1/24 UL @ 8:00 PM (ESPN2)

I have absolutely zero inside information, but I think Brown's wrist is bad and will be a nagging injury the whole season. Kid is far too talented to regress like he has. If he comes back next season, I predict he will beast.

Advertisement
Where was Lykes towards the end of regulation? My son and I were screaming every time Newton touched the ball. I'm finally ready to admit that Newton is awful. Yes, he's a marginally solid defender, but his offense is awful. He missed 3-4 straight contested lay-ups tonight and still Coach L rode with him. Did I miss an injury to CL or did he foul out? At the very least go offense/defense with Lykes and Newton. Frankly, even though his confidence is shot, I'd rather have seen DJ in there than Newton.

It was tough tonight to watch: (1) the terrible FT shooting; (2) the awful fundamentals on rebounds when they were using one hand or trying to dribble the ball rather than possessing it with 2 hands; (3) the horrible fouls by 2 veterans, first Amp's needless foul when he dove after a rebound that was never going to be his and then Newton's karate chop on the Louisville shooter right in front of the 'Ville bench.

Imma have a coronary watching a few more of these games. You have to wonder what's happened to UM's fundamentals, something you'd expect from a Coach L team. Their FT shooting, fouling discipline, constant reaching on defense, poor rebounding and inconsistent ball movement are not concepts you'd expect to see on a Coach L team. It's clear he needs to ride with his freshmen, Walker and Lykes, and live with the consequences of their youth.

It was pretty ridiculous to keep him in over Lykes. I think everyone watching the game knew that. I don't know why Coach L keeps letting Newton play so much. Maybe because he has more experience? Idk. Definitely agree it was a bad decision.

Where are all the people who said lonnie's defense is garbage? Dude is one of our best defenders out there and has been all year.

Newton and brown got blown by in every big spot tonight

Newton missed two huge loose balls because he's just too slow. Too unathletic and no outside shot to speak of. Bad fts. Bad decisions. Ball hog.

I'm not sure I know of a redeeming quality. I guess he gets to the rack pretty well but he can't finish anyway and he bogs down the whole offense when he has the ball which is just about always

Walker has arrived. Good minutes from Sam, too.

What’s your take on Newton D?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m optimistic. He’s better than he’s played. Same with Brown. It takes time with so many ball-dominant guards.

I agree with this. These guys are working out how to play together. Newton was much better than recent games tonight. Brown couldn’t hit anything tonight but he rebounded well and ended well. Sam rebounded well too. Did anybody else notice that WE OUTREBOUNDED LOUISVILLE BY 11 TONIGHT? Difference-maker in the game.

Newton was much better?

Wtf were u watching?

Senior guard goes 2 for 10 from the floor. Most of them within 3 feet. Dishes out a whopping 2 assists. Lol

What exactly is that better than?

Lykes had 4 assists in a third of the minutes. Smh

Advertisement
Just finished watching the replay.

I'll take those minutes from Waardenburg any day. 13 mins 7 rebounds.

Was good to see Huell bounce back after his lackluster NC State performance.

Quan gonna Quan. He had a particularly horrid stretch in the last two minutes of the second half while Lykes sat on the bench.

IV gonna IV. He also seemed much improved on D. Should that aspect of his game get better, look out.

For the life of me, we continue to miss a ton of layups per game.

DJ must have zero confidence right now and his minutes matched a season low. Merely an early season place holder until IV got healthy.

Just when ****ie V went on to praise our FT shooting, the OT FT fiasco happened. Those misses were scary, and one day will cost us.

Bring on FSU

Quan gonna Quan. He had a particularly horrid stretch in the last two minutes of the second half while Lykes sat on the bench.

IV gonna IV. He also seemed much improved on D. Should that aspect of his game get better, look out.

DJ must have zero confidence right now and his minutes matched a season low. Merely an early season place holder until IV got healthy.

