Why don't we love Hard Rock?

steve carrell anchorman GIF by FirstAndMonday

Advertisement
I live in Miami Gardens, went to Norland. Only went to the original Orange Bowl once as a younger kid. Been to the Panthers, UNC & Duke's stadiums (all against Miami when I was stationed in NC.) Went to Hard Rock plenty of times, as far as the recent renovations, I think I've been 3-4 times. The atmosphere is so energetic and electric when the fans are there. Absolutely loved the place and in comparison, the UNC/Duke games felt nothing like Hard Rock (even while packed). Panthers game had relatively the same energy. Maybe I'm VERY biased because I'm a Dolphins fan as well as living close to the stadium...but I love that stadium and when its popping, its FUN
Miami Gardens > Tallahassee > Gainesville

I've been to a few college and pro stadiums, and Hard Rock is nicer than most. Win more games, so we can see the ND and VagTech type crowds from the CMR era.

I live in Miami Gardens, went to Norland. Only went to the original Orange Bowl once as a younger kid. Been to the Panthers, UNC & Duke's stadiums (all against Miami when I was stationed in NC.) Went to Hard Rock plenty of times, as far as the recent renovations, I think I've been 3-4 times. The atmosphere is so energetic and electric when the fans are there. Absolutely loved the place and in comparison, the UNC/Duke games felt nothing like Hard Rock (even while packed). Panthers game had relatively the same energy. Maybe I'm VERY biased because I'm a Dolphins fan as well as living close to the stadium...but I love that stadium and when its popping, its FUN

Great post and thank you for your service.

You pretty much break it down:

The problem isn't JRS. The problem is we don't have enough fans who consistently attend UM home games.

Advertisement
Like all of us, I loved the OB. Nothing will ever compare when it comes to in-game environment. That said, I have no issue with the club level experience at Hard Rock.

Because we haven’t won **** in it, that’s why. The Orange Bowl wasn’t 5 star accommodations by any means but we ruled *** for the most part when we played there.

B/c it’s a teal stadium that was built specifically for the Miami Dolphins, which Ross clearly made as evidence & The University of Miami is not profiting from it.

B/c literally nothing about that stadium shows it’s a home field for The University of Miami in any capacity. It’s a neutral field type of stadium just like AT&T Stadium for the Texas Longhorns prime time events or Mercedes Benz for UGA’s prime time events.

Don’t @ me either b/c I have no skin in this, but if u wanna know why, that’s why. Ppl who vouch for the venue is vouching from a convenience standpoint vs. a University of Miami image/business standpoint. The rhetoric of playing in a world class stadium is moot & conjecture. If playing in a “world class” stadium was the ticket, then we would see the likes of UGA, UCLA, LSU etc. all forfeit their venues to play at world renown NFL venues that host multiple events outside of football.

It’s already been posted ad nauseam how other programs have used their stadiums as recruiting tools, advantage tools, financial tools, even if they don’t own the stadium they play in being leasing managers.

There’s fantasy and then there’s reality.

The reality is HRS is where we play and will continue to play for the foreseeable future. So why **** on it?

And it’s actually a great place to see a game, you should try it some time. The only thing that ruins it many times is the product on the field but that’s a different topic.

I haven’t been to SOFI but I have been to the AT&T Stadium in Dallas and I can tell you to me there was no difference between the renovated HRS and Jerry’s world. Absolutely none. Comparable amenities, comparable everything.

Or maybe you can tell us what we can do about getting a new stadium. That’s what I’d really like to hear about from the people *****ing about HRS - what’s your plan, what’s your idea?

Advertisement
I have been to the AT&T Stadium in Dallas and I can tell you
I was there when we played LSU. No advantage to LSU in that cavernous stadium.

When we are playing well and have a quality opponent HRS seems like it's our home and not a neutral site.

If we smoke Miami of Ohio next Friday once again there will be evidence of this because we will pack it in for A&M

We keep it competitive and make some big plays early and rest assured the idiot announcers will be all "Gee Whiz its surprisingly loud here what's gotten into these fans?"

It's funny how having a great team can make the stadium experience so much better. For as much love we give the Orange Bowl, before the 80's it was mostly empty for UM games. Then when the team got really good, everyone loved going there. Then when the team started to suck again, nobody went. It's crazy how actually winning games gets people into stadiums.

OB is a travesty. Hard Rock is pretty **** awesome besides the distance. I live in downtown.

University controlling its own stadium would be nice but far from the top issue to fix and nowhere near top of the list in ROI. Let’s get another ring first and maybe we can start the conversation semi-seriously if needed.

