• Dewey

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Thompson

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Crow

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
i think alot of people are underestimating williams

people say he doesnt have a good arm......not true......his arm is better than most think........but lets also not forget.......dorsey didnt have a huge arm either.....and wasnt very mobile......but he was accurate and he was a smart qb

I completely agree here. Williams may be someone we can count on for the next 3 years.

Advertisement
I'd be surprised if it's not Morris, and I find that depressing. Up to this point I'm not sold on the kid at all. I just don't see it with him. I think people have gotten too caught up on his physical attributes, and too caught up on him not being Jacory, to see that it just doesn't look like he has a whole lot of feel for the game.

That said, I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully he's working his *** off and soaking up everything Fisch can tell him.

Im thinking williams well have a solid spring and push him up the depth chart.. but on the same token i could care less whose name is on the back of our starting QB as long as he's getting his job done..

Advertisement
i'm glad there is true competition this year...not a 'winner' based on what high school he went to or what he did versus Deerfield Beach or that he talked a big game and hopped off a bus in columbu$ wearing a sweatervest.

Like the guy a few posts above wrote, I don't care what the name is on the back of the jersey, just get the job done...win.

There is a reason we picked up Williams. Morris is a QB with a strong arm and great mobility, but he is severely mentally lacking as a QB. He cannot see the LB across the middle, which also brings me to another point, which is that he only seems capable of throwing bullets. I've never seen him throw a successful fade. That was the one pass that Jacory got right, and that is why he got so many touchdowns. Morris will be torn to pieces out there. The Maryland game proved it.

Williams is a serviceable QB from what I understand, and he can utilize whatever weapons we have. I don't think he will be outstanding, but I believe that he can have a pretty good year as a starter this year.

I think all the freshman are going to redshirt unless Williams sustains a major injury, and Williams may be replaced by his second year if either Dewey or Thompson is up to the task. Williams is a decent enough stopgap, and if none of the QB's we recruited this year pan out he can probably hold the fort down well enough until our Recruiting Class of 2013 QB (hopefully Olsen) is ready.

If Morris starts we are in for another year of misery. He could be a worse interception machine that Junior Year Jacory Harris, and he isn't going to catch on his senior year the way Harris did. I have zero faith in him.

We picked up Williams because we only had 1 returning scholarship QB at the time. It had nothing to do with their lack of faith in Morris.

Advertisement
Morris is one of the best locally produced QB's to come through Coral Gables -- he could be the real deal. Erickson #1, then a lot of mediocrity (collins, crudup, harris...)

Was Whipple right?

What? One TD pass against Maryland two years ago, a bunch of INTs, and dear in the headlights when the game was on the line is mostly what I've seen.

Hopefully, the miracles Fisch worked with JH will repeat

Fisch won't need a "miracle" to make Morris into a good quarterback.

Gray Crow

6'3'', 220 lbs.
Clearwater, FL
Countryside High School

Physically well developed athlete, with a good, not great, arm strength yet capable of making all the throws needed. At times, he throws arcs when he should throw lasers and needs to improve in this area. He throws with some touch and good ball placement, but does not always throw with enough power to fit the ball into tight spots. Also, at the top of his release the ball looks like it can get away from him which takes velocity off of his throws. This is a player that is savvy and appears to be very competitive. He is good with play-action and ball fakes and usually makes wise decisions with the ball, but he can force throws at times leading to INTs. Sets up quickly and shows good balance to stand in the pocket and work through his progressions. Can get happy feet sometimes, but usually has a good feel for pressure and can move subtly while keeping his eyes down field. Eats zone coverages alive. Bright, mature, and hard-working with leadership skills.

* Crow was a top underclassmen target for now Florida OC Charlie Weis when he was at Notre Dame
* Transferred from Countryside to Ocala Trinity as a SO before ending up back a Countyside as a JR.
* Production fell from 20 TDs and 6 INTs at Trinity to 7 TDs and 8 INTs at Countyside.

