What happened to FSU?

Fundamentally I believe it was overestimating the OL. Maybe it was because they played against an overrated DL in practice. I believe Norvell really thought they would be able to run the ball. Hence the DJU pick-up. He didn't think they were going to need to lean on the QB. Just needed someone to have the ability to play action and throw the long ball if the defense sold out vs the run.

He was just sooooo very wrong and has too many average players to make up the difference.

Advertisement
frank underwood netflix GIF by House of Cards

I expected a drop off this year especially with DJ behind center but no one could’ve predicted this debacle. They have the athletes, have they just given up? Is this a culture thing? Their talent is much better than their record. They should have been able to win with running the ball and their defense alone. Us and UF are the only games they have left to save their seasons so I expect them to come out fired up.
I don't believe their talent is better than their record.
20240901_024111.jpg

Advertisement
the portal guys he hit on he had for 2 years and those was the 2 good seasons. Look at norvell 3 years without those guys and they aren’t even a .500 team. He doesn’t recruit hs good enough and the portal guys he got this year are cheeks

Travis saved him. He made that whole offense go. Keon is good. But guys like Wilson, the TE transfer from SC, the OL, and even the backs to an extent all benefitted from his scrambling and extending plays.

Its almost the same on Defense. Verse was so good that it opened up everything else and allowed guys to be aggressive.

If you could argue last year was a complete anomaly and what we are seeing now may be more of the norm.

They only beat us by 7 last year with that “championship” team and us starting a true freshman QB. Not saying we could have come back and tied the game late, but we had the ball late in the 4th and were driving until Emery gets hurt.

Advertisement
Masked in the 13-0 start was the fact that FSU was very average offensively last year and that was with Jordan Travis and all the skill talent that isn’t there anymore. The media hyped up their offensive line and the general line of thinking was that they would lean on their run game and take deep play action shots with DJ, similar to what Oregon State did last year. But their line is terrible and they don’t have anyone near Damian Martinez in the backfield. I have to seriously question their staff’s ability to even evaluate their own roster. They had to know the line was cheeks after seeing them every day in practice. Yet they still built the offense around having a top tier line.

The best part is, or worst part for them, they haven’t recruited well enough to turn it around. It’s not a matter of them having a young roster full of blue chip recruits who just aren’t ready to play. They just have a bunch of guys who aren’t any good. They need to go heavy into the portal (again) but the competition for portal players is much tougher these days so they’re not going to be able to grab a ton of impact transfers. They just have to hope to develop a bunch of mid players and try to be semi competitive with them long enough to be able to buy out Norvell in a few years.

He scripts the first 15 plays and does good at that. Other than that average coach. And the good news is they are stuck with him for two more years.

Speaking of scripting, look for several misdirection plays. If we can somehow survive that, we will get up quickly and stay up.

Advertisement
I think you are highly over estimating their talent level. I've hate watched a lot of their games this year and they lack talent all over. Their offense is so, so bad. The WRs can't catch or block. No TEs. No OL worth a ****. It's a beautiful thing watch. They are what I think many on this board thought UF would (and still may) be.

I expected a drop off this year especially with DJ behind center but no one could’ve predicted this debacle. They have the athletes, have they just given up? Is this a culture thing? Their talent is much better than their record. They should have been able to win with running the ball and their defense alone. Us and UF are the only games they have left to save their seasons so I expect them to come out fired up.
Well, essentially, since they got snubbed, they decided they wanted to make a statement and do something for the record books

So they spun the wheel of misfortune and chose to do the biggest one season swing in winning percentage in the history of college football from 13-0 in the regular season to perhaps just one and 11

Advertisement
They only beat us by 7 last year with that “championship” team and us starting a true freshman QB. Not saying we could have come back and tied the game late, but we had the ball late in the 4th and were driving until Emery gets hurt.
I'll say it. We had momentum and were driving. Emory was in a rhythm and we absolutely would have scored.

How that would have played out after that is where the questions lie, IMO.

That's the thing, their talent isn't better then their record. I've watched FSU vs Ga Tech, BC, Memphis, California, SMU, Clemson and Duke. They are what their record shows and that's a horrible team. They have no WRs, TEs and their O line is awful. The RBs are the best part of their offense and they're average at best. Lastly, they have no QB. Brock Glenn or DJU, take ur pick cause they are the worst QBs in the ACC. Defense isn't bad but when they played against SMU and Clemson, they were bad. There's not much difference between FSU and Stanford right now. They do have great kickers
The one thing I noticed in watching their games was the lack of effort by FSU players.

Who cares…time for us to put up or shut up. I do not want some minor victory. We need to DOMINATE THEM on both sides no mercy at all. This is the next step for our return.

Advertisement
Back