Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, by the time he came to us. He absolutely was. U have to understand what's gone into that.
By Francis going to I. M. G. He's at a huge advantage from 99% of the high schools in America. IMG Is a football factory. school is secondary. Literally they live on campus. They Do football activities of one sort or another 14 hours out of each and every day. That's something you don't do at any other level.
So I don't think we should simply look at it as cut And dry as Francis Is a better prospect than Sampson. Because it's a process. Samson has had nowhere near the exposure that Francis has had up to this point. Longhaul they're both gonna be very good in my opinion. But at this point especially with the injury last season Samson is playing catch up.
What are your thoughts on Jayden? Went through the IMG gauntlet as well, do you see him making an impact next year?

Advertisement
I wanted Lane after Manny. Didn't happen. I got over it, because what ******* choice did I have? He's killing it @OleMiss right not, even recruiting well. But why is he being thrown in the face of CIS Cane fans? Did anyone here make the call to blackball Lane?

Pumping sunshine for Lane for no other reason than to antagonize Cane fans is ***-cheeks.

Last edited:
This is a weird argument to have but considering health…my portal starters.

Ward
Carpenter
McCormack

Only three on offense. Fletcher > Parrish provided he’s healthy.

Mesidor
Clark
DPJ
Kiko
Powell

Alston will play a ton, I just don’t know if he’ll start…but he’ll get a ton of snaps.

So I count 8 starters via the portal and we’re still looking for a WR + DB in le spring portal.

Obviously others such as Alston, Cook, Richard, Riley will play a key role in the 2-deep/push to start.

Advertisement
This is one of those silly things that people keep parroting about Kiffin. Kiffin has "job-hopped" once in his career, when he left Tennessee for USC after 1 yr (btw Kiffin stayed at Tennessee 100x longer than Mario stayed at UM when he got hired by Al Golden). Kiffin put in 3 years at FAU, with 2 10 win seasons, then he got the opportunity to rebuild a broken Ole Miss program. Putting in 3 years at a low tier G5 and leaving for a SEC program is not evidence that he's a coaching mercenary.

I agree with your overall point, but not all reputations are fair representations of an individual. I'll take it a step further: any coach leaving a job for what he perceives to be a better opportunity is just doing what most intelligent people would do in that situation.

And here's the best response: God please let UM football's biggest problem with a HC hire be that he has won so many games that NFL teams and college blue bloods come calling.

Ole Miss landed both Washington OL transfers. Looks like those 3 open roster spots came in handy…..

dave chapelle chapelle's show GIF

I wanted Lane after Manny. Didn't happen. I got over it, because what ******* choice did I have? He's killing it @OleMiss right not, even recruiting well. But why is he being thrown in the face of CIS Cane fans? Did anyone here make the call to blackball Lane?

Pumping sunshine for Lane for no other reason than to antagonize Cane fans is ***-cheeks.
This I agree with.

There’s no point in just bringing him up anymore in a “we could have had” manner because that ship has probably sailed…and I was a Lane advocate. Would he have done better than Mario the last two years? 100 percent, not a doubt in my mind. You’d be a fool to argue otherwise.

But Mario can certainly be the better answer long term, provided he allows his recruits to reach their full potential and puts them in a scheme/situations that maximizes their various skillsets.

This year is a show me year. We’ve got a lot of nice toys, now let them run free and wild. Put some trust in the kids you recruited to make plays.

Advertisement
name them. And then name how many portal starter ole miss has and where they ranked in recruiting and how many you think they will need to get again next year vs how many we will try to get.
You could have both Safeties, possibly a CB, for sure one LB, Probably Alston at DE (at least comparative starter snaps), Clark/Cook at DT, Ward at QB, the C, people hope for a portal WR after spring, and possibly an IOL based on the Kalepo look and TOC saying we already have a backup look after the spring. Also you have Louisville LB who got a lot of reps last year. If he isn’t starting he is getting quality reps. I like Mario and I don’t think we want to overbuild through portal but that’s a decent amount of snaps going to portal guys.

It doesn’t matter at this point just WIN!!!

You could have both Safeties, possibly a CB, for sure one LB, Probably Alston at DE (at least comparative starter snaps), Clark/Cook at DT, Ward at QB, the C, people hope for a portal WR after spring, and possibly an IOL based on the Kalepo look and TOC saying we already have a backup look after the spring. Also you have Louisville LB who got a lot of reps last year. If he isn’t starting he is getting quality reps. I like Mario and I don’t think we want to overbuild through portal but that’s a decent amount of snaps going to portal guys.

Off the dome...

Ward
Parrish (?)
Carpenter
McCormick
Mesidor
Clark
Mauigoa
Powell
Ridley (?)

Possibly a Cb, lb, iOL, etc etc … well that’s not a reality right now, so can’t count what ifs.

Cloyd isn’t returning. Mauigoa is returning, but again he was brought in last year.

So Like I said 2 offensive guys, and 3-5 Defensive guys.

Again this was a conversation about recruiting. Ole Miss isn’t recruiting HS well and is having to be reliant on portal because of it. Yeah we have had to rely on portal a bit, but it’s less and less over time as our HS guys step up - and we u like Ole Miss have top hs recruiting classes to rely on. Yeah sure we will always have to take a handful in the portal. But the plan at ole Miss appears to be just go for a dozen starters yearly… or at least that is the path their recruiting is leading them down if they want to maintain their success…

Advertisement
Possibly a Cb, lb, iOL, etc etc … well that’s not a reality right now, so can’t count what ifs.

