Thomas Gore portal

The answer is yes, we're likely screwed if that's what happens. You say physical traits, but he isn't likely going to be physically ready to handle the grind full time. Spell some guys, sure, but DT is a grown *** mans game. Teams sense any weakness in the middle, they'll punish you up the gut.

It has nothing to do with projection, ranking, talent, ceiling, or whatever. Freshman DT's are the rarest of the rare.

Bain could make an argument for the best DL, he certainly showed up in the stats department. That's typical of a DE vs a DT. JHH was our best DL last year IMO.

Francis was our 5th best lineman last year. He played great for a freshman, key being a Freshman. It's good he got the experience.
First off, 247 has him listed as Scott is 6-4 310. He hasn’t even stepped foot in a college weight room and he’s already one of the biggest guys in that room. Idk what is a worse take, JHH being our best DL or Mauigo being the 5th best lineman on the team. Both are atrocious takes lmfao. Did you even watch a single game last year?

Advertisement
First off, 247 has him listed as Scott is 6-4 310. He hasn’t even stepped foot in a college weight room and he’s already one of the biggest guys in that room. Idk what is a worse take, JHH being our best DL or Mauigo being the 5th best lineman on the team. Both are atrocious takes lmfao. Did you even watch a single game last year?

I've seen your consistently bad takes, so I'm done after this post.

Oh he's one of the biggest guys in the room. Jesus, you really don't understand how college football works. You ever lined up against any, in a game, at this level? I have.

Yes, FM was the 5th best OL last year we had. You could argue 4th, but I'll stick with 5th. Beyond those 5, I'm not sure there's another P4 guy of quality in the room, but a lot of that will come down to development. He'll be dominant in two years, I'm not worried about him at all.

Since you like stars, I had big questions about Samson last year as well. Got all the prereq's you look for, but his competition was hot garbage. Guess what, he's huge as well, one of the biggest guys in the room. See what I did there. He's struggled though adjusting, that's what happens from high school to college.

I'll stand by the JHH comment. Not flashy, most people will miss what he did last year since they don't watch what DT's do most of the time. Solid year on a very underwhelming unit overall.

My guess is that bringing Gore in was a desperation play. And when you’re desperate, you look for production at his previous school, and maybe overlook the usual measurables. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Also, we've had a lot of staff turnover in Mario's first 2 full offseasons. Both on-field coaching and ancillary staff and they've had different goals for portal players every year. (This is a Mario issue...its not just been HIS vision since Day 1, he's had a lot of cooks in the kitchen at times, and some of those cooks weren't very good). Gore was a niche player. They brought him as a situational interior pass rusher (I would say, replacing a guy like Allen Haye on the roster).

He was T-2nd on the team from sacks on the interior (2) behind Deen (2.5) and JHH (2) and 2nd on the team in FF. Did it all against our weakest opponents, but the production - as little as it was, was still production. More sacks than Leonard Taylor.

Obviously a backup and niche player, but provided more than lots of the scrubs on the bottom 1/3 of our roster, which was probably the goal of taking a guy like this. He portals out in a year...nbd, to me. He was the minimum threshold of playable for a team that barely made a bowl game. Need to upgrade, but not an insulting take.

Sacks, no matter where they come from, is one of most expensive and most difficult to get in football. You can scheme it, but that leaves holes all over the defense unless you're built different. So you need dudes to get sacks. Gore proved his skillset doesn't play up. It was a one year rental. Not sure why this is a victory celebration.

Hopefully he's been recruited over and this means we are just getting better than a middle of the road ACC team. But do agree...we need to look better coming off the bus moving forward.

Advertisement
We definitely had some Hail Mary takes at DL last year. Not sure if it was necessarily bad evals or just that we were desperate for live bodies. Glad to see some of these mistakes getting fixed

Oh he's one of the biggest guys in the room. Jesus, you really don't understand how college football works. You ever lined up against any, in a game, at this level? I have.

Yes, FM was the 5th best OL last year we had. You could argue 4th, but I'll stick with 5th. Beyond those 5, I'm not sure there's another P4 guy of quality in the room, but a lot of that will come down to development. He'll be dominant in two years, I'm not worried about him at all.

Since you like stars, I had big questions about Samson last year as well. Got all the prereq's you look for, but his competition was hot garbage. Guess what, he's huge as well, one of the biggest guys in the room. See what I did there. He's struggled though adjusting, that's what happens from high school to college.

