Young defensive linemen

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
In two years, Coach Golden has signed 14 defensive linemen.

Anthony Chickillo
Olsen Pierre
Ricardo Williams
Jalen Grimble
Darius Smith
Corey King
Junior Alexis

Jelani Hamilton
Dwayne Hoilett
Jake O'Donnell
Daquan Ivery
Jacoby Briscoe
Earl Moore
Tyriq McCord

We know Chickillo is the truth. Who else will emerge to bring the Canes defensive line back to its rightful place? Truth be told, I'm a bit concerned about the amount of JAGs from last year's class. It's early, but nobody but Chick is generating buzz. This year's class looks more athletic but has question marks of its own.

Will the foundation of the next great defensive line come from this group?

Advertisement
Anthony Chickillo- i at least expect him to take a next step with a full year in a college program
Olsen Pierre- 2 deep
Ricardo Williams-depth
Jalen Grimble- this guy must be the most under the radar 5 star guy. not sure if i should be worried
Darius Smith- jc guy-- expecting quality reps
Corey King- unrated out of hs might be that diamond in the rough
Junior Alexis-????

Advertisement
I think Briscoe will be a monster. Also think Tyriq McCord will get on the field early. I've been disappointed in the lack of progress from Rico Williams

I think Briscoe will be a monster. Also think Tyriq McCord will get on the field early. I've been disappointed in the lack of progress from Rico Williams

About how I feel except not disappointed by Rico...wasn't expecting much.

It's the one area on our team/recruiting that I'm not optimistic about. Other than Chick, I just don't see anything more than JAGs, as you mentioned. I was hopeful Grimble would turn it on but I've never heard anything other than JAG-talk from those who've seen the team. I'm a fan of Hoilett. Worried a little about McCord's size, but like his athletic ability. Other guys... I just don't see championship caliber players. There's some size at DT, I'm hopeful that the weightroom emphasis is going to at least get some of these guys holding their ground at minimum, but I don't see any dominating types.

Thankfully AG, MD, and Jethro know more than me about DL and hopefully they're a lot happier than I am about it. If so, great.

Advertisement
Lets talk about if our DL sucks after this year cause like D$ said there YOUNG.... so we haven't even seen them. its the same as claiming DUKE will be a MONSTA yet hasn't played a game

Briscoe is definitely a big time talent, he needs to develop a consistent motor.

Grimble will be good once his body matures.

Olsen Pierre is better than JAG, but not a star.

McCord will be a nasty edge guy in a hybrid front, same for Hoilett.

Hamilton will be a **** good player.

And O'Donnell is a Golden special, he could be great, he could be crap, but he probably won't be JAG.

Advertisement
I think we can be cautiously optimistic about the defensive line, and here's why (not including Chick):

1. Darius Smith was brought in for a singular purpose - immediate impact. We had no reliable beef in the interior of our DL and he was more physically mature being JUCO. He has already logged plenty of quality PT and should show improved, more consistent play this year.

2. Olsen Pierre was obviously very highly regarded by the staff as he was the only player to carry over from the Temple commit list. He has already grown into a defensive tackle, and if he can continue to grow, add strength, and maintain quickness, he may surprise. His development will be an interesting gauge of Golden, Inc's ability to identify "Miami talent."

3. Jalen Grimble was highly regarded for a reason, and while everyone wants instant gratification, perhaps it will take him some time to really blow up. The potential is there, no question.

I don't want to comment too much on the incoming freshies, since I haven't seen them play yet, but I think Jacoby Briscoe has the potential to be a really nice DT down the road. Everyone knows what McCord and Hamilton bring to the table.

Obviously we need to keep adding quality talent on the DL but I think we have some guys who can develop into impact players.

Youth no excuse. Per Golden.

They're all 'Canes.

Not freshmen, not sophomores, not juniors, not seniors.

'Canes.

Seriously - D$ said they were young, so why don't we see how they play before we grade them as JAGS or jagoff's or whatever.

Advertisement
In two years, Coach Golden has signed 14 defensive linemen.

Anthony Chickillo
Olsen Pierre
Ricardo Williams
Jalen Grimble
Darius Smith
Corey King
Junior Alexis

Jelani Hamilton
Dwayne Hoilett
Jake O'Donnell
Daquan Ivery
Jacoby Briscoe
Earl Moore
Tyriq McCord

We know Chickillo is the truth. Who else will emerge to bring the Canes defensive line back to its rightful place? Truth be told, I'm a bit concerned about the amount of JAGs from last year's class. It's early, but nobody but Chick is generating buzz. This year's class looks more athletic but has question marks of its own.

Will the foundation of the next great defensive line come from this group?
I think you have to consider circumstaces. King and Alexis were late adds, not recruited guys. Smith was what we could find in juco that year.

Of the rest of the first group, chick is the truth, grimble, who knows, i'm not optimistic. Pierre seems solid and kudos to AG for having had him committed to temple. Williams was always a projection based on putting on weight so its early to judge but i never was optimistic there. I just dont like that whole strategy of type pf DE. Some turn into jarvis moss, others remain john square. Too risky, IMO.

The second group is better, but there were not good DT options in FL last year, so i grade on a curve. We didnt have the luxury from a roster depth pov to skip the spot, so we take moore and ivery.... Maybe future depth at OG. I am optimistic on briscoe however. Nice find, IMO.

The horses will come this year, hopefully, at DT.

At DE, it'll be interesting to see what develops. I like Hoilett. Not sold on Hamilton. No idea on O'Donnell. Like McCord a lot.

Advertisement
Back