Cloyd isn’t returning. Mauigoa is returning, but again he was brought in last year.

So Like I said 2 offensive guys, and 3-5 Defensive guys.

Again this was a conversation about recruiting. Ole Miss isn’t recruiting HS well and is having to be reliant on portal because of it. Yeah we have had to rely on portal a bit, but it’s less and less over time as our HS guys step up - and we u like Ole Miss have top hs recruiting classes to rely on. Yeah sure we will always have to take a handful in the portal. But the plan at ole Miss appears to be just go for a dozen starters yearly… or at least that is the path their recruiting is leading them down if they want to maintain their success…
I’m not disagreeing with you. And as multiple people have said long term most people believe HS recruiting should be your bread and butter but to say what Kiffin is doing is unsustainable is still unknown at this point.

If he keeps on winning while HE is there no Ole Miss fans are requesting to switch coaches with us at this point. And again I’m a Mario advocate.

I did read through all of the posts and how this devolved into a Lane Kiffin is/isn’t a “great” recruiter symposium. But, again at this point in time Ole Miss isn’t trading us coaches. Hopefully, Mario’s plan of building our foundation proves to be fruitful and lead to multiple NC’s.

On God, I just want Spring to start already so CIS fans can start whining about how Mario has ruined Cam’s NFL chances….so everybody has something new to complain about.

We have had a great offseason. Comparing it to any other programs is plain semantics until we start to see/hear how these pieces start playing with each other.

Advertisement

Again, I have mad respect for @gogeta4 , he is absolutely one of the best on this board.

Having said that, I just respectfully disagree with his assessment of Lane Train as a recruiter (and I'm not taking "Portal" into account IN THE SAME WAY as traditional recruiting).

"Win-Loss Record" is not "recruiting". "Development" is not "recruiting".

You have accurately pointed out where Lane Train finished in the SEC for recruiting. Which is not great. So let's look at where he ranks across all of P5.

Current class - HS/JuCo - 21 (21 signees)
Current class - Portal - 1 (15 transfers)
Current class - Overall - 17

2023 class - HS/JuCo - 23 (16 signees)
2023 class - Portal - 2 (23 transfers)
2023 class - Overall - 17

2022 class - HS/JuCo - 27 (18 signees)
2022 class - Portal - 2 (18 transfers)
2022 class - Overall - 15

Hmmmm, I am detecting a pattern here...

First, I do not denigrate Lane Train's abilities in the Portal. But I've also shown, in prior threads, that Portal class rankings are more dependent on QUANTITY rather than quality. That is not to say Lane Train didn't get some good guys, only that the Portal rankings are very consistent, the largest classes have the highest rankings (which is NOT the same as the HS class rankings).

Second, over a three-year period, Lane Train has averaged FEWER THAN 20 HS/JuCo signees and has ranked outside the Top 20 every single year. Again, speaking solely to his abilities as a recruiter (traditional-sense), he is not that great, he is nothing to fear. Lane Train is not out there knocking down the best blue-chippers in the country year-in/year-out. He's just not.

Third, think about the ratios here. Ordinarily, most Miami fans say "your lifeblood is HS recruiting, and then you supplement with the Portal for areas where you missed or guys left the program early". I don't see any Miami fans arguing for "HS recruiting ONLY", but I do see a fair amount of Mopey Mopers trying to distort what people say to give the incorrect impression that some people (including our coaches) do not value the Portal or make any effort in the Portal. But Lane Train averages almost 20 Portal players PER YEAR. And only two things can possibly be true here. Either (a) Lane Train is not signing as many HS players as everyone else (and I know the Lane Train fanboys will argue that this is BY CHOICE), or (b) Lane Train has a higher than normal failure rate which NECESSITATES more Portal signees each and every year. Neither (a) nor (b) are ringing endorsements of Lane Train's recruiting abilities.

Finally, as has been described before, signing huge numbers of Portal players each year is not some indication that a coach is a "great recruiter". Portal signings involve different factors such as "wide-open depth chart" and "starter guarantees" that go beyond normal recruiting pitches. Most Portal players are making "business decisions" that may last as short as 6 months, they are NOT picking a spot where they will be spending "the next four or five years of their lives" like HS recruits do.

So, if some people want to act as if Lane Train is some "great recruiter" because he has 20 Portal spots to offer each year, that's for each individual to make his or her own decisions. But it's not supported by the facts.
To me that's all moot. The guy wins. First coach to lead Ole Miss to a 10 win season and first to reach 11. I don't see Mario cracking 6 wins in the SEC and that's being generous. I still like and support Mario as I think he has some great strengths. I also think he can win here if he keeps stacking talent but he must be willing to tone down the micromanaging and improve significantly on gameday.

Cristobal is a much better recruiter but Kiffin is a better gameday coach.

I always thought Samson would transfer either next off season or eventually. But if you say he has a chance I respect it. It’s why we recruited two just in case one doesn’t hit. I do expect Bell to be starting at LT this season. And Rivers sliding back inside big pause
If Bell is starting LT…either we’re in trouble from injuries or he’s took one absolute **** of a leap

Last edited:
Actually no I said yearly from the original post you initially responded to

"Having to rely on the portal for 10 players yearly isn’t a good strategy from a “great recruiter""

In my first response to I literally said
"Would you have been happier if I said 10+ starters yearly?"

But sure I'm moving goal posts lol.

Ok Greta!

If Bell is starting LT…either we’re in trouble from injuries or he’s took one absolute **** of a leap
Let’s see if he takes it and move Rivers to his spot. That’s what’s good with having all these guys pause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back