Immanuel is currently ranked #12 by espn. Some difference in ballyhooing, but not all that much.

Last edited:
I just said from the getgo that The Kentucky side has felt this has been a done deal for months. When I heard that I came here and shared that info. Kentucky ppl are usually very plugged in on their guys. I liked when Kentucky got the final visit. I know that isn’t always the end all be all.....but just like in football if a huge target and supposedly “lean” to your school gives you the last visit.......that always feels like a good sign. Add in the package talk with Zion. Cal coaching him on USA team. Was just too much going UK’s way for a long time.

Advertisement
I just said from the getgo that The Kentucky side has felt this has been a done deal for months. When I heard that I came here and shared that info. Kentucky ppl are usually very plugged in on their guys. I liked when Kentucky got the final visit. I know that isn’t always the end all be all.....but just like in football if a huge target and supposedly “lean” to your school gives you the last visit.......that always feels like a good sign. Add in the package talk with Zion. Cal coaching him on USA team. Was just too much going UK’s way for a long time.

It is far from over. If it was a done deal he would have committed already. Kansas is right there neck and neck...

Five-star forward recruit Dewan Huell, No. 21 in ESPN 100 for 2016, says he will attend Miami

Immanuel is currently ranked #12 by espn. Some difference in ballyhooing, but not all that much.

Eh I usually use 247 because it combines all the main recruiting rankings into one aggregate list, but yeah.

Advertisement

It's hard to know for sure even for Kentucky people. IQ has said that Kentucky is the favorite so he's been lucid about it, but they were all shocked when Lonnie chose us over Kentucky and Arizona.

Last edited:

Eh I usually use 247 because it combines all the main recruiting rankings into one aggregate list, but yeah.

IIRC, Huell's ranking went down significantly during his senior year. I wanted to compare his ranking with Quicley's at this same point in 2015, so as to compare apples to apples. I don't know where to find a chronology of how the rankings have changed over the course of time, but I found the article from November, 2015, which gave me Huell's preseason status from that year. That gave me the sort of apples to apples comparison I wanted. That article gave his ranking according to ESPN, which is why I quoted Quicley's ranking by ESPN (again, apples to apples).

Last edited:

IIRC, Huell's ranking went down significantly during his senior year. I wanted to compare his ranking with Quicley's at this same point in 2015, so as to compare apples to apples. I don't know where to find a chronology of how the rankings have changed over the course of time, but I found the article from November, 2015, which gave me Huell's preseason status from that year. That gave me the sort of apples to apples comparison I wanted. That article gave his ranking according to ESPN, which is why I quoted Quicley's ranking by ESPN (again, apples to apples).

Interesting. Just looked up Huell's last recorded ranking and it's now at 28 on ESPN so that definitely holds that he dropped. IIRC Quickley has been rising in the rankings, but I don't think there's a way to look at the history of a player's rankings.

Advertisement
You can't take issue with a sure one and done kid picking UK. Cal gets one and dones paid like nobody else. Just don't say the decision has the slightest bit to do with academics. It insults everybody's intelligence.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back