Thomas Gore portal

Only thing this thread is missing is anyone acknowledging how stupid they sounded 5 months ago arguing against building through the portal. @TheOriginalCane I'll hand up and listen.
Cross reference that group with the below thread... interesting none of them commented or liked...

Advertisement
So that should be 3 open schollies now. Looking at maybe LG, atleast 1 DT (should be 2), 1 DB, also still looking at another EDGE or RB? Surprised we haven’t thrown anymore Grad transfers like Gore into the portal

Advertisement
Yea I don't trust much of anything anymore. Even the can't miss guys we've gotten have underwhelmed.
Kind of ties into the whole pay up in the portal thing. If a guy is proven and you gotta pay a lot for a high school player anyway…

By all accounts was the #1 player on our board and the staff had him as a future top overall pick in the NFL and we're about to portal over him for a LG

Alarming indicator of the staff's ability to evaluate. He has time left to get there but that gap seems insurmountable at this point in time.

Cooper was a good find and he had some 3 stars at Oregon that turned out to be NFL players. Mostly on the OL but a few DL and guys in the secondary. Colbie was a good under the radar find. Lots of missed 4 stars at Oregon and trend continuing here. 2022 class is very alarming - luckily we can fall back on it being a "transition class". 2023 class is fading quickly minus a few guys.

Not sure how anyone argues this right now.
If people only knew the half of it with Samson lmao.

By all accounts was the #1 player on our board and the staff had him as a future top overall pick in the NFL and we're about to portal over him for a LG

Alarming indicator of the staff's ability to evaluate. He has time left to get there but that gap seems insurmountable at this point in time.

Cooper was a good find and he had some 3 stars at Oregon that turned out to be NFL players. Mostly on the OL but a few DL and guys in the secondary. Colbie was a good under the radar find. Lots of missed 4 stars at Oregon and trend continuing here. 2022 class is very alarming - luckily we can fall back on it being a "transition class". 2023 class is fading quickly minus a few guys.

Not sure how anyone argues this right now.
Extremely alarming imagine being the guy that flipped the bill for Samson only for him never to contribute anything this staff just recruits stars no real evaluation happening

Advertisement
Extremely alarming imagine being the guy that flipped the bill for Samson only for him never to contribute anything this staff just recruits stars no real evaluation happening
download.jpeg-5.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
People constantly underestimate the impact Justin Scott will have. You’ll see him on the field game 1 against Florida, regardless of how many dts we bring bring in through the portal. He’ll have a Mauigoa/Bain type impact. I don’t care that he’s a freshman, he’s just that good. I see him locking down that starting DT spot by late October/November

I disagreed with this for one reason only. If we're counting on him to start and play extensively this season, we're ****ed like Chuck at DT. That's no slight or his future to him either.

Bain is an anomaly. Mauigoa, while playing a ton, still looked green out there quite often. He was just the fifth best man we had to put out there. Depth behind him was non-P5 level.

LT - No replacement so worse
JHH - No replacement so worse
Deen = Cook (Maybe probably worse though)
Horton= Horton (if healthy and signs of life maybe better)
Moten=Moten
Lichenstein= A 300 bag of flour would be an upgrade
Gore= A 300 bag of flour would be an upgrade

Our top end has not gotten better on DT's, Our floor has gotten better. It still results in a mediocre unit.
You forgot CJ Clark who would argue is better than JHH

Advertisement
Back