Without any reservation I miss the Original Orange Bowl BUT, no one can deny the comfort and access plus parking at the Rock. I was shocked the first time I went to the swamp. Parking there is worse then the Original Orange Bowl . I went there on a relatives player pass. My seat was a lined gap on a bleacher bench that was about a foot wide. In the same row was the Pouncey twins parent and since I was on the end of that row I had about 2 inches to sit on. It was hotter than any stadium I've ever been in since there was zero ocean breeze. The facilities were reminiscent of the Orange Bowl, **** every where. .So when I find can park in a lot, sit in a real seat in the shade at the Rock, use clean facilities, I wonder why all the urgency to leave there. I also think recruits love the idea of playing on an NFL field. Since an on-campus cannot happen I can't see any benefit in moving simply to move.
I wonder what others have experienced at other venues. I haven't been to doak and wonder what others have experienced there? I also wonder if recruits know what there family accommodations will be at other facilities compared to the Rock? Now if we can only start winning like we did in the OOB I'll be very happy!
My main issue with it is there's zero atmosphere. The main selling point on any college stadium is the atmosphere built up around it and in it. They scream college experience for whatever reason. What I always loved about the on was how it literally rocked when that moment came. You could feel the place moving around you. Hard rock I don't think most of our fans understand WE 100% PIPE IN CROWD NOISE. People mention that Notre Dame game in 17 and how loud it was well it's amplified substantially by speakers. Eventually we will have a stadium closer to campus but id say we're still probably 4-6 years away from that goal. It'll work in the meantime.

Advertisement
There were 19,096 students as of fall 2021 and 43% or about 8200 lived on campus. Who should the school cater to more, the 8200 students or the alumni in Broward and Palm Beach who pay full price for tickets and donate to the school?
he sounds like a dude that has never attended UM. he'd know about student attendance if he did. the students dont care. theyre barely there for on campus events such as baseball and hoops and unless its a big game where they can tailgate and party, they're not showing up to the football game either

OB is a travesty. Hard Rock is pretty **** awesome besides the distance. I live in downtown.

University controlling its own stadium would be nice but far from the top issue to fix and nowhere near top of the list in ROI. Let’s get another ring first and maybe we can start the conversation semi-seriously if needed.
I thought fraud man was going to build it. I got yelled at and then guess what. fraud man is a fraud man

Real question bc I don’t know. I’m here in southwest Louisiana. How many more fans would a “on campus” stadium bring honestly? 3k? 5k?

The only part of hard rock I have an issue with is revenue bc I feel we getting hosed on that end.
Without turning this into another land parcel purchase discussion. It would be physically impossible to put a stadium on campus. At least a legit football stadium. Most of the general public has no idea that UM's campus and student body is as small as it is. You've go roughly 11,000 undergrads and only about 8,000 kids live on campus. I understand that at a majority of big colleges the on-campus factor is a big deal. You've got huge undergrad populations and even bigger alumni bases coming back for home games. It's much different for UM football.

Advertisement
There’s fantasy and then there’s reality.

The reality is HRS is where we play and will continue to play for the foreseeable future. So why **** on it?

And it’s actually a great place to see a game, you should try it some time. The only thing that ruins it many times is the product on the field but that’s a different topic.

I haven’t been to SOFI but I have been to the AT&T Stadium in Dallas and I can tell you to me there was no difference between the renovated HRS and Jerry’s world. Absolutely none. Comparable amenities, comparable everything.

Or maybe you can tell us what we can do about getting a new stadium. That’s what I’d really like to hear about from the people *****ing about HRS - what’s your plan, what’s your idea?

1. Did I say anything about obtaining a new stadium?

2. Did I not specifically answer as to y there’s reservation to playing in said stadium?

I said what I said; HRS is closer to a neutral field for a big game vs. a true home field for Miami for everything I listed. For God’s sake man, the grounds crew won’t even change the end zone when they have the Dolphins’ ‘70’s argyle paint.

For the last time, I don’t live in Fl so it’s no never mind where The University plays ball at, but if u’re going to ask why, I’ll tell u why we get negatively recruited for playing there. It’s a place to play ball, nothing more or less. And yes, I know 2017 bro.

Without turning this into another land parcel purchase discussion. It would be physically impossible to put a stadium on campus. At least a legit football stadium. Most of the general public has no idea that UM's campus and student body is as small as it is. You've go roughly 11,000 undergrads and only about 8,000 kids live on campus. I understand that at a majority of big colleges the on-campus factor is a big deal. You've got huge undergrad populations and even bigger alumni bases coming back for home games. It's much different for UM football.
there is also a lot more land to build on at those big schools. if UM had land to build on, they'd likely find a way to put an on campus stadium in there IF CG would allow it (they wont so it doesn't matter anyways).

Put in the category that loves going to games at Hard Rock stadium. I've long since held the opinion that UM Football is a market-based sport and not a campus-based sport, in that the bulk of the support comes from the local community and not the small handful of students from mostly other areas of the country who attend UM for a few years of their lives. Given that, its actually kinda cool that UM uses the best stadium in the south Florida marketplace for its home games.

Maybe UM can convince stadium ownership to put orange or white seatbacks in the stadium so @Rellyrell could feel more at home.
(sorry homey, dont EVER say, "Don't @ me." You know better. :cool: )

For smaller games they probably should have embraced the banners and pushed the crowds into the lower section and facing TV.

They kinda half-assed it at JRS during the Sun Life years. But it was terrible they way they did it.

They originally showed an image of it, below, but it never happened. This would have made way more sense to do at HR than JRS.

111.jpg

222.jpg

Advertisement
Back