Who is a better coach in college baseball than Jim Morris

But when he calls for the bunt, does he expect it to work? Does he expect the player to execute his call?

He expects that there's a higher percentage of scoring a run (and he's right).

When up 5-3 in the 6th or 7th inning you play for one run every time.

Advertisement
Another factor to consider is that Morris, Di Mare and Arteaga are indisputable masters of winning among private schools. Excluding Vanderbilt, no private school has performed as consistently as UM over the past decade. If you remove Morris, can you guarantee that you will find anyone better?

Who would you replace Morris with? Can that person provide the same mastery of the system amidst a scholarship impediment that equals 4.87 elite players per annum.

Di Mare is next, and I think he will win as much as Morris did when Morris first arrived. I do think that Di Mare will not be able to sustain that level for 20+ years. I could be wrong, but I think that Di Mare will become more complacent than the prior two coaches as time elapses. I think that he will be more lackadaisical in regard to NCAA compliance.

Yes i AGREE, Jim Morris is the best collge baseball coach on the planet and the greatest ever. Lol, hee's a pedestrain coach and I'm not impressed by his game management skills and how uses the bunt. From what I can see watching colelge baseball UM does not have the pitching to win this Collge Series. ISN'T HE THE MAN WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR RECRUTING?

You really are a dope. Do you know how to spell or proof read ? Yes he is responsible for recruiting. We are in the CWS for the 2nd year in a row and have a record of 50-12 this season.

They should make a bronze statute of Morris and put it in the entrance of the trailer park that Jagr/Antwan lives in.

Advertisement
Morris will definitely have a statue of himself placed out front. No doubt. He equaled Fraser's accomplishments.

I am hoping that Di Mare is as successful as Morris/Fraser.

But when he calls for the bunt, does he expect it to work? Does he expect the player to execute his call?

When up 5-3 in the 6th or 7th inning you play for one run every time.

I agree. Even though he knows that in a game where getting a hit 35% of the time is a success, he still wants them to execute every time.

Morris will definitely have a statue of himself placed out front. No doubt. He equaled Fraser's accomplishments.

I am hoping that Di Mare is as successful as Morris/Fraser.

We might be in trouble. I agree with your sentiment, though I still credit Fraser with blazing the trail.

This just isn't true. The study is out there. Runs scored per inning DROPS when you go from runner on 1st with no outs to runner on 2nd with one out. Not disputable. Sac bunting from first to second is a mathematically ignorant call. We've known this for a while now.

Advertisement
I understand the concept and percentages. They don't seem to be leaning in our favor this year - especially the past few weeks.

Well we led the ACC in bunts and we won the regular season title.

So unless you have solid numbers stating the obvious it has seemed to work well for us.

We have absolutely taken for granted getting to Omaha. It's not an easy accomplishment in a conference with good teams.

This just isn't true. The study is out there. Runs scored per inning DROPS when you go from runner on 1st with no outs to runner on 2nd with one out.

As usual you're answering a different question. Expected runs scored is lower because you're giving up an out for a base. But in this case we're talking about percentage change of scoring a run.

Again when up 5-3 in the 7th at home in an elimination you should play for the run.

This just isn't true. The study is out there. Runs scored per inning DROPS when you go from runner on 1st with no outs to runner on 2nd with one out.

As usual you're answering a different question. Expected runs scored is lower because you're giving up an out for a base. But in this case we're talking about percentage change of scoring a run.

Again when up 5-3 in the 7th at home in an elimination you should play for the run.

No, you don't get it.

Runner on first, no outs: .88 runs per inning
Runner on second, one out: .69 runs per inning

That is less of a chance of scoring a run no matter how you choose to say it.

Maybe you haven't heard about this sabermetrics thing, but we now know that sac bunting is stupid. You score less. That's why major league teams never sac bunt anymore except with the pitcher. You're so big on odds and probabilities, you have to be able to understand this one.

Advertisement
"But for the most part, the sac bunt has fallen out of favor because teams are too smart to be so dumb. They know that the data says that giving up an out to advance a runner is a very bad idea."

Here is when it is especially stupid to stick with the BUNT ANYTIME ANYWHERE philosophy:

Miami (FL) - Top of 4th
Play Description UM BC
Collins, Z. homered to right field, RBI (1-1). 1 0
Lopez, B. singled to right center (0-1). 1 0
Ruiz, J. grounded out to p, SAC, bunt (2-1); Lopez, B. advanced to second. 1 0

Guy gives up a home run followed by a single, and with our hottest hitter at the plate we decide to just play for one more run in the 4th inning of a 1-0 game. That is not defensible in any way.

Advertisement
No, you don't get it.

It's obvious to everyone that you don't get it.

Once again you are talking about expected runs per inning and I'm talking about percentage chance of scoring a run.

No, you don't get it.

It's obvious to everyone that you don't get it.

Once again you are talking about expected runs per inning and I'm talking about percentage chance of scoring a run.

And the only time it makes sense to only try to score a run is late in a tight game. That's it. Playing for a run in the fourth inning of a 1-0 game as the road team is dumb, odds-defying baseball.

He does not understand statistics. Hockey-gnome is quoting the wrong calculation.

It's all the same. Your scoring chances are reduced when you give up the out. Anyone who follows baseball in 2016 knows this.

Of course, you're the guy who would start Javy Guerra even though Mediavilla would have a full week's rest.

Advertisement
Back