Derrick Harmon - DT MSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I might catch hate for this but for me a championship run means a natty. I feel like this is Miami and that should always be the expectation regardless of the past 20 years.

We know what talent on a Miami championship team looks like. We need to bring more of it in by whatever means necessary.

But you know defense, I'm glad you're higher on this current room than I am.
Couldn't agree more but we also have to be realistic. MC is about to start season 3 of rebuilding a football program that's just suffered through almost 20 years of complete incompetence. It takes time no matter how much money is available. I would be ecstatic to see my Canes in a playoff game this season. And if there is some magic where we make it to the NC game even better.

If this season spring boards us to a better conference and recruiting dominance that we all think would happen, that of course sets us up well for the future. TONS riding on this season and it seems like MC knows it all too well.

Advertisement
Oh I admit I'm probably being unfair. I want us to get the last few pieces this team is missing to get us out of a 20 year purgatory.

I mean 20 ******* years man, yall have been exposed to the same **** just like I have. Well now we have a chance and light at the end of the tunnel with Cam Ward and all the pieces we already have on offense, the new NIL rules.... everything just sets up perfect and we're so ******* close, we just need a couple more pieces including DT but also DB.

I would hate for Miami to miss that opportunity just because they feel like they're good with what they got and no need to get into a bidding war with USC and Texas. It's like we got the ball at the goal line, just punch it in.

I mean let me ask you a question, do you feel like we have enough on defense right now at DT and in the secondary to make a championship run? Or do you agree with me that we're close but still a couple more additions away?
Just my impression, I don't think Mario will ever think we are good with what we have stop trying to upgrade.

I mean I might catch hate for this but for me a championship run means a natty. I feel like this is Miami and that should always be the expectation regardless of the past 20 years.

We know what talent on a Miami championship team looks like. We need to bring more of it in by whatever means necessary.

It's not that I'm higher on it. I've said my concerns. But I'm also a realist. In order to get those pieces in that we want for this season it in all likelihood means giving up on certain kids we recently brought in to be parts of our future. What pieces that are still on the roster are you willing to write off so we can find a one year possibly two year mercenary who may or may not fit in? What kids do we have on the roster now that we're all comfortable in saying(after sitting in their living rooms and promising to help develop them as not just football players but young men ready for the world)you aren't a part of our future so time for you to go? We don't really have any of that left. There's also a reason we have said over and over these teams will be built through high school recruiting and supplemented by transfers. Pretty tight line were on right now if you ask me. Just look at poo. They went 13-0 last year (even though they weren't amazing)they were built by transfers. Now look at them this year... Do they pump fear in yalls heart? No. **** no. In all honesty I think they take a huge step back & it's because they sacrificed on highschool recruiting and went heavy on transfers. That's a short term fix. Once those pieces are gone and you sacrificed kids who would've been pieces of your future than you just better pray you nail the portal again. Honestly I think we'll make a run at it all this year and end off top 5 top 8, something like that and lose against a team built for power. Because I do have the same concerns. But I know in order to fill them were shooting ourselves in the foot. I'm not comfortable with that. It's a great problem to have. But I'd say winning #6 if we keep this trajectory and we keep cool hand Luke is two years away. It's important to remember we've been **** eaters in large part nationally since 2004. Enjoy the ride.

Advertisement
Dude, I know you're smarter than this. Who said COLORADO was given a chance to match?

Visits School A. Offer.

Visits School B. School A suddenly calls and ups the offer.

Never visits School C.

I don't know why this is so hard to conceptualize. Guys change their minds all the time. Maybe he just loves LA, and the money sealed the deal. We just don't know.

Instead, we have guys ****ing and moaning that this is somehow an insult to Miami, or that Miami ****ed up, or that Miami's recruiting is ruined. Except all of that is wrong.
Didnt Rusty Mansell from UGA say you do not want to be head to head with Miami at the end? USC could see Colorado as not as big of a threat, go ahead on out there, they cannot match our NIL and rubs off any stink of tampering since he did his Jordan Addison rule visit.

However Miami could be seen as a threat and thus they work to make the visit not happen. Like you said could be infinite reasons.

