Coley on Miami

Beau Sandland's #1 recruiting factor was his position coach. Just saying.

Well if that was the case his position coach is no longer his position coach. I think there was more to it than what you claim. Now his position coach was a HC is an even better motivator and recruiter. Cristobal is going to coach the **** out of Sandland and company at TE.

Advertisement
I think some on the board may be able to teach better technique than some of our [recruiting-focused] coaches.

hyperbole....right?

Yes, but the point is that some of our coaches are really just recruiters. It's the way it works.

Not true at all. No coach on this staff would be hired if they didn't understand how to teach players the system. Where did you conjure this make believe nonsense from?

I understand the concern for wanting to be comforable with your position coach...but where is Fisch in all of this? I haven't really heard his name come up in recruiting...isn't this a perfect time to step in? If he isn't considered a good recruiter it would be pretty surprising to me as I've read different things on his approach to coaching and players have always had positive things to say about him.

I think some on the board may be able to teach better technique than some of our [recruiting-focused] coaches.

hyperbole....right?

Yes, but the point is that some of our coaches are really just recruiters. It's the way it works.

Have to be fair Lu...you're biased to coaching lol

I think that is what separates college coaches from NFL coaches. NFL coaches are elite when it comes to teaching techniques. College coaches, in large part, are less of "technical" experts but off-set some of their deficiencies by being good/great recruiters.

Especially at the position level. Not the case at the Coordinator level.

Advertisement

Well if that was the case his position coach is no longer his position coach. I think there was more to it than what you claim. Now his position coach was a HC is an even better motivator and recruiter. Cristobal is going to coach the **** out of Sandland and company at TE.

Than what "I" claim?

Ok dude, it's what the kid said about 100 times.

Than what "I" claim?

The kid also talked about academics the TE tradition Miami has and what a great time he had on his trip. His position coach is no longer his position coach so that must mean Sandland is pretty upset today huh?

Than what "I" claim?

The kid also talked about academics the TE tradition Miami has and what a great time he had on his trip. His position coach is no longer his position coach so that must mean Sandland is pretty upset today huh?

You guys do remember that Cristobal was the Miami TE/OL coach for a couple years when we had Kevin Everett and Greg Olsen right?
It's not like he's never coached Tight End's before. During his previous tenure he coached or recruited something like 8-9 future NFL players in a relatively short period of time if you include O linemen and tight ends.

hyperbole....right?

Have to be fair Lu...you're biased to coaching lol

I think that is what separates college coaches from NFL coaches. NFL coaches are elite when it comes to teaching techniques. College coaches, in large part, are less of "technical" experts but off-set some of their deficiencies by being good/great recruiters.

Especially at the position level. Not the case at the Coordinator level.

Not surprisingly, some of the more dominant programs right now have a fantastic balance of teachers and recruiters. I believe talent is 65%-70% of the equation in college, but when it's mixed with great teaching (especially at skill positions), you end up with Alabama's defensive backfield.

Golden Al will work it out. I think he's got a great mix right now, but could probably use another "brain" on the defensive side of the ball.

Advertisement

Than what "I" claim?

Let's simplify this. My post was in regards to the post about position coaches meaning less than the head coach.

I disagreed with your post about saying its my claim. Its Sandlands claim not mine. Of course there's other factors and last in checked BC is still here. Not sure what else needs said.

Players definitely care about who there position coach is, the head coach is also a major factor but position coach is the guy they really lean on. Lets see how this plays out

Of course they care about their position corch. But it's not like they're professional corching evaluators. They're kids. They care about the position corch because they want to know how they relate to him. Will they get along with him? Is there a good connection? They don't know about corching. Players are notoriously the worst when it comes to evaluating corches. Players hired Coker, and players revolted to the point of threatening to go on strike when Zook got fired at ufag.

Anyone comment on the relationship between Cristobal and Bennett?

They played together, you would think this puts us in the drivers seat

Advertisement
Anyone comment on the relationship between Cristobal and Bennett?

They played together, you would think this puts us in the drivers seat

:)

The more this Cristobal hire sinks in....man.

I remember the days when message board posters would make their "wish lists" of recruits and coaches and they were merely pipe dreams. These days these wishes are becoming reality. Incredible really. Man it feels weird almost.

In combat, I didn't care nearly so much who the Unit Commander was, as I was concerned mostly with my team leader.

After all, he was the one I would be spending most of my time with.

And if you have a new team leader coming - but you don't even know who the **** he is, YES, it's disconcerting.

Completely different scenarios, man. Players are often as exposed to their O-Coordinator as they are to their position coach. ****, the head coach is often right in the mix. It's not like the "unit" (WRs, for example) is sent off to homestead for a "mission" (learn to catch fade routes).

That may explain the difference. Our win/loss column was 150:1. The Canes win/loss was 7:5.

Just curious how suddenly the position coach missing DID make a difference to the young man.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back