Just when ****ie V went on to praise our FT shooting, the OT FT fiasco happened. Those misses were scary, and one day will cost us.

Bring on FSU

Some things...

1. As for Sam, those were by far his best minutes. That block was great. He should have been in over Amp at the end. Amp looked really bad last night. In fact, Amp has been playing better on the road during ACC play:

On the Road: 13 PPG, 6.25 RPG and 2 TO

At Home: 5.67 PPG, 8.33 RPG and 3 TO

2. As for Huell, this may sound weird but that was the worst 18 and 12 game I ever saw. Huell's defense has been bad the last two games. Omer destroyed him last game and Mahmoud had his way this game. His 4 TOs didn't help either.

3. As for Newton, I never will get it. He is a defensive liability, unreliable from the FTL and a TO machine. He couldn't hit from around the rim last night and he was in the game during crunch time. Lykes should have been in during crunch time.

4. We missed a lot of layups last year too. I don't get it. If Brown and/or Newton hit 50% of layups (which isn't a lot), that game isn't close. I can't believe we won and they shot 4-20 (FG) combined. Add in Amp and 3 starters combined for 5 for 27 (less than 20%).

5. Nothing needs to be said about Walker. I am just glad he wanted it last night because he carried us to victory. Imagine if him and Brown could do it on the same night.

6. DJ has fallen and his confidence is probably non-existent.

7. Clutch FTs: I think we shot 3 for 8 from the FTL in our last 8 attempts. If you hit 5, lower than our season average, this game isn't as close. Considering the game is at home, 5-6 out of 8, isn't too much to ask.

Glad to get the win given the above.

Bring on FSU

Some things...

1. As for Sam, those were by far his best minutes. That block was great. He should have been in over Amp at the end. Amp looked really bad last night. In fact, Amp has been playing better on the road during ACC play:

On the Road: 13 PPG, 6.25 RPG and 2 TO

At Home: 5.67 PPG, 8.33 RPG and 3 TO

2. As for Huell, this may sound weird but that was the worst 18 and 12 game I ever saw. Huell's defense has been bad the last two games. Omer destroyed him last game and Mahmoud had his way this game. His 4 TOs didn't help either.

3. As for Newton, I never will get it. He is a defensive liability, unreliable from the FTL and a TO machine. He couldn't hit from around the rim last night and he was in the game during crunch time. Lykes should have been in during crunch time.

4. We missed a lot of layups last year too. I don't get it. If Brown and/or Newton hit 50% of layups (which isn't a lot), that game isn't close. I can't believe we won and they shot 4-20 (FG) combined. Add in Amp and 3 starters combined for 5 for 27 (less than 20%).

5. Nothing needs to be said about Walker. I am just glad he wanted it last night because he carried us to victory. Imagine if him and Brown could do it on the same night.

6. DJ has fallen and his confidence is probably non-existent.

7. Clutch FTs: I think we shot 3 for 8 from the FTL in our last 8 attempts. If you hit 5, lower than our season average, this game isn't as close. Considering the game is at home, 5-6 out of 8, isn't too much to ask.

Glad to get the win given the above.

I agree with you on most of these. But #3 has some issues. To say that Newton is a defensive liability and then to say that Chris Lykes should have been in at crunch time misses a lot. Why do you think that our coach (who is an excellent coach by the way) didn’t have Lykes in the game for much (was it most?) of the second half? The answer has to be (at least in part) because of what UL was doing to him when he was in the game. They would more than occasionally put whoever he was guarding down on the block and post him up. And score an easy bucket. Both teams played good D most of the night. If Lykes is in in the last 5 minutes UL gets one or two more easy buckets off of him and we lose in regulation. Snider had some good drives against both because he’s a good point guard, but Newton (mainly) held him to 6 of 15 shooting, not amazing but enough to get the win, with little back-side defensive help. Also, Newton made 8 free throws last night, more than anyone else on the team. That’s because he drives and draws fouls. He was a major reason we were in the bonus before Louisville in both halves.

