What happens if we lose to Boston College??

I'd be shocked if we lose that game. If we do? I would feel extremely disappointed just how i felt after the maryland game last season. It is a must win game. Way too many Golden doubters out there which is understandable since his efforts have not translated to wins on the field YET. It's coming fellas
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Miami fans believe in Golden and recognize that this season is a rebuilding year. At least the more rational fans feel that way, plus Golden just signed a big extension so he's not going anywhere no matter how much it upsets Miami Nites and Omar Kelly.

Advertisement
I'm not into moral victories. That said, if we were to lose, how it happens is much more important that the actual loss. The players are still maturing and learning the system. If they play sloppy, turn the ball over and play dumb, I will be concerned. If they ball out and still happen to lose, oh well. We can burn that bridge when we get to it. ;-)

Dynasty said:
Historically we've struggle playing at Chestnut Hill. If we lose this game the doubt birds will be out in full effect. There will be questions surrounding Golden's coaching ability, etc.

Your dannyboy ****ing cane aren't u? Don't even try to deny it. That's a dbc statement all day.

Dynasty is one of the most knowledgeable and veteran posters on any Canes board.

more of how it was worded than what was said. Going up to chestnut hill, etc...

I was hammered when I posted that anyway lol

Historically, we have struggled when playing at Chestnut Hill. That is a factual statement. We've taken two national championship teams into that place and both games went to the wire.

As Larry correctly pointed out, Miami has played at Chestnut Hill ten times and won seven. And of those seven wins, four have been by seven points or less. But let’s take a closer look at the numbers.

In ’01 UM held a 12-7 lead late in the fourth quarter. BC was driving when Mike Rumph broke on a slant route. After the ball hit his knee, Matt Walters made a hustling interception. Ed Reed literally took the ball from Walters and returned it for a TD to seal the victory. You’ll do remember the BC crowd chanting OVERRATED?? I think this game can be classified as a “struggle” game even though we won by more than seven points.

After being down 28-0 at the half, Kenny Kelly and the UM defense staged a comeback for the ages in ’99. Miami walked out of Chestnut Hill with a 31-28 victory. This too would classify as a “struggle” game.

Who can forget the shootout in 1997? EJames and the offense was on fire, but the defense didn’t come to play giving up big plays and sustain drives all freaking day. That probationary UM team showed heart to ink out a 45-44 win. Can you guys say “struggle”?

First year head coach Butch Davis strolled into Chestnut Hill in 1995 with an experience squad. When everything was said and done, the final scoreboard read 17-14 UM.

In ’91 the Canes where coming off an interstate high after going into Doak Campbell Stadium and knocking off the number one ranked Seminoles. The then number one ranked Canes ran into a buzz saw at Chestnut Hill. After Stephen McGuire went down with an early knee injury, the Canes “struggled” to hold off the Eagles. Another outstanding effort by MBarrow and the defense saved UM’s championship season. Final score: UM 19 BC 14

1. 2007 UM: 14 BC: 28
2. 2003 UM: 33 BC: 14
3. 2001 UM: 18 BC: 7
4. 1999 UM: 31 BC: 28
5. 1997 UM: 45 BC: 44
6. 1995 UM: 17 BC: 14
7. 1993 UM: 23 BC: 7
8. 1991 UM: 19 BC: 14
9. 1975 UM: 7 BC: 21
10. 1958 UM: 2 BC: 6

No mater what this is a rebuilding year... We lost all our playmakers and its premature to think every single freshmen will replace their production... This is where disappointment sets in... Our fanbase has dogged the players that have moved on and are hoping that the young players can replace them... This is unrealistic... Even Golden alluded to with his "less talent, but tougher" statement, that this will be a rebuilding year... We lost some talented guys but if this squad shows progress throughout the season then we'll be fine... That being said, I dont want to see us lose to BC...

Advertisement
I do not think we lose. If we lose then we just need to prepare harder for ksu two weeks later.

