Young defensive linemen

Hege - speaking for myself, I'm not writing anyone off. Just offering opinions, obviously nothing posted on here means ****. I'm an idiot, I don't have any faith in the stuff I post myself, but it's boring to just actually wait and see.

Advertisement
the top guys will be a mix. Chick and Smith from Golden's time. Porter (i think he has a break out year this year if he stays healthy) and Green/Cain combo at RE I think actually will be solid if Green can stay healthy (i know a really big if). Also, I like Robinson in the 3rd DT in the rotation role. I hope Pierre is up to the task of making it a 2 starters then 2 back ups rotation but if he's not then just the coaches just need to rotate Robinson in with Porter and Smith. Can have Green slide to DT in nickel situation or have a different DE play DT in the nickel.

just wouldn't count too much on guys from this year's class. if we are going to actually win games this year we need the vets to do their job.

'11 had a lot of JAGs...other than Chickillo, I expect those guys to simply be bench depth, role guys, and situational standouts AT BEST.

'12 is a little different...Hamilton and McCord are the standouts, but I think both guys are redshirt years + before they actually should contribute...both guys need to add size. The rest...developmental guys, too in some regard.

'12 I think has some talent that could develop, but it needs time to develop. RS year is going to be vital for nearly all of them, otherwise, you stunt the growth a little bit.

I dont blame Golden for any potential JAGS from 2011. Several of those potential JAGS actually had to play some huge minutes last year since Shammin left us completely ***ked at DL. We would be playing ***king walk-ons without guys like Pierre, Grimble, and Smith.

But what should Golden do if these guys end up turning into JAGS? With such a small class coming in for 2013, schollies are going to be at a premium. And we are actually looking good for 3 elite prospects at DT at least. So should Golden do the Sabanesque thing and find creative ways to jettison some of these guys? Or do we keep the JAGS and cannibalize and weaken other positions on the roster to keep 10 DTs on the roster, even if only 4 will get significant playing time (in a typical 4 man DT rotation)??

P
I dont blame Golden for any potential JAGS from 2011. Several of those potential JAGS actually had to play some huge minutes last year since Shammin left us completely ***ked at DL. We would be playing ***king walk-ons without guys like Pierre, Grimble, and Smith.

But what should Golden do if these guys end up turning into JAGS? With such a small class coming in for 2013, schollies are going to be at a premium. And we are actually looking good for 3 elite prospects at DT at least. So should Golden do the Sabanesque thing and find creative ways to jettison some of these guys? Or do we keep the JAGS and cannibalize and weaken other positions on thpe roster to keep 10 DTs on the roster, even if only 4 will get significant playing time (in a typical 4 man DT rotation)??
Golden should do the Sabanesque thing and jettison guys where it is appropriate and called for. Let the competition weed out the guys who will never contribute.

Advertisement
How good coach JF is? You don't coach in the NFL or at USC if you are a mediocre coach.Listen guys,I think some of our fans don't realize how vanilla our past D schemes were.It

literally was "fly to the football". Our DLine had to learn stunts and containment in gaps,how to learn to bat down passes.After a year of learning,I think a lot of these guys will step up

on defense.Bottom line is our D ranked 18th in the country last year in scoring,and points are all that matters.Coach D will be able to unleash more of his playbook and blitz more and

play more man-to-man,and our d-line will have their timing down on stunts.We'll dominate this year.

How good coach JF is? You don't coach in the NFL or at USC if you are a mediocre coach.Listen guys,I think some of our fans don't realize how vanilla our past D schemes were.It

literally was "fly to the football". Our DLine had to learn stunts and containment in gaps,how to learn to bat down passes.After a year of learning,I think a lot of these guys will step up

on defense.Bottom line is our D ranked 18th in the country last year in scoring,and points are all that matters.Coach D will be able to unleash more of his playbook and blitz more and

play more man-to-man,and our d-line will have their timing down on stunts.We'll dominate this year.

like the optimism :fistbump:

Advertisement
I think Briscoe will be a monster. Also think Tyriq McCord will be fun to watch coming off the edge.

I think Briscoe will be a monster. Also think Tyriq McCord will be fun to watch coming off the edge.

AGREED! McCord is only 230, but this is college.I think sometimes we forget that here at Miami and expect everyone to be NFL ready.Plenty of d-ends in college football that dominated over the years at McCords size.We can set him up to play rush linebacker in certain 3-4 sets too.

Advertisement
Back