2013 S&P+ vs 2012 S&P+

I remember when Miami use to fire Def. Coordinators for having a 30th ranked defense smh those were the days.

Really? When was that?

Them days zone was talking about

yall need to learn ya history..... the infamous Tim Walton had UM's defense ranked 33rd the year he got fired in 2007

2007 Team Defense rankings
http://www.cfbstats.com/2007/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

/ we were saying?

Irrelevant.net

Advertisement
the offensive effeciency rating has a lot to do w/ the fact that James Coley knows how to run the ball

When I hear offensive effeciency it immediately makes me think of two things: 3rd down conversions & Redzone TD %.. both of which we struggle with. Throw all the "ratings" you want to but this offense isn't very efficient.

Agree it's a work in progress even though there are other reasons why this offense isnt as "efficient" as what it couldve been that was out of Coley's hands....

Regardless James Coley got Devonta Freeman and Wilder in that backfield at FSU, and Kelvin Benjamin and Rashad Greene at receiver. Let him get his players in and build some depth in on the offensive side then lets see what happens.

Like I said this is Coley's 1st year..... what's D'nofrio's excuse?

It's not his first year. Yes, Fisher was calling the plays but Coley was developing the game plan and providing on the spot input from the booth. My issue with Coley is he doesn't throw to his backs. Johnson has 4 receptions; Crawford has 8 receptions and Hagens has 1 reception. Last year, FSU threw to the following backs: Thompsons 21, Wilder 19, Pryor 13 and Freeman 10. Last year, Fisch threw to following: James 30, Johnson 27, Hagens 5, Clements 2.

the offensive effeciency rating has a lot to do w/ the fact that James Coley knows how to run the ball

When I hear offensive effeciency it immediately makes me think of two things: 3rd down conversions & Redzone TD %.. both of which we struggle with. Throw all the "ratings" you want to but this offense isn't very efficient.

Agree it's a work in progress even though there are other reasons why this offense isnt as "efficient" as what it couldve been that was out of Coley's hands....

Regardless James Coley got Devonta Freeman and Wilder in that backfield at FSU, and Kelvin Benjamin and Rashad Greene at receiver. Let him get his players in and build some depth in on the offensive side then lets see what happens.

It's not his first year. Yes, Fisher was calling the plays but Coley was developing the game plan and providing on the spot input from the booth. My issue with Coley is he doesn't throw to his backs. Johnson has 4 receptions; Crawford has 8 receptions and Hagens has 1 reception. Last year, FSU threw to the following backs: Thompsons 21, Wilder 19, Pryor 13 and Freeman 10. Last year, Fisch threw to following: James 30, Johnson 27, Hagens 5, Clements 2.

Coley's not throwing. Morris is. Almost every pass play I see us run, one of our backs leaks out and is wide open for a few yards or much more. Morris, for whatever reason, doesn't throw to them.

Coley's not throwing. Morris is. Almost every pass play I see us run, one of our backs leaks out and is wide open for a few yards or much more. Morris, for whatever reason, doesn't throw to them.

Exactly Coley's fault. Don't you get it. Coley holds a gun to Morris's head and says "throw INTS or I will rape your mouth."

Rather than start a new thread on Defense and since that abortion thread was locked.

People were discussing Stanford and Baylor having an aggressive D and better D than Miami.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think anyone disagrees that the D needs to get better. I think people just have different expectations on where we should be today.

Here are some schools of thought:

A.) Some feel we have the best talent and should be 10 times better.

B.) Some feel we're improving and getting closer (to where we need to be), just a few personnel upgrades (via recruiting) and we will be there.

C.) Some just don't care and hate the D regardless.

The bottom line is we need to improve, no one is denying that. No one is saying that the defense is perfect. We need to get more pressure, we need execute better and we need to keep the points off the board.

Here is what you have to understand about Stanford and Baylor. Stanford has been working on rebuilding since 2007 with Harbaugh. Harbaugh's first 3 years at Stanford were 4-8, 5-7 and 8-5. Then in 2010, Stanford goes 12-1 and wins the orange bowl. David Shaw got handed a rebuilt program. David Shaw is just following the process.

Baylor on the other hand has been coached by Art Briles since 2008. Here is how that worked out 4-8, 4-8, 7-6, 10-3, 8-5 and 8-0 (so far). He has been working his system for 6 years at Baylor. Now Baylor is 8-0.

I think what you can see is if you have the RIGHT COACH (this is key), it may take time to rebuild and achieve the DEFENSE that you saw yesterday. I am not saying just give any coach time and expect big things but I am saying with the right coach it may take time (this sucks for fans).

People need to understand when you rebuild it doesn't matter if takes 2 years or 10 years, it matters whether it is being done PROPERLY. If things are not done properly (see 2004-2010) it is just a waste. Improvement will not take place and the program is still at square one.

Here is why I think Golden will fix the defense. Prior to Miami (i.e. UVA and Temple) there was no indication that Golden couldn’t coach a defense. He had great success on defense at both programs. I truly believe if we give this guy some more time, the defense will be much better.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This thread started out wit promise and then......
108.gif

For those not familiar with S&P+ ratings, it's basically an efficiency for for offenses and defenses. If you want to read the full breakdown of how they formulate it, you can read that here.

Basically just wanted to see how we compared to last year on a stat that's a little more uniform than just ppg and ypg. It's not necessarily a ranking of the teams overall, or what offense is the best, just an efficiency rating of each side of the ball.

92.jpg

Already lets restart this thread and take a look at what these stats actually say. The efficiency on passing downs is fantastic, top 5 in the country, probably because the big plays. The running game is pretty darn good, but not as good. So first and 10, 2nd and less than 8, third and less than 5, we're a pretty darn good offense but there's room to improve. Last year we were better on standard downs, which I think would be because of how often Fisch would run PA on first down. For the defense, overall it shows we're still not very great from an efficiency standpoint. We're pretty decent on run downs but not great, and the pass defense definitely seems to be an issue, specifically on passing downs (2nd and 8+, 3rd and 5+). I would be curious to see what these stats look like in the 2nd half only though, as there does seem to be a large improvement at that half every game (besides FSU).

This retarded version of the 3-4 is garbage, most of our D-lineman are being forced to play a position where they cant use their talents.... Anthony Chickillo is still to small to play 3-4 DE but their he is having to play more snaps then everybody at the position.

Shayon Green is too small, they are strong enough to hold their positions but not strong enough to make a play behind the LOS.... Chickillo is a 4-3 DE, Luther Robinson was being punished b/c he was making 4-3 DT plays last year busting through the line when he isnt "suppose" to do that in this 3-4.

The D-line isnt 5 star talented but the 3-4 makes it where whatever talent on the D-line they do have is erased, thats why Justin Renfrow is having "success" on this team.... he sucked in the 4-3 UVa was running.

If Miami was running a 4-3, Tyriq McCord and AQM would both dominate on some Barkevious Mingo, Sam Montgomery type ****. David Gilbert is playing a role he has never had to play.... he is a non factor, and the foot isnt the reason.

The **** is garbage, simple as that.... Miami has more then enough talent on any position on the D-line to beat ****n Duke, VT, Pitt, and UVa. If the D cant make plays in this last stretch and get off on ***n 3rd and 4th downs, it's going to be more obvious that D'onofrio has to go b/c he's ***n garbage.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back