Stephen Morris had a solid true freshman year, that's in the books. He was on the scout team, and then got thrown into the mix.

He won the Maryland game that season, showing some moxy and mojo.

He was #2 this year, behind a senior QB. He's got a great arm too, and can run it. I think he might really develop in our offense, because we definitely need him to stop throwing picks.

I'm probably one of the biggest Morris fans on the board. He can make all the throws. Everyone dogging him comes from his true FR year (when he wasn't even taking 2nd string snaps when he played his first game) and vs Maryland where at one point he was 15-18 (or something ridiculous like that).

I believe he could be a really really good QB, all-conference type guy.

Advertisement
I'd be surprised if it's not Morris, and I find that depressing. Up to this point I'm not sold on the kid at all. I just don't see it with him. I think people have gotten too caught up on his physical attributes, and too caught up on him not being Jacory, to see that it just doesn't look like he has a whole lot of feel for the game.

That said, I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully he's working his *** off and soaking up everything Fisch can tell him.

this

There is a reason we picked up Williams. Morris is a QB with a strong arm and great mobility, but he is severely mentally lacking as a QB. He cannot see the LB across the middle, which also brings me to another point, which is that he only seems capable of throwing bullets. I've never seen him throw a successful fade. That was the one pass that Jacory got right, and that is why he got so many touchdowns. Morris will be torn to pieces out there. The Maryland game proved it.

Williams is a serviceable QB from what I understand, and he can utilize whatever weapons we have. I don't think he will be outstanding, but I believe that he can have a pretty good year as a starter this year.

I think all the freshman are going to redshirt unless Williams sustains a major injury, and Williams may be replaced by his second year if either Dewey or Thompson is up to the task. Williams is a decent enough stopgap, and if none of the QB's we recruited this year pan out he can probably hold the fort down well enough until our Recruiting Class of 2013 QB (hopefully Olsen) is ready.

If Morris starts we are in for another year of misery. He could be a worse interception machine that Junior Year Jacory Harris, and he isn't going to catch on his senior year the way Harris did. I have zero faith in him.

We got Williams because we would have had 1 guy coming back this year in Morris. I think he can play too but we were bringing in a transfer or something because our QB depth was non-existant.

Also where is this idea that he is "mentally lacking?" Because he struggled at times as a FR? Show me a true FR QB that doesn't struggle.

Advertisement
I also voted for Williams. Hard worker with good attitude. Arm is good enough to win with.

I got Morris. Jacory had a big turnaround under Fisch(minus the BC game) and that was only after having been under Fisch for about 8 months. Morris will have had a year and 8 months, by the time the season starts. He should know the offense very well. And a lot of Jacory's and Stephen's INT problems, weren't so much their problems, as it was Whipple's problem as an OC.

lulz...

Jacory's int problems were jacory's int problems (as evidenced by the BC game) he embraced the game manager role, then went all jacory us in his final game for the U... Morris' INT "problems" were a function of him being a TRUE FRESHMAN.. we'll see how he does this year.. but it's silly to act like Morris is Jacory 2.0 based on 5 games his true freshman season.

I voted Williams. I think either way though, we will be better off since it will be a competition between 2 guys who have had a year under Fisch. I won't be mad if Morris wins the job. Dude has a cannon. I just don't feel like it's necessary to have a cannon in college. Just be accurate and get the ball to playmakers.

lol yea, that's why Jacory's INT numbers only blew up during the Whipple era. Did you miss out on the Virginia game when Jacory got knocked out? Did you see Whipple Jr. come in and immediately throw 2 picks? Did you see how Morris came in after and threw another 2 picks? But yea, it's all Jacory. 20 TDs and 9 INTs is awful. 12 TDs and 7 INTs his freshman year was awful. Whipple is a ******* clown and turned any QB he touched here into an immediate INT machine under him.

Oh and BTW, in his limited time last year, not as a TRUE FRESHMAN, Morris still threw 2 INTs to 0 TDs. But yea, it's all on Jacory and he's the only INT machine around.

Advertisement
Back