Coley on Miami

Problem2

All-American
Premium
Dammit mane

"As for Miami, the ‘Canes have been scrambling to fill the void left by MacDonald with running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Terry Richardson.

“It’s getting crazy now that McDonald left and he was my position coach,” Coley said. “It’s getting crazy. Now I really, really have to look into Miami. [Coach MacDonald] is a good coach and he communicated a lot with me. He just stayed in touch throughout everything and now he's left. He’s a great dude.

“Coach TRich ... he’s just trying to communicate heavy now ever since coach McDonald left. He’s just trying to play the role of getting me to Miami telling me the stuff that everybody else said. It leaves me stuck right now. Ever since Coach McDonald left, he was doing all the recruiting and now that he’s leaving my own backyard, it’s going to be kind of hard.”

Need a good replacement soon

Advertisement
That was from the video interview he did earlier in the week. Its in one of the threads on here. Said it then McDonald played a big role its seems and looked like he might have been leaning miami prior to his leave. Hope our new WR coach is freaking dynamic, lol..

Advertisement
Sounds like he was a done deal prior to McDonald's departure.

That said it appears he's looking for a reason to stay, or at least I hope so.

Dammit mane

"As for Miami, the ‘Canes have been scrambling to fill the void left by MacDonald with running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Terry Richardson.

“It’s getting crazy now that McDonald left and he was my position coach,” Coley said. “It’s getting crazy. Now I really, really have to look into Miami. [Coach MacDonald] is a good coach and he communicated a lot with me. He just stayed in touch throughout everything and now he's left. He’s a great dude.

“Coach TRich ... he’s just trying to communicate heavy now ever since coach McDonald left. He’s just trying to play the role of getting me to Miami telling me the stuff that everybody else said. It leaves me stuck right now. Ever since Coach McDonald left, he was doing all the recruiting and now that he’s leaving my own backyard, it’s going to be kind of hard.”

Need a good replacement soon

Probably not going to happen. Golden is one to believe in his process of getting the right hire. Unless that person appears at his doorstep and shows immediate interest, Golden isn't going to make a quick hire for the sake of only persuading a recruit to come to us. Coley is a definite talent, but even with the big name, quick hire it's not a sure thing he's going to commit.

If there is any indication, Al Golden is going to find someone with an NFL background. Since the NFL is going through the process of staff turnovers, those NFL type WR coaches are waiting to see what they can get in the big league before dipping into the college level. That little obstacle may drag it out a bit.

For reference, George McDonald was hired on 1/11/2012. However, keep in mind that Eric Mangini was fired a week earlier from the Browns and McDonald may have been looking out for job security. Hopefully we can get a someone in no later than two weeks from now.

Advertisement
Sounds like he was a done deal prior to McDonald's departure.

That said it appears he's looking for a reason to stay, or at least I hope so.

That's the positive to take out of his comments. There is a threshold that Coley has in regards to how long he's going to wait until Miami hires a new WR coach. Once he hits that threshold, it's going to be really hard for Miami to make a late push, especially for someone who isn't considered a heavy Cane lean.

Good bye
Anyone who commits solely based upon a position coach is foolish
Someone said earlier this is his copout
Agreed
Say adios, little chance he's a cane

Advertisement
Good bye
Agreed

Recruiting is based off of relationships with a position coach so no I can't blame him.

Good bye
Agreed

They asked all the players at the UA game the question of what aspect is most important in a school when considering them.

The #1 answer by an overwhelming margin was the coaching staff...next followed by getting the to the NFL. Its not a **** cop-out.

Advertisement
You're a Cane or you're not. One position coach shouldn't change that.

Recruiting doesn't work that way.

It's 50/50. Some kids commit for the love of a school, emotional ties to the area. Some kids commit to position coaches because of the trust they've built with coaches.

The latter seems to be higher profiled kids who have the concern of trusting "next-level" development to particular coach(es).

There's really nothing wrong with either approach.

Our single biggest recruiter right now with Coley is the QB throwing him TD passes at the UA game. He gels with Olsen and its over. PERIOD

Advertisement
Back