Keeping what you have

100%. His agent should be on the phone with the NFL and every other P5 school in the country. He's doing a disservice to his client if he's not.

And I hate I have to type this **** out. It feels dirty and wrong for the sport. But these kids not even being able to have a part-time job at Wendy's while literally everyone else was getting FILTHY rich was even more wrong. Something had to give, and boy did it ever give.

Just like actual professional negotiations, you'll find situations/kids that aren't ALL about the money. Rueben Bain, for example. We know this school means a ton to him. The actual city and school. I'm just using this as a complete example, I don't have a single clue what he prioritizes in his mind, but I guarantee you MANY big-time schools are sniffing around to see how much it'd take to pry him out of Miami. For some kids, hopefully like Bain, there is no price that would get them to move from where they are. As long as their current NIL deal is in the ballpark, they'll stay. But others will be pure mercenaries. If someone like Bain was in this boat, they could and should be listening to any and everyone. You wanna give me $2M to move to Athens or Baton Rouge? Bet. See ya later, Mario.

It's awful and gross and completely changes the sport. But it's the climate that's been created.
Slippery slope that became an avalanche. You can mourn for the woman you loved and tell her that she’s changed but her response is going to be “who would be the same?” And she’s right. I’ve been smoking this morning but whatever lol

Advertisement
Yes he is.

And this is exactly what I said in that Rhule thread. Beck is entering the portal without entering the portal. And he’d be dumb not to. This is what everyone wanted. Well, it’s here now. So if I was his dad, you bet your *** I’d be sitting in Kirby’s office saying “my son has options. We’d obviously love to stay here, we love you and the program and are grateful for everything. But this is a business. So if you’d like to keep Carson here next year, it’s going to cost you $2.5M. I have already spoken with 3 coaches who have offered him that amount plus his agent believes he can be a late day two pick this year. So if you can give us that amount, we’ll be back. Otherwise I have to explore other options. As a man who has done the same throughout his career, I’m sure you understand, coach.”

I’m not going to criticize the NCAA because I’m not smart enough to figure out a way to do this better than they have. And I believe, obviously, the kids should be compensated for putting a product on the field that TV networks pay BILLIONS for. But what this has morphed into ******* sucks. Maybe it’s the literal only way, again I’m not smart enough to know. But the current landscape is broken.
The NCAA should have never eliminated the sit out rule after transfering. There was no pressure to do that, just kind of randomly made that change. All graduates transfers could be immediately eligible, everyone else sits out a year. They can still practice, collect NIL, be on scholarship etc etc. Just need to sit out from competing in games for 1 year. No exceptions.

Done. All this craziness goes away, kids are still getting paid, teams can be managed better and college football is a better sport.

Flirting with the NFL is not the same as flirting with other teams. You can stop protecting Tyler now, he's gone pal.
not protecting anyone. But let's not split hairs here. Bottom line - what happened here is no different from what is happening everywhere . It sucks when it happens close to home. Don't let your animosity for TVD cloud your judgement

I’m not going to criticize the NCAA because I’m not smart enough to figure out a way to do this better than they have. And I believe, obviously, the kids should be compensated for putting a product on the field that TV networks pay BILLIONS for. But what this has morphed into ******* sucks. Maybe it’s the literal only way, again I’m not smart enough to know. But the current landscape is broken.
Perfect summary for my feelings on this. NCAA knew **** like this was coming and sat on their hands and did nothing. We don't have to know the answers as its not our job but we as fans should be able to see this isn't it. Whatever happens, it does seem likely that CFB as we know it might become something very different from what it was

Advertisement
This right here…This **** is a business, cfb has the most emotional fans but they gon have to learn its no hard feelings with this **** kids just tryna maximize their window man football dont last forever for everyone and u might not be getting a shot in the league so u would be dumb to not get every dime now

This makes me sad, but it makes sense to me. It's unfortunate, but I can't get mad at kids and families for trying to get theirs.

