Young defensive linemen

In two years, Coach Golden has signed 14 defensive linemen.

Anthony Chickillo
Olsen Pierre
Ricardo Williams
Jalen Grimble
Darius Smith
Corey King
Junior Alexis

Jelani Hamilton
Dwayne Hoilett
Jake O'Donnell
Daquan Ivery
Jacoby Briscoe
Earl Moore
Tyriq McCord

We know Chickillo is the truth. Who else will emerge to bring the Canes defensive line back to its rightful place? Truth be told, I'm a bit concerned about the amount of JAGs from last year's class. It's early, but nobody but Chick is generating buzz. This year's class looks more athletic but has question marks of its own.

Will the foundation of the next great defensive line come from this group?

Saban has had a lot of success brining in large numbers of these types of kids and developing them. I don't see much difference at this stage of their careers from this group then Damion Square, Quinton Dial, Jesse Williams and Stinson at Bama.

Advertisement
Let's try and be patient and revisit this next year. We are longing for a return to dominance and hoping it happens on the backs of kids that have played very little CFB. Improvement, talent and productivity need to be seen this season without a doubt; however, I don't believe it is time to sound the warning bell just yet.

Good points/questions . . . sure feels like we could have taken defensive linemen and young out and inserted every other position. Sure we may be marginally more talented at other spots, but I feel weve been saying this particularly about the OL the last several years . . . and they continue to underwhelm. In other words what spot on the team arent you worried about?

Once again (I keep telling ya'll), the DL has always been Golden's specialty.

Not worried at all about this. Al will get it right at this position, if nothing else.

Once again (I keep telling ya'll), the DL has always been Golden's specialty.

Not worried at all about this. Al will get it right at this position, if nothing else.

Yeah-huh. Even though I'm a big Dolphins fan, I'm very interested to see how M. Wilkerson does with the Jest.

Advertisement
I think the championship caliber DL is going to come from this years class with Bryant, Bain, and Bostich, hopefully

The 11' haul was God awful save 3G. Grimble never impressed me, his film was of a kid just bull rushing his way to the QB. This last class was solid, but we still need to find that elite pass rushing DE. McCord and Holliet at this point need to add bulk before they can anything other than hybrids. We need that full time DE that has the explosiveness to be a pass rusher and right now we dont have it.

The 11' haul was God awful save 3G. Grimble never impressed me, his film was of a kid just bull rushing his way to the QB. This last class was solid, but we still need to find that elite pass rushing DE. McCord and Holliet at this point need to add bulk before they can anything other than hybrids. We need that full time DE that has the explosiveness to be a pass rusher and right now we dont have it.

Jelani Hamilton would be a good candidate to fill that void

Hamilton is coming off an ACL so may not be ready to contribute immediately. in 2013 he could be an ideal compliment to Chick.

Advertisement
This D line group has some pieces. Bain Bostwick Bryant will solidify this group. Alexis King }vory are not Miami caliber kids. The staff had to take some kids out ofneccneccesity. The Dline is thelast group on the roster that still has some holes and dead weight. Also once this program is estabished some kids than could use use a redshbirt will be. Gribble and Pierre needed to be shirted.

What's wrong with Ivery? He's a nose tackle, that's all he does. He's not going to look more "impressive" on film because his job is to take up 2 blockers and hold his ground.

I saw two STA games and while Hamilton did seem like a specimen of sorts, I never walked away thinking "wow, that kid's an explosive guy who's going to terrorize QBs". But... let's hope he is. We desperately need that player and people smarter than me seem to think he can be a real good one.

We aren't pretty up front but they look stout. Guys like McCord and Hamilton might emerge as pass rushers but we need the guys inside to get dirty. I think we have that.

Advertisement

I saw two STA games and while Hamilton did seem like a specimen of sorts, I never walked away thinking "wow, that kid's an explosive guy who's going to terrorize QBs". But... let's hope he is. We desperately need that player and people smarter than me seem to think he can be a real good one.
+1

Dont think he's that at all. Could be a solid big DE. Not super quick or strong however.

+1

Dont think he's that at all. Could be a solid big DE. Not super quick or strong however.

HERE he is Healthy 2:03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWefuM4G1GE

Advertisement

I see a kid that has a ton of potential but he isnt built as a pass rusher. I see a run stopper, but not your go to guy on third and long.

Hamilton's best value is as a big, long-armed defensive end who can set the edge. We've been undersized at defensive end for a while, especially for the 3-4 looks D'Onofrio will sometimes run.

Hamilton has the perfect physical traits for that role, but it takes toughness, discipline and unselfishness. It's not a glamour position. Time will tell whether Jelani has that mindset. The fact he's coming from a place like St. Thomas is encouraging, though.

Really?

We're already saying freshmen and sophomores are busts?

Facepalm.
Well I would agree with you on that in most cases, but the reason there is concern is because we have been lacking depth and talent all over the field on defense. So when a young kid cant even make any noise it is concerning.

Advertisement
Back