It’s a tough choice to make.
Do we necessarily have to win a natty to make the Ward sweepstakes worth it?

Do we have to win a natty to make the money that’s been spent on the program the past 2 years worth it?
I really don’t get the notion that anyone is expecting to win a natty this year.

However, I don’t feel that 9 wins is the expectation either.
So I would say that an acc ****le and a playoff run is the expectation.

Now, if people think that the way the team is now can be a championship level team and that we need to make sure that d tackle isn’t thin, then I totally get it if they overspend.

But imo this team is not 1 d tackle away from winning a natty.

Maybe I got too much ptsd.
But I just don’t see going from 7-5 to a ring in one season.

Advertisement
It's not that I'm higher on it. I've said my concerns. But I'm also a realist. In order to get those pieces in that we want for this season it in all likelihood means giving up on certain kids we recently brought in to be parts of our future. What pieces that are still on the roster are you willing to write off so we can find a one year possibly two year mercenary who may or may not fit in? What kids do we have on the roster now that we're all comfortable in saying(after sitting in their living rooms and promising to help develop them as not just football players but young men ready for the world)you aren't a part of our future so time for you to go? We don't really have any of that left. There's also a reason we have said over and over these teams will be built through high school recruiting and supplemented by transfers. Pretty tight line were on right now if you ask me. Just look at poo. They went 13-0 last year (even though they weren't amazing)they were built by transfers. Now look at them this year... Do they pump fear in yalls heart? No. **** no. In all honesty I think they take a huge step back & it's because they sacrificed on highschool recruiting and went heavy on transfers. That's a short term fix. Once those pieces are gone and you sacrificed kids who would've been pieces of your future than you just better pray you nail the portal again. Honestly I think we'll make a run at it all this year and end off top 5 top 8, something like that and lose against a team built for power. Because I do have the same concerns. But I know in order to fill them were shooting ourselves in the foot. I'm not comfortable with that. It's a great problem to have. But I'd say winning #6 if we keep this trajectory and we keep cool hand Luke is two years away. It's important to remember we've been **** eaters in large part nationally since 2004. Enjoy the ride.

I respect that perspective, but college football has evolved over the past few years. College football isn't college football anymore like we knew it where schools invested in kids and developed them. These players are now getting paid, sometimes a decent amount of money. That makes them pros, men with jobs, not kids. Pros have a job to do and are expected to perform, nobody on this earth gets paid to learn. They get paid to produce.

And like any man with a job, if you're not contribuiting and someone comes along and can do your job better, you can get pink slipped. It's not personal, just business and the difference between being an amateur athelete and a pro. I don't necessarily like that it's gotten that way but it is what it is now. Not everyone we sign is going to pan out, some of these players are going to get processed and hopefully they can get an opportunity somewhere else that's a better fit.

People wanted these kids to get paid but I guess they didn't want or anticipate everything that comes along with being paid which means you're only here as long as you're useful.

I can count at least 6 players on our team right now that I don't think will ever make a big contribution here so, being blunt, they're expendible. That's harsh but real. Cutting underachievers and bringing in new talent from the portal and high school is going to be a yearly thing IMO.

It was one time....I'm sorry ok!
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Advertisement
I believe Mario and our fanbase have to resist the "sugar high" trap.

There are no pieces our Canes can bring in this year that are going to realistically establish a true Natty run. Accept it.

What can be done, is being done however: putting upgraded pieces on a rising roster through HS recruiting and selective Free Agency...errr...Transfer Portal additions.

Miami can't sacrifice 2025 and on by throwing harpoons at a uncatchable 2024 Moby ****.

Can Miami do, and should be, even better than we've seen? Absolutely. I would expect a legitimate noise making run late into the season for at least ACC Champ game consideration, if not punching a ticket to the game itself.

Just have to be realistic with how much gets mortgaged in 2024 so that it doesn't ruin the outyears (and potential new conference invite/arrival).

Last edited:
It’s a tough choice to make.
Do we necessarily have to win a natty to make the Ward sweepstakes worth it?

Do we have to win a natty to make the money that’s been spent on the program the past 2 years worth it?
I really don’t get the notion that anyone is expecting to win a natty this year.

