Who is a better coach in college baseball than Jim Morris

Ok I have been following football and basketball recruiting since I can remember and I understand them. I heard something over the weekend in regards to baseball recruiting and us being at a disadvantage being a private school. Can someone please explain? I am lost. Is every school not have the same number of ships per yr/overall like other sports?

Advertisement
Ok I have been following football and basketball recruiting since I can remember and I understand them. I heard something over the weekend in regards to baseball recruiting and us being at a disadvantage being a private school. Can someone please explain? I am lost. Is every school not have the same number of ships per yr/overall like other sports?

College baseball only has 11.7 scholarships so many players either pay their own way or use academic scholarships. Therefore public schools that have lower tuition (much lower in most cases) and state-funded scholarships can supplement their rosters in more ways than a school like Miami can.

College baseball only has 11.7 scholarships so many players either pay their own way or use academic scholarships. Therefore public schools that have lower tuition (much lower in most cases) and state-funded scholarships can supplement their rosters in more ways than a school like Miami can.

Ok thanks! That makes sense and sucks for private schools.

Tuition at UF is $8,954 and at FSU tuition is $9,280. Miami's tuition is $44,400. The NCAA allows 11.7 scholarships for 25 players, so if one subtracts the 25 from the 11.7, one can deduce how much more a player has to pay in order to play at Miami.

A player at UF will have to pay $4,764 per year to play at UF. A player at FSU will be out-of-pocket: $4,937. If a player chooses to play at Miami, they will have to come up with $23,620.80 per year, which is almost 5x more than what they would have to pay to attend the state schools.

The other big disadvantage is Bright Futures. If you have a B average and a state university accepts you, the state of Florida picks up your entire tuition.

These two reasons are why I provide Morris with so much leeway.

Tuition at UF is $8,954 and at FSU tuition is $9,280. Miami's tuition is $44,400. The NCAA allows 11.7 scholarships for 25 players, so if one subtracts the 25 from the 11.7, one can deduce how much more a player has to pay in order to play at Miami.

A player at UF will have to pay $4,764 per year to play at UF. A player at FSU will be out-of-pocket: $4,937. If a player chooses to play at Miami, they will have to come up with $23,620.80 per year, which is almost 5x more than what they would have to pay to attend the state schools.

The other big disadvantage is Bright Futures. If you have a B average and a state university accepts you, the state of Florida picks up your entire tuition.

Bright Futures isn't what it was My son was an A student a 100% Bright Futures and that only picked up about 50% of tuition. Governor Scott has cut Bright Futures to almost nothing as every year it was lower.

Advertisement
If that is the case, then FSU's and UF's main advantage is having 4.87 more scholarships than Miami.

When these mules say "no championship in 15-years", my response is: "level the playing field, so that Morris has as many scholarships as the state schools." The NCAA allowed 19 scholarships during the 70s and then reduced them to 15. In the end, this hurts the kids that have to settle for a state school in the woods rather than a private school in a thriving metropolitan area.

Yes i AGREE, Jim Morris is the best collge baseball coach on the planet and the greatest ever. Lol, hee's a pedestrain coach and I'm not impressed by his game management skills and how uses the bunt. From what I can see watching colelge baseball UM does not have the pitching to win this Collge Series. ISN'T HE THE MAN WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR RECRUTING?

If that is the case, then FSU's and UF's main advantage is having 4.87 more scholarships than Miami.

When these mules say "no championship in 15-years", my response is: "level the playing field, so that Morris has as many scholarships as the state schools." The NCAA allowed 19 scholarships during the 70s and then reduced them to 15. In the end, this hurts the kids that have to settle for a state school in the woods rather than a private school in a thriving metropolitan area.

It must be nice having a built in excuse for not winning championships. Ron Fraser would be so proud of a fan like you.

Bright Futures isn't what it was My son was an A student a 100% Bright Futures and that only picked up about 50% of tuition. Governor Scott has cut Bright Futures to almost nothing as every year it was lower.