Dynasty, I feel confident that when Miami approached the BC games, the team almost discounted the BC team as an automatic win as they were looking forward (and backward) to other opponents. I saw Miami do this so many times it just burned my butt!

They'd beat 'greatest football team in history' opponents, but would barely be able to squeak by 'easy' opponents who couldn't win five games a year. I seem to recall Syracuse giving us fits as well.

I'm hoping that Golden can keep them on point. Focused on this one opponent. Winning this ONE game. Every week.

barely any injuries how does this first game compare to maryland last year. BC loses Ball and Kuchkley this year.. we fielded a deflated and deplieted defense last year vs. a younger one this year. For the first game of the year I expect a W
injuries don't count right now mane....got camp coming up. holla at me after camp

Advertisement
What part of this **** you guys don't understand.... THE GREATEST TEAM IN CANES HISTORY ALMOST GOT THEY **** PUSHED IN BY BC....

If we lose to BC... we go 6-6 or 5 -7 and AG is on the hot seat...

What part of this **** you guys don't understand.... THE GREATEST TEAM IN CANES HISTORY ALMOST GOT THEY **** PUSHED IN BY BC....

If we lose to BC... we go 6-6 or 5 -7 and AG is on the hot seat...

LMFAO i'm sure Alabama fans were saying the say thing about Saban... SMH

Dynasty, I feel confident that when Miami approached the BC games, the team almost discounted the BC team as an automatic win as they were looking forward (and backward) to other opponents. I saw Miami do this so many times it just burned my butt!

They'd beat 'greatest football team in history' opponents, but would barely be able to squeak by 'easy' opponents who couldn't win five games a year. I seem to recall Syracuse giving us fits as well.

I'm hoping that Golden can keep them on point. Focused on this one opponent. Winning this ONE game. Every week.

I don’t disagree with you regarding the Canes occasionally playing down to their competition. Honestly, I think that is understandable because we aren’t always going to be on our game each and every week. I can remember during the JJ era Miami struggling to beat a sorry Toledo team in ’87. During the Erickson era, Miami struggled all day in the Orange Bowl to beat a mediocre Arizona squad by one point. I will agree that we often look ahead to big time games. However, the one time I actually thought we handle business in a major way was during the ’87 season when we went into Fayetteville and administered an old fashion thrashing on a decent piggy squad before heading to Doak Campbell for the showdown in hoe town. The Arkansas beat down showed an amped up Canes team focused on the task at hand, and after knocking off fSu the following week we took care of business by convincingly spanking the turtles the next week.

Syracuse had its moments. In games we were favorites, however, the Orangemen took us to the wire once and that was in ’92. We won that game by 6 points, but it was a tough, tough win in the dome. Sure, they did us in ’98, but they were favorites going into that game. The remaining games during that era in which we were favorites, we handled them pretty well, IIRC.

As far as the Boston College games you may be correct. For whatever reason, it seems as though we just flat struggle up there. Out of the ten trips to that place we’ve only put foot to *** twice. I don’t know but it appears that we’ve been trending on something other than looking ahead or behind. I hope we smash that *** this year, but I’m not counting on it. I’m expecting it to be a typical Miami at Boston College football game. The type of game we struggle to get a tough, hard-fought win at a place I consider a snake pit.

As it pertains to coach Golden, I really believe he can turn this program around, but it is going to take time. I think we’re looking at roughly four years before he is able to field a national championship caliber team. Imo, it isn’t just about the starting 22, but more importantly it is about building quality depth. The kind of depth where there is very little drop off. I tend to focus on the play of special teams, particularly kickoff and punt units, as those units are usually the first place where you can see developing depth and future playmakers emerge. I’ve always said that UM will return to glory when its defense leads the way. We aren’t there yet. So, until that time, I’m hopeful the fans will show patience because we’re likely to face some crucial moments moving forward, especially this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back