Especially given that it was the courts that opened this, plus the timing of Covid free transfers. I’m not gonna bash too hard rn, but Baker needs to figure out some system in the next 5 years to do something. This is one of the hardest puzzles in sports today, there is no cheap and easy fix to this.

I’m always going to be pro labor. These kids have such a limited shelf life for maxing out their earnings. Hopefully they all get every penny out of this **** that they can.

Advertisement
I just feel bad for the smaller football programs.

Look at Tulane for example...
You make a good initial evaluation on a QB...
You develop him for 2+ years...
And then the big programs come through and drop a bag on him...now you lose your program Quarterback.

Look at it from Tulane's perspective...or any other school like Tulane who's losing kids to big-time P5 schools.
You have to imagine how this would hurt those programs. Kinda sucks for them and there's absolutely nothing they can do. Money talks. (and they don't have it)

SIDENOTE: He goes to the NFL and the P5 school he transferred to gets the credit when realistically Tulane should be hanging his picture on THEIR wall.

Kinda reminds me of all the times I developed kids at a public school for 2 years only to have Heritage or STA come and snatch them away after the kid makes All County.

I just feel bad for the smaller football programs.

Look at Tulane for example...
You make a good initial evaluation on a QB...
You develop him for 2+ years...
And then the big programs come through and drop a bag on him...now you lose your program Quarterback.

Look at it from Tulane's perspective...or any other school like Tulane who's losing kids to big-time P5 schools.
You have to imagine how this would hurt those programs. Kinda sucks for them and there's absolutely nothing they can do. Money talks. (and they don't have it)

SIDENOTE: He goes to the NFL and the P5 school he transferred to gets the credit when realistically Tulane should be hanging his picture on THEIR wall.

Kinda reminds me of all the times I developed kids at a public school for 2 years only to have Heritage or STA come and snatch them away after the kid makes All County.
That's exactly what Clawson said about Hartman last week.

Well, he does make the rhules...
@JamesQuall

Tell Lebron James GIF

Advertisement
Didn't we go through this with TVD last year and Wong in basketball? This is nothing new and has been a thing since NIL started. It's happening everywhere. Some aren't as public as others.

Yes he is.

And this is exactly what I said in that Rhule thread. Beck is entering the portal without entering the portal. And he’d be dumb not to. This is what everyone wanted. Well, it’s here now. So if I was his dad, you bet your *** I’d be sitting in Kirby’s office saying “my son has options. We’d obviously love to stay here, we love you and the program and are grateful for everything. But this is a business. So if you’d like to keep Carson here next year, it’s going to cost you $2.5M. I have already spoken with 3 coaches who have offered him that amount plus his agent believes he can be a late day two pick this year. So if you can give us that amount, we’ll be back. Otherwise I have to explore other options. As a man who has done the same throughout his career, I’m sure you understand, coach.”

The market usually figures itself out. It was always going to be rough early. I’d rather these kids get theirs than what was happening previously and that doesn’t touch upon the unfair advantage certain southern schools had because they treat this game like a religion.

Look at us, we are finally at the table because of NIL in the past players like Carr, Scott or Lightfoot never make it here because we didn’t have the infrastructure or fervor to play the nag game.

Advertisement
Too many years NFL has put dollars in these kids faces and they leave early only to get washed around the league and end up selling insurance. I have no issues with the new CFB landscape

Too many years NFL has put dollars in these kids faces and they leave early only to get washed around the league and end up selling insurance. I have no issues with the new CFB landscape
Except this current landscape isn't sustainable. Your South Carolina type schools whose fans put in a lot of NIL money only to see guys leave anyway won't keep reaching for their wallets. Then you have an enormous gap between the few billionaire schools and everyone else.

Except this current landscape isn't sustainable. Your South Carolina type schools whose fans put in a lot of NIL money only to see guys leave anyway won't keep reaching for their wallets. Then you have an enormous gap between the few billionaire schools and everyone else.
The difference is the NIL and college time is short lived for the top end players. For instance beck would not take 500k more than UGA to go to Texas and maybe not play which would plummet his draft. So I guess playing time and opportunity would somewhat balance with the dollars.

Advertisement
Back