Bright Futures mostly goes by ACT/SAT scores. When I graduated, there were 3 levels. The highest covered 100% tuition, the 2nd covered 75%, and 3rd covered 50%, for state schools. It was something like 50/25/15 for private schools. Also the minimum scores have been raised since I graduated.
Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
It must be nice having a built in excuse for not winning championships. Ron Fraser would be so proud of a fan like you.

So a coach with the same number of championships and a worse postseason record would frown upon standards of Jim Morris' program?

Ron Fraser won 2 championships as has Morris. Ron Fraser was afforded 19 scholarships until the early 80s, and the NCAA then reduced this to 15. The NCAA then reduced scholarships to 13 in the mid-to-late 80s and settled on 11.7 in 1990. When Morris started at Miami, scholarships were down to 11.7. Between 1971 and 1992, Fraser made 12 Omaha trips (54.5% of the time). Fraser had a 74.4% winning percentage. Morris has made 13 trips to Omaha in 23 years (56.5% of the time). Morris has a 71.2% winning percentage.

Facts show that both coaches are statistically equal. Actually, when one uses statistical significance, these two coaches are equal up to the 99th percentile. Morris operated under less scholarships.

These facts delineate why I question your intelligence.

If you want further education, read the articles below.

Stretching Scholarship Dollars Key To College Success - BaseballAmerica.com

https://www.youthletic.com/articles/why-117-is-a-terrible-number-for-college-baseball-scholarships/

Larry Coker has more national titles than Butch . . . Ill let you start the bring back Larry campaign.

And right now if Mark Richt comes in and wins 10 games a season for the next 5 years it will be an upgrade over the past decade. But guess what, Ill take improvement, but Im going to need a title. That is why he was fired at UGA by the way.

That is what you and the other apologist just don't get. JM is a hall of fame coach that hasn't won a title in 15 years. Period. No doubt he has a standard of excellence, he simply isn't getting that gold standard any more. If he wanted to have 15 wonderful years with no titles he could've worked at GT. LOL.

Advertisement
Morris gets to Omaha at a BETTER rate than Fraser. Morris is one of 7 coaches that has won 2 titles. Fraser did not win a title at Miami during his last 8-years and he could field at least 2 more "Collins/Abreus" than Morris can at present.

Between 1971 and 1992, Fraser made 12 Omaha trips (54.5% of the time). Morris has made 13 trips to Omaha in 23 years (56.5% of the time).

I know that you are never going to agree, but at least employ some numerical logic, or cogent analysis.

Morris has made 13 trips to Omaha in 23 years (56.5% of the time).

Once again, you people are using the late 90's as though it is present day. 13-of-23 looks good until you search a little deeper and then see 2-of-8. Morris is also responsible for losing two home regionals in the last five years as well as the fact that we have to use a patchwork bullpen method in the third game of a series.

Advertisement
That is what you and the other apologist just don't get. JM is a hall of fame coach that hasn't won a title in 15 years. Period. No doubt he has a standard of excellence, he simply isn't getting that gold standard any more. If he wanted to have 15 wonderful years with no titles he could've worked at GT. LOL.

There's a helluva lot that you don't get.

If you fire someone you need to a have reasonable expectation that you will hire somebody better.

You goons just run your mouths that somebody needs to go and then you just assume that it will magically get better.

But it could be worse. And the likelihood is that it would be worse than 50 wins and CWS appearances.

13-of-23 looks good until you search a little deeper and then see 2-of-8.

About 24 hours ago it was 1-of-7.

And that's the point.

The last two have been the last two.

You still want to push him out for 2012.

It's incredible.

Last edited:
Morris is also responsible for losing two home regionals in the last five years as well as the fact that we have to use a patchwork bullpen method in the third game of a series.

He's even responsible for things he can't control which is why it's a big job.

But rational people can understand that it's his responsibility and not his fault.

You can't seem to do that.

Advertisement
Back