I’ve become the Newton apologist. :-)

As for #6 , we need to find a way to get DJ open for threes. I can’t remember the last open 3 he took.

But seriously, I like how our team is evolving

Some very strange lineups last night that we haven't seen all year. WhattaBurger must have had a good week in practice and got rewarded with some minutes. He didn't look that bad and this game will help season him. Newt is a mystery player but he is a senior and the guy making a million per year has decided he wants him in the game late at least for now. LW as the great ****y V said had his coming out party last night with one helluva performance on national tv. ****y was so much fun last night I really hope they continue to use him for our games. Just win baby

Advertisement
I agree with you on most of these. But #3 has some issues. To say that Newton is a defensive liability and then to say that Chris Lykes should have been in at crunch time misses a lot. Why do you think that our coach (who is an excellent coach by the way) didn’t have Lykes in the game for much (was it most?) of the second half? The answer has to be (at least in part) because of what UL was doing to him when he was in the game. If Lykes is in in the last 5 minutes UL gets one or two more easy buckets off of him and we lose in regulation. Snider had some good drives against both because he’s a good point guard, but Newton (mainly) held him to 6 of 15 shooting, not amazing but enough to get the win, with little back-side defensive help. Also, Newton made 8 free throws last night, more than anyone else on the team. That’s because he drives and draws fouls. He was a major reason we were in the bonus before Louisville in both halves.

I strongly disagree with everything you said above. You may be the only one that supports Newton and the above given his actual tenure.

1. Newton has been an atrocious defender his whole career. Find someone who thinks he isn't a defensive liability. Then find someone that thinks Lykes is inferior to him at D. Newton has such a low basketball IQ, especially on D, and that foul on McMahon is further proof as such. I guess the double team wasn't enough, Newton needed to foul him too.

2. You failed to mention that Newton is incredibly selfish and had some awful offensive possessions when it mattered. He shot 2-10 for the game and this included going 0-2 from FG and 2-4 from the FTL in OT. I don't see how Lykes does worse during that time.

3. As for that Snider stuff, he had 5 of his 6 FGs in the second half. Who do you think was guarding him getting all that burn? Also, 6 for 15 isn't impressive. He normally shoots 43% and he shot 40% and it was a road game. Snider also scored 18 total points, 5 more than average.

I agree with you on most of these. But #3 has some issues. To say that Newton is a defensive liability and then to say that Chris Lykes should have been in at crunch time misses a lot. Why do you think that our coach (who is an excellent coach by the way) didn’t have Lykes in the game for much (was it most?) of the second half? The answer has to be (at least in part) because of what UL was doing to him when he was in the game. If Lykes is in in the last 5 minutes UL gets one or two more easy buckets off of him and we lose in regulation. Snider had some good drives against both because he’s a good point guard, but Newton (mainly) held him to 6 of 15 shooting, not amazing but enough to get the win, with little back-side defensive help. Also, Newton made 8 free throws last night, more than anyone else on the team. That’s because he drives and draws fouls. He was a major reason we were in the bonus before Louisville in both halves.

I strongly disagree with everything you said above. You may be the only one that supports Newton and the above given his actual tenure.

1. Newton has been an atrocious defender his whole career. Find someone who thinks he isn't a defensive liability. Then find someone that thinks Lykes is inferior to him at D. Newton has such a low basketball IQ, especially on D, and that foul on McMahon is further proof as such. I guess the double team wasn't enough, Newton needed to foul him too.

2. You failed to mention that Newton is incredibly selfish and had some awful offensive possessions when it mattered. He shot 2-10 for the game and this included going 0-2 from FG and 2-4 from the FTL in OT. I don't see how Lykes does worse during that time.

3. As for that Snider stuff, he had 5 of his 6 FGs in the second half. Who do you think was guarding him getting all that burn? Also, 6 for 15 isn't impressive. He normally shoots 43% and he shot 40% and it was a road game. Snider also scored 18 total points, 5 more than average.

