As close to a “must get” as there ever will be

Advertisement
Having their current rosters which would you choose to make a playoff push. This is the air raid vs pro style ground and pound debate
If USC was to run “ground and pound” they’d likely be much worse than they are running Riley’s offense.

Here’s the ironic twist. Georgia is currently throwing the ball more than they’re running it. 376 yards per game passing vs 157 rushing. Not even Georgia wants to play in the 1980’s anymore

If USC was to run “ground and pound” they’d likely be much worse than they are running Riley’s offense.

Here’s the ironic twist. Georgia is currently throwing the ball more than they’re running it. 376 yards per game passing vs 157 rushing. Not even Georgia wants to play in the 1980’s anymore
That's the thing they can ground and pound and out physical teams whenever they want to, but can air it out better than ever now I feel like that's true balance. Where as could USC out physical teams with the current roster

No doubt I’m not arguing that. Just saying that defense is BRUTAL

that's the problem with that offense, good luck having a great defense with that

tony elliot's people are who we should be after, that guy is a genius and clemson's offense in that time is what we should be after.

Advertisement
That's the thing they can ground and pound and out physical teams whenever they want to, but can air it out better than ever now I feel like that's true balance. Where as could USC out physical teams with the current roster
USC is running the ball more often, for more yards and a higher average than Georgia is right now.

I mean if we’re going to totally disregard talent advantages, let’s disregard the fact that USC hasn’t played anyone yet

w where usc has been prior to Riley, if they get to the playoffs this year, thats a remarkable year 1 under a new coach.
Reilly didn’t need a complete rebuild. USC had some talent, just needed new coaching. The Trojans were running a spread offense the past few seasons, so the transition was easier. ****, USC’s top WR from last season was a Top 12 pick. Slovis and another QB put up numbers.

Riley also got to bring an elite QB and WR with him from OU, and poached Addison and Vardell in the portal.

Good for them, but F-USC.

Reilly didn’t need a complete rebuild. USC had some talent, just needed new coaching. The Trojans were running a spread offense the past few seasons, so the transition was easier. ****, USC’s top WR from last season was a Top 12 pick.

Riley also got to bring an elite QB and WR with him from OU, and poached Addison and Vardell in the portal.

Good for them, but F-USC/.
they're always going to get the pick of the litter w Riley there. hes a coach guys want to play w. remember the talent he got on offense at OU.

I dont believe were this complete rebuild either. we have some short comings as well as some pieces to be successful now while we build the rest of it up to get to the elite. either way, they're going to win now and later w Riley. lets see if they solve the defensive issues overall

Advertisement
they're always going to get the pick of the litter w Riley there. hes a coach guys want to play w. remember the talent he got on offense at OU.

I dont believe were this complete rebuild either. we have some short comings as well as some pieces to be successful now while we build the rest of it up to get to the elite. either way, they're going to win now and later w Riley. lets see if they solve the defensive issues overall
I think Miami will be successful this season, just maybe not ACC championship successful. Yes, the standards and expectations in Coral Gables are high but not every problem can be fixed in one offseason.

We could have hired Alabama’s staff, including Saban, and there still would have been limitations at CB, WR, LB, OL, DT, and DE. Everywhere but QB, P, and PK. Manny left a few pieces was a terrible recruiter, so the claim ‘Miami is much more talented everyone we’ll play’ is disingenuous.

Mario and staff were able to plug holes at DT and DE, improve play along the OL, and the defense in general.

Much more is needed to be an elite program.

I think Miami will be successful this season, just maybe not ACC championship successful. Yes, the standards and expectations in Coral Gables are high but not every problem can be fixed in one offseason.

We could have hired Alabama’s staff, including Saban, and there still would have been limitations at CB, WR, LB, OL, DT, and DE. Everywhere but QB, P, and PK. Manny left a few pieces was a terrible recruiter, so the claim ‘Miami is much more talented everyone we’ll play’ is disingenuous.

Mario and staff were able to plug holes at DT and DE, improve play along the OL, and the defense in general.

Much more is needed to be an elite program.
agreed. I dint say we were gonna be elite in year 1. thats unrealistic and not even possible.

w how easy the coastal and schedule is, we should be in the ACC CG quite easily. were not beating Clemson twice never mind once but an ACC CG appearance in year 1 is a success

Advertisement
that's the problem with that offense, good luck having a great defense with that

tony elliot's people are who we should be after, that guy is a genius and clemson's offense in that time is what we should be after.
I think not being able to have a solid defense, with an air raid offense, is mostly a myth. You just gotta have depth.

Either way I’m not sure Alex Grinch has ever fielded a good defense. IIRC his best years have been very Manny-esque where he masks the deficiencies with a bunch of turnover luck.

agreed. I dint say we were gonna be elite in year 1. thats unrealistic and not even possible.

w how easy the coastal and schedule is, we should be in the ACC CG quite easily. were not beating Clemson twice never mind once but an ACC CG appearance in year 1 is a success
Why think we should win the ACC Coastal quite easily?

I agree we should win, but UNC and Pittsburgh will be tough outs. UNC beat App State (who beat ATM) and has an excellent offense. Pittsburgh could/should have beaten Tennesse, who everyone seems to thinks is improved. UVA is a road game and always tough for us. Duke looks improved. A tight game wouldn‘t surprise me. Miami rarely dominates in Blacksburg. Only GT looks so bad I’d assume Miami walks in and wins.

I need to see considerable improvement offensively before I think almost any win comes easily.

Advertisement
USC is running the ball more often, for more yards and a higher average than Georgia is right now.

I mean if we’re going to totally disregard talent advantages, let’s disregard the fact that USC hasn’t played anyone yet
Oh really wow that surprised me it must be because that got that good Oregon runner Dye to transfer there, and I think they'll destroy the pac 12 until the run up against Oregon or Utah in the conference finals then we'll see how they hold up in the trenches

Yes coaching staffs and players, which style of play you think gets you further in the playoffs, and I'm not talking about defenses either just offenses
This question has been somewhat fleshed out in reality, though obviously Georgia’s defense played a big role too.

Advertisement
Back