I'll stand by the JHH comment. Not flashy, most people will miss what he did last year since they don't watch what DT's do most of the time. Solid year on a very underwhelming unit overall.
I’m not going to argue with you on JHH and Mauigoa because it’s irrelevant here. The way we’ve been recruiting the dts this window kinda shows the value the staff see’s in Scott. Even Jones for that matter. Whether you like it or not, I believe Scott is going to get a lot of burn this year. The staff clearly feels that he’ll make an impact right from the jump. I don’t understand how there’s an issue with that

I’m not going to argue with you on JHH and Mauigoa because it’s irrelevant here. The way we’ve been recruiting the dts this window kinda shows the value the staff see’s in Scott. Even Jones for that matter. Whether you like it or not, I believe Scott is going to get a lot of burn this year. The staff clearly feels that he’ll make an impact right from the jump. I don’t understand how there’s an issue with that
He'll likely get burn this year, how much depends on how well he adjusts to college and the level of competition (I'm obviously discounting Ball St and Florida A & M).

The issue is expecting him to make a real impact "right from the jump". To me, a real impact is filling in on the two deep and providing quality reps as we get into the guts of the schedule. That's a lot to expect for someone who's never been through a college S & C program playing a position that typically require 2-3 years of development.

In addition, he's not an early entrant. We have yet to see what he brings when he shows up this summer. Don't forget that 5* rating is a projection of where he will be when he's ready for the NFL draft, not when he arrives on campus.

Advertisement
He'll likely get burn this year, how much depends on how well he adjusts to college and the level of competition (I'm obviously discounting Ball St and Florida A & M).

The issue is expecting him to make a real impact "right from the jump". To me, a real impact is filling in on the two deep and providing quality reps as we get into the guts of the schedule. That's a lot to expect for someone who's never been through a college S & C program playing a position that typically require 2-3 years of development.

In addition, he's not an early entrant. We have yet to see what he brings when he shows up this summer. Don't forget that 5* rating is a projection of where he will be when he's ready for the NFL draft, not when he arrives on campus.
I believe Scott is going to play a lot too . This biggest guy in the room comments my money is on bell he looks huge

Worst part about NIL is now we got posters talking money management here
Wu Tang Dap GIF

Diversify your bonds

Advertisement

Samson is probably cheeks let’s just call it how it is. But losing JHH imo ain’t a loss but that’s my opinion. But I do have Jones rated higher than Scott.

Advertisement
Samson is probably cheeks let’s just call it how it is. But losing JHH imo ain’t a loss but that’s my opinion. But I do have Jones rated higher than Scott.

It was a loss as things stood at that moment. We answered that loss, but dude I was quoting had Scott contributing in a big way. That's a recipe for disaster, counting on a true frosh DT.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Samson, but there's a reason I pegged Francis to see the field way before him. He was as college ready as they come for two reasons. He faced high end competition with that IMG national SCHEDULE. Even more importantly, he faced some of the best talent in the land daily at practice.

I said back then, patience would likely be the factor with Samson and I based that on his comp. You never know how ready to go someone will be when they face nobody like he did. That's a big component of OL evaluations and why so many are off. Big kid steamrolling small opponents or sloppy unathletic big kids. Hoping for the best here, he's fit everything you look for.

It was a loss as things stood at that moment. We answered that loss, but dude I was quoting had Scott contributing in a big way. That's a recipe for disaster, counting on a true frosh DT.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Samson, but there's a reason I pegged Francis to see the field way before him. He was as college ready as they come for two reasons. He faced high end competition with that IMG national SCHEDULE. Even more importantly, he faced some of the best talent in the land daily at practice.

I said back then, patience would likely be the factor with Samson and I based that on his comp. You never know how ready to go someone will be when they face nobody like he did. That's a big component of OL evaluations and why so many are off. Big kid steamrolling small opponents or sloppy unathletic big kids. Hoping for the best here, he's fit everything you look for.

I was having an argument with one of the Boston Canes guys on here back before Samson committed about this. I loved the target and agreed we were right to go after him. But I also said MA only produces 1 or 2 guys a year, and the comp is terrible. He looked like Tarzan, but we had no idea if he would play like Tarzan or Jane in college, and we should never expect him to be ready to contribute early.

Advertisement
Back