However, I don’t feel that 9 wins is the expectation either.
So I would say that an acc ****le and a playoff run is the expectation.

Now, if people think that the way the team is now can be a championship level team and that we need to make sure that d tackle isn’t thin, then I totally get it if they overspend.

But imo this team is not 1 d tackle away from winning a natty.

Maybe I got too much ptsd.
But I just don’t see going from 7-5 to a ring in one season.

I'm not saying I think Miami is going to win the natty this year, just that that should be the program's standard and goal every year. And you never know, man, Clemson won a couple natties with elite QB and DL play and not much else, when you have an elite QB anything can happen. I mean this offense is going to be elite this year even if they don't add anyone else. We have NFL players all over the offense.

Defense is another story. We're Miami standard at edge and middle linebacker, that's it. Our DB room is scary. Our DTs are just guys. There are ways opposing offenses can attack this defense, especially better teams. Would be nice to patch up those rooms before fall.

Advertisement
I believe Mario and our fanbase has to resist the "sugar high" trap.

There are no pieces our Canes can bring in this year that are going to realistically establish a true Natty run. Accept it.

What can be done, is being done however...putting upgraded pieces in a rising roster through HS recruiting and selective Free Agency...errr...Transfer Portal additions.

Miami can't sacrifice 2025 and on by throwing harpoons at a uncatchable Moby **** in 2024.

Can Miami do, and should be, even better than we've seen? Absolutely. I would expect a legitimate noise making run late into the season for at least ACC Champ game consideration, if not punching a ticket to the game itself.

Just have to be realistic with how much gets mortgaged in 2024 so that it doesn't ruin the outyears (and potential new conference invite/arrival) in the outyears.

I get what you’re saying about a Natty but barring injuries if this team with this schedule doesn’t make it to the ACCCG then the season is a failure.

Didnt Rusty Mansell from UGA say you do not want to be head to head with Miami at the end? USC could see Colorado as not as big of a threat, go ahead on out there, they cannot match our NIL and rubs off any stink of tampering since he did his Jordan Addison rule visit.

However Miami could be seen as a threat and thus they work to make the visit not happen. Like you said could be infinite reasons.

Yes. That's all I was trying to say.

I understand the frustration. But people need to NOT make this some binary-thing ("Miami was outbid" or "Miami started too late" or whatever other incorrect reason is cited).

If USC maxed its offer, it could be fear of Colorado, it could be fear of Miami, it could be FOMO. Doesn't matter. They seem to have maxed the offer. And that means it's now up to the kid. Maybe he has family in Cali. Maybe he loved his USC visit. Maybe he wishes they all could be California girls. Doesn't matter. He seems to like USC.

It's just misguided to have dozens of posts bashing Miami for inaccurate reasons because we missed on ONE recruit, no matter how much people seem to want to clone Vince Wilfork.

I respect that perspective, but college football has evolved over the past few years. College football isn't college football anymore like we knew it where schools invested in kids and developed them. These players are now getting paid, sometimes a decent amount of money. That makes them pros, men with jobs, not kids. Pros have a job to do and are expected to perform, nobody on this earth gets paid to learn. They get paid to produce.

And like any man with a job, if you're not contribuiting and someone comes along and can do your job better, you can get pink slipped. It's not personal, just business and the difference between being an amateur athelete and a pro. I don't necessarily like that it's gotten that way but it is what it is now. Not everyone we sign is going to pan out, some of these players are going to get processed and hopefully they can get an opportunity somewhere else that's a better fit.

People wanted these kids to get paid but I guess they didn't want or anticipate everything that comes along with being paid which means you're only here as long as you're useful.

I can count at least 6 players on our team right now that I don't think will ever make a big contribution here so, being blunt, they're expendible. That's harsh but real. Cutting underachievers and bringing in new talent from the portal and high school is going to be a yearly thing IMO.
I can think of 3 vets that will most likely never take another meaningful snap for us again in Zion,Redding and Balom.

Didnt Rusty Trombone from UGA say you do not want to be head to head with Miami at the end? USC could see Colorado as not as big of a threat, go ahead on out there, they cannot match our NIL and rubs off any stink of tampering since he did his Jordan Addison rule visit.

FIFY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back