Lykes has done well defensively when he is in there, however [MENTION=18929]miamidan20[/MENTION] is right about last night. Louisville was going right at Lykes inside and they got a clean look every time. I'll add that while I think Newton isn't a good 1v1 defender he certainly has more experience as a team defender, less likely to make a mistake IMO.

Lykes has done well defensively when he is in there, however [MENTION=18929]miamidan20[/MENTION] is right about last night. Louisville was going right at Lykes inside and they got a clean look every time. I'll add that while I think Newton isn't a good 1v1 defender he certainly has more experience as a team defender, less likely to make a mistake IMO.

Lykes’ aggression on defense last night also led to two 3’s in a short span from Louisville. L clearly was not happy with his defense last night. Oh well freshman things happen. Still would have liked to see him on the floor and not Newton, but i think Newton did make a key defensive play last night that helped us get the win.

so watching ACC highlights of the game and a ton of key Lykes plays throughout the game, still not getting his absence the last 9 minutes of the game, only thing I can fathon is L is trying to build up Newtons confidence for tourney time, but our big 4 are Lykes, Walker, Brown and Huell, the rest are rotational players given matchups and situations..

Advertisement

Even if you think that Newton played better D than Newton, which I disagree with, the other stuff still stood out. When it mattered most he couldn’t hit a layup, went 2-4 from FTL and played selfish with the ball.

Even if you think that Newton played better D than Newton, which I disagree with, the other stuff still stood out. When it mattered most he couldn’t hit a layup, went 2-4 from FTL and played selfish with the ball.

I'm with Consigliere on this one. I'm glad we won and all, but Coach L's decision to keep Newton in during the last couple of minutes of regulation had me extremely concerned. Two missed layups and two turnovers in 90 seconds is not how you want to close out the game. Plus, I thought we needed Lykes to provide a spark, especially during the first couple of minutes of OT, when we were standing around and taking jump shots (and missing them).

Advertisement
We are not going anywhere’s with newton and brown as the leaders of this team.... they are both a ****ing joke

You watch one game and think Brown sucks. ****in fake *** fan
I watched the clemson game and went to duke game

Our supposedly best player had 3 points against clemson and 6 points against Duke and off course u saw last night .... he has come up short in every big game this year.... he does anything and we win... we won’t win anything with him he is a fraud, one time Is and anomaly three times is a pattern

Last edited:

I'm with Consigliere on this one. I'm glad we won and all, but Coach L's decision to keep Newton in during the last couple of minutes of regulation had me extremely concerned. Two missed layups and two turnovers in 90 seconds is not how you want to close out the game. Plus, I thought we needed Lykes to provide a spark, especially during the first couple of minutes of OT, when we were standing around and taking jump shots (and missing them).

First off, my post was a comment on Lykes only as to his defensive issues early in this game and the reason that he only played about 5 second half minutes. I love Lykes, this is not a Jaquan/Lykes debate in general. They played together a lot in the game actually (which I really liked, particularly with the way Brown was struggling). But we beat a very good team that we were losing to for most of the game in part because of the decisions that Coach L made re: Newton and Lykes (the other major parts being Lonnie and team rebounding - of which 6’2 Newton had 7 by the way). Did you guys even read coach L’s post-game quotes? “Then Jaquan Newton just took over the game with his defensive effort and he sent a message to everybody on the team: you’ve got to pick it up and play a lot harder”. I’m sorry if I’m the “only one” in here that supports Newton. I’m hoping that some of you will come along with me (and Coach L) as the season goes on.

Great win, but I still hate the FT shooting.

We're in a great position.

Actually, we made 71% (22-31) of our FTs, L'ville only made 64%. More accurately, I think we all hated the FT shooting in crunch time. Especially those two bricks by BB.

Advertisement
Back