Word is fletcher is out for the season…

FACTS. I actually posted a comment on the RB Room is Filthy thread, then deleted it because I didn't want to come across as too negative. But Martinez is the only playoff level back on roster.

Last year's Fletcher could get us there because our line is so strong but on his own was "maybe" a top 15-30 back. Last year's Allen was a terrible blocker and an unreliable ball carrier. Last year's Johnson went down when a defender pinky tackled him. Maybe one or more of those guys gets better. Maybe CHW and Lyle (who I really liked as a recruit) are the real deal as true freshman. But I see no proof we've got anyone behind Martinez good enough to help Miami's playoff run this season, other than a potentially healthy Fletcher who is at least as good as he was last season. Fingers crossed.
Weird as **** that you wouldn't give your honest assessment of the RB room...

Others, without being "too negative" had also suggested the need for potentially 2 RBs in the offseason due to the need for a big season and the talent, health or experience of the room.

Advertisement
Please explain.

How is CJ and capable when neither have played a meaningful snap in college?

Allen is a nice number 4 back. Having those as your back RB option heading in Gainesville is less than ideal.

Yall need to stop living in this world of 7 win roster type talent.

Outside of Martinez Miami is in trouble at RB if Fletcher can go. You want to win 10 games you need more than just Martinez and “capable” backs.
What are you talking about.

Allen has played meaningful snaps. Did he not have a critical td last year when he hurdled someone? Isn’t Lyle the number 1 rb in the country per one 3.

Obviously, if Fletcher isn’t a go, those 3 cause a bit of concern BEHIND Martinez. But this is all a discussion of not needing Fletcher to rush. I think we could probably all agree we would rather Fletcher be good to go for a full compliment back in ACC play.

No need to be miserable and turn this into “yall need to stop living in a 7 win roster”. I think we have a really good room. Simple opinion. Have yours and enjoy your Saturday

Advertisement
And they weren’t good. You aren’t winning 10 games if Fletcher doesn’t play the bulk of this year during meaningful games.
It was a big time game and we won boohoo they were a 9 win team instead of a 10 win team. Of course I want playmakers but we have guys in a backup roll to Martinez who are fine and I hope Fletcher is back ASAP.

It was a big time game and we won boohoo they were a 9 win team instead of a 10 win team. Of course I want playmakers but we have guys in a backup roll to Martinez who are fine and I hope Fletcher is back ASAP.

That's entirely the point. Those two teams would probably have gone 5-5 against each other over 10 games played. There wasn't much differentiation and there were no true difference makers. No more Trevor Lawrence to rely on. Miami should have had 9-10 wins last year, too. But when we're only as good or slightly better than our competition, we have a high chance of losing on any given Saturday.

If we want to avoid having 3-5 loses every season and become a consistent 0-2 loss team, we need playmakers that are clearly a step above the competition, so the game doesn't come down to the final series or two in the 4th quarter. Martinez gives us that. A healthy Fletcher who is at a minimum as good as the best he played last year gives us that. I see no one else in that RB room who does. Certainly there's no proof that they can.

That's entirely the point. Those two teams would probably have gone 5-5 against each other over 10 games played. There wasn't much differentiation and there were no true difference makers. No more Trevor Lawrence to rely on. Miami should have had 9-10 wins last year, too. But when we're only as good or slightly better than our competition, we have a high chance of losing on any given Saturday.

If we want to avoid having 3-5 loses every season and become a consistent 0-2 loss team, we need playmakers that are clearly a step above the competition, so the game doesn't come down to the final series or two in the 4th quarter. Martinez gives us that. A healthy Fletcher who is at a minimum as good as the best he played last year gives us that. I see no one else in that RB room who does. Certainly there's no proof that they can.
Jordan Lyle is a better running back prospect than Fletcher coming out of high school. As a senior he ran for 1,376 and 21 TDs on 10.6 yards per carry, against great competition. Lyle will be a playmaker for this team and have a better freshman season than Fletcher.

Jordan Lyle is a better running back prospect than Fletcher coming out of high school. As a senior he ran for 1,376 and 21 TDs on 10.6 yards per carry, against great competition. Lyle will be a playmaker for this team and have a better freshman season than Fletcher.
saturday night live snl GIF

Advertisement
Please explain.

How is CJ and Lyle capable when neither have played a meaningful snap in college?

Allen is a nice number 4 back. Having those as your back RB option heading in Gainesville is less than ideal.

Yall need to stop living in this world of 7 win roster type talent.

Outside of Martinez Miami is in trouble at RB if Fletcher can go. You want to win 10 games you need more than just Martinez and “capable” backs.
For the UF game we are miles ahead of UF in the RB department. soooo

No one is taking about UF when we express concerns about RB. We’re looking at the season as a whole. It’s a brutal position and injuries happen. We want to be deep enough to hold up and win enough games to at least get to the playoffs, and hopefully make some noise there.

No one is taking about UF when we express concerns about RB. We’re looking at the season as a whole. It’s a brutal position and injuries happen. We want to be deep enough to hold up and win enough games to at least get to the playoffs, and hopefully make some noise there.
Uhhh bestrode said we can't win big games without Fletcher healthy.

UF = Big Game.

Even with Fletcher out our RB room is way ahead of UF. soooooo

Advertisement
Advertisement
FSU won 13 games with Benson, Toafili, and a kid who is now at FAMU. Are you ok?
While I hear you, let's be real. Benson was better than anyone we've had on the roster in a bit and Toafili would get serious burn here. BTW, I do believe we'll be fine at RB. I do think that Lyle gets quite a few touches this year since RB is one of the easiest positions to translate from HS to college.

While I hear you, let's be real. Benson was better than anyone we've had on the roster in a bit and Toafili would get serious burn here. BTW, I do believe we'll be fine at RB. I do think that Lyle gets quite a few touches this year since RB is one of the easiest positions to translate from HS to college.

Benson is definitely better than Martinez? And so much better that comparing Toafili/Hill to Lyle/Allen/Johnson doesn’t close the gap at all? Seems silly to think Fletcher limits the ceiling of the team by literal wins.

Benson is definitely better than Martinez? And so much better that comparing Toafili/Hill to Lyle/Allen/Johnson doesn’t close the gap at all? Seems silly to think Fletcher limits the ceiling of the team by literal wins.
I do believe that Benson is better than Martinez. They both have about the same avg YPC at a little over 6 YPC, but I believe he has more speed - ran 4.39 40 at combine. Not saying the gap isn't close for RB2/3 but Toafili is a proven commodity and, besides Fletcher, none of our other RB's have proven much. Agree with you - and I don't believe that Fletcher limits the ceiling for wins at all.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back