Will Rogers in the Portal

Unfortunately, I think Ward is Oregon bound.

I would go check on Seth Henigan before considering Howard or Rogers imo. Howard over Rogers for me, but neither of them get me excited that we have a game-changing QB.
I do too and probably why Ward hasn't officially entered the portal yet given Oregon's in a conference championship game tonight

Advertisement
howard is not mobile enough to ignore all his flaws

if you all want mobile then let's get Murphy, ward, or someone else

if we want someone who won't turn it over and can run the offense with half a brain - Pratt, rogers, etc will be fine
I agree. We just need somebody to get the ball to the playmakers and can read basic defensive coverages. Qb has to know where to put the ball in different coverages. We get that and easily offensive production escalates. And legs enough to escape pressure or run for a first of coverage blankets route concepts.

Murphy coming as a backup that would be open to competing in '25 would be a huge coup for the staff, especially if Brown moves on. That said, I wouldn't want him as my starter next year.

I remember one game I think Kentucky where he had a 90 something completion percentage. I like him better than TVD just for the fact he fights for the plays during the game and i think our boys on offense would respect him due to being at MS State and dude being in an air raid offense where all the heat is on him to get the ball to playmakers due to limited running game. And he did that ****. They still was trash but they were competitive against pretty decent competiton. Give me a qb who can put the ball where it needs to go and fights during the game.

If we want mobile there is already a dude on the roster who is playing in the bowl game. We need someone who can read a defense and is comfortable moving off his first read. If he can run it’s a bonus.
Yeah but I meant a dual threat like run well but also pass well. And someone with a few years of starting experience...Last we saw from JB and alot of what weve heard is that he has accuracy issues.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah but I meant a dual threat like run well but also pass well. And someone with a few years of starting experience...Last we saw from JB amd alot of what weve heard is that he has accuracy issues.
No disagreement here. If we can get a TVD-at-his-peak type of player, awesome. But I'd also take a guy who can consistently move the ball, doesn't get in his own head, and won't throw 3 interceptions in the red zone in easily winnable games.

An elite QB would be great, but in reality we need a guy that can manage a game. McElroy, Mac Jones type guy. Neither of those guys were elite, but when place behind an elite OL, with pretty damned good run game, and big WRs...even a game manager looks elite. Just dont turn the ******* ball over.
Bama was loaded and they just pounded teams on both sides of the ball. We need a guy that’s a little more than a game manager

I’m not gonna sit here and say Roger’s is the most talented or best possible option but Why are you using YPA as the sole metric to determine his success when if you watched the games or any leach offense, that’s kind of the point

Other leach qbs have had higher yards per attempt but that doesn’t mean they were better it just means there was different talent on the field in terms of options, play calling, situations, etc that led to that

Qbr, passer rating, turnovers, sacks, big time throw metrics, etc are all way more valuable in judging QBs and we could much worse than Rogers
His QBR this year was 47, which ranked 95th. Last year it was 63.

Its hard to get an accurate read on his turnover rate when most of his passes are thrown 15 feet. Same with his sack rate when the system is designed to avoid those two issues.

I brought up his ypa because it was low compared to other Leach QBs AND other air rand QBs.

His longest pass this season went for a gain of 65 yards. The next longest went for 37. They didn't run the air raid this year and its not just because of his SEC schedule.

His longest passes against nonconference opponents went for 33, 35, 36 and 37.

Again, all these numbers are just pieces of a bigger picture that consistently looks the same.

I just don't see the appeal with this guy. Not with his physical limitations. We can do a LOT better.

Advertisement
Can Ward - make him an offer he won’t refuse.

I don’t want Will Rogers. I guess I have no choice but to support him if he’s the one but he’s 4th or 5th on my list.

I want a mobile QB that can take this offense to the next level and put pressure and in conflict all parts of the opponent’s defense (run defense and pass defense).

Big no for me on Rogers. We need to do better.

Dawson annoyed me this year but i‘d roll one more year. Too many former players speak highly of him to think he’s an idiot. I just like to see a little more space , motion and creativity. I don’t know if the predictability on certain downs is him or the HC. The last two weeks has been good though. Especially the under center stuff on short yardage.
We didn’t use our WR1 all year the way we were supposed to. We failed Jacolby George but a lot of that is TVD’s fault. I posted before the season coach had huge plans for George he thinks he can produce the way tank did

Can Ward - make him an offer he won’t refuse.

I don’t want Will Rogers. I guess I have no choice but to support him if he’s the one but he’s 4th or 5th on my list.

I want a mobile QB that can take this offense to the next level and put pressure and in conflict all parts of the opponent’s defense (run defense and pass defense).

Big no for me on Rogers. We need to do better.
agree that rogers shouldn't be option #1, but cam ward isn't a super effective runner that people think he is

he has 122 yards on 120 attempts for 1 yard per carry... 39 sacks hurt his numbers (taking away 260 yards), but a solid majority of those sacks were self inflicted.

howard is a much more effective playmaker if we're talking about strictly scramble ability, I concede that cam ward is the better player but he would also find a way to get sacked 3x more than TVD was behind our OL

Advertisement
agree that rogers shouldn't be option #1, but cam ward isn't a super effective runner that people think he is

he has 122 yards on 120 attempts for 1 yard per carry... 39 sacks hurt his numbers (taking away 260 yards), but a solid majority of those sacks were self inflicted.

howard is a much more effective playmaker if we're talking about strictly scramble ability, I concede that cam ward is the better player but he would also find a way to get sacked 3x more than TVD was behind our OL
Howard turns the ball over more than Rogers

Advertisement
His QBR this year was 47, which ranked 95th. Last year it was 63.

Its hard to get an accurate read on his turnover rate when most of his passes are thrown 15 feet. Same with his sack rate when the system is designed to avoid those two issues.

I brought up his ypa because it was low compared to other Leach QBs AND other air rand QBs.

His longest pass this season went for a gain of 65 yards. The next longest went for 37. They didn't run the air raid this year and its not just because of his SEC schedule.

His longest passes against nonconference opponents went for 33, 35, 36 and 37.

Again, all these numbers are just pieces of a bigger picture that consistently looks the same.

I just don't see the appeal with this guy. Not with his physical limitations. We can do a LOT better.

Thank you. If Rogers is the guy, I expect lots of frustration with the conservatism of the offense again next season. He’s not the answer. There’s a reason his YPA numbers were worse than any QB to start for Leach going back a while.

Thank you. If Rogers is the guy, I expect lots of frustration with the conservatism of the offense again next season. He’s not the answer. There’s a reason his YPA numbers were worse than any QB to start for Leach going back a while.
Well in that case, why even watch next year?

Screenshot_20231202_000121_Discord.jpg
oooo

Advertisement
Back