DT Simeon Barrow, Jr. commits to Miami

I’ve seen poster mention Scott’s competition multiple times when saying it’s going to take him a minute to adjust yet everyone seems to be ignoring Jones competition while expecting him to contribute next year.

I’m curious, is that because he plays in FL? Or is it something else? Because his competition is as bad if not worse than Scott’s. I’m high on both of them but I think poster may be setting unrealistic expectations for Jones while ignoring his comp. Personally, I have little to no expectations for either of them this year and will be more than thrilled with any production either of them give us this season.
I think it's his strength that gives Jones the edge. The kid is putting up 440 on bench and 340 on clean & jerks in high school weightlifting competitions. If he were to simply max on Bench and Clean outside of the competition I am almost certain he would be around 475 Bench and 360 Clean. All while running a 4.8 in the 40 at 305. Those are insane numbers for a 18 year old

Playing DT has a lot to do with power and explosiveness and those numbers shows he is elite in those areas.

To put it in perspective the great Aaron Donald max bench is 500 as a full grown man.

Advertisement
I think it's his strength that gives Jones the edge. The kid is putting up 440 on bench and 340 on clean & jerks in high school weightlifting competitions. If he were to simply max on Bench and Clean outside of the competition I am almost certain he would be around 475 Bench and 360 Clean. All while running a 4.8 in the 40 at 305. Those are insane numbers for a 18 year old

Playing DT has a lot to do with power and explosiveness and those numbers shows he is elite in those areas.

To put it in perspective the great Aaron Donald max bench is 500 as a full grown man.

Artavius Jones is Jalen Carter 2.0 but stronger.

Jalen Carter benched 225, 30 times at the combine. According to this bench press calculator that would result in a 450 max. Jones is already stronger than that in High School.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/bench-press

Screen Shot 2024-05-08 at 1.53.03 PM.png

Man, you guys get really funny when you get high.

Comparisons aside, the fact is Jones has the mass, strength and explosiveness to hold up despite his youth. 99% of kids need an extra year or two (or three) to handle the trenches. This kid has the physical attributes to do it as a freshman. ... just speaking for myself, I was evaluating his durability and talent, I wasn't considering his HS comp levels. Agree he'll need time to adjust to P4 OL.

Advertisement
You're comparing Jones to Sagapolu? Really?
Was there not substantial excitement about weight room numbers of Sagapolu?

You seem to have the bench press blues. Fear not mope, I know a guy --- @JHallCanes can lift up your spirits!

Let Jones actually play a down before we build him up to tear him down when he isn't Jalen Carter 2.0 or Waffle Honcho or Navaughn Donaldson or Nesta or Taylor...

Last edited:
Advertisement

You seem to have the bench press blues. Fear not mope, I know a guy --- @JHallCanes can lift up your spirits!

Let Jones actually play a down before we build him up to tear him down when he isn't Jalen Carter 2.0 or Waffle Honcho or Navaughn Donaldson or Nesta or Taylor...
Jones is #1 on my “I have no clue what I’m talking about but I’m gonna say it anyway” Big Board from the 2024 class

But I don’t care too much about his weight room stats. His 47 inch neck gives me hope though

1st rounder

Advertisement
Advertisement

Sagapolu was 6' and had limited athleticism.

Jones is a legit 6'3" (claims to be 6'4" and 305 on his IG per the Athletic), played both DT and primarily blocking TE (8 for 142 and 1TD) + OL. He is a leading scorer for his HS Basketball team while playing Center at 10.6 points per game and 8.6 rebounds per game. He throws discuss (156 6"'), shot (45' 9") and javelin (meh). AND he is the state champion at weightlifting.

You're tripping.

Facts. Now he does need to develop like any DT but this guy has all of the natural physicals tools to be a top 10 NFL pick.
I think it was you who got me to look at him closer as a prospect and I started agreeing with you cause you brought up a lot of good points bruh

Sagapolu was 6' and had limited athleticism.

Jones is a legit 6'3" (claims to be 6'4" and 305 on his IG per the Athletic), played both DT and primarily blocking TE (8 for 142 and 1TD) + OL. He is a leading scorer for his HS Basketball team while playing Center at 10.6 points per game and 8.6 rebounds per game. He throws discuss (156 6"'), shot (45' 9") and javelin (meh). AND he is the state champion at weightlifting.

You're tripping.
Sagapolu was never good. He was a terrible take in the portal at a position of need. Jones may be excellent. All I am saying is let's not set unrealistic expectations for the dude so the board can tear him down later...

I very much remember hearing that one coach was an imbecile for not playing a freshman DT... then his sophomore year under a different coach, I heard DTs need time to develop... Jones is a different player, and I would be thrilled if Jones steps into the rotation and balls.

Let's ******* go!

Artavius Jones is Jalen Carter 2.0 but stronger.

Jalen Carter benched 225, 30 times at the combine. According to this bench press calculator that would result in a 450 max. Jones is already stronger than that in High School.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/bench-press

View attachment 289109
I'd take those bench calculators w/a grain of salt. I had hit 225 19 times a couple years back and couldn't do 315 once, yet the calculator says 357 max. Either way kid is strong af and has immense potential.

Advertisement
Back