What am I missing?

fraggle

Senile Senior
I look at our RB room and see Fletcher average 6 yards per carry, Lyle 7.2, Allen 8.4, Johnson 5.2, Wheatley-Humphrey 7 and Martinez 4.4 and wonder why Martinez has almost twice as many carries as the other RB's. I am disappointed to see our main ball carrier only has 292 yards halfway through the season. Is Martinez that much better at blocking to jusitfy him carrying the load? We have Home Run hitters sitting on the bench, Lyle has the only real breakaway TD run of 91 yards. We know how good Fletcher is based on his performance last year against Clemson and Lyle has been a pleasant surprise and we know Johnson is super fast, so what am I missing?

Is one of these on our bench?

Advertisement
I held out hope for weeks that Martinez would break out, but he simply lacks burst, urgency, and overall just looks uncomfortable running from the shotgun formation.

Why should Martinez not be our 4th running back?

Advertisement
I get the sense coaches are still trying to ease Mark Fletcher back in after last year's bowl game foot injury and that they don't want him shouldering the load.

I think the hope is that Martinez can help bulldoze teams in the first half—with dashes of Fletcher here and there—while opposing defense are worn down for more Fletcher, Allen and Lyle later in the game.

Hasn't been the case the past two weeks when playing late catch-up, but feels like that's the plan. Would also expect more Fletcher in the second half of the season.

Remember all the off-season rumors about the nagging foot injury and talk that Fletcher either wouldn't play this season, or wouldn't be available to later in the year—but he was back for the Florida game.

Even ahead of schedule, foot injuries can nag or be re-aggravated; really think it's a matter of coaches not wanting him to do too much at this rate.

Also, weight-wise he doesn't look like the formidable force he was last fall—looks like he still needs to put on some weight after where he was at last season.

I look at our RB room and see Fletcher average 6 yards per carry, Lyle 7.2, Allen 8.4, Johnson 5.2, Wheatley-Humphrey 7 and Martinez 4.4 and wonder why Martinez has almost twice as many carries as the other RB's. I am disappointed to see our main ball carrier only has 292 yards halfway through the season. Is Martinez that much better at blocking to jusitfy him carrying the load? We have Home Run hitters sitting on the bench, Lyle has the only real breakaway TD run of 91 yards. We know how good Fletcher is based on his performance last year against Clemson and Lyle has been a pleasant surprise and we know Johnson is super fast, so what am I missing?

Is one of these on our bench?
Ajay had a 56-yard TD run against Ball State, and also a 36-yard run on that same drive. Not 91-yards like Lyle, but still showed breakaway speed.

I was kinda hoping Lyle would play his way into more touches by now. Wonder if it's a blocking/playbook thing with him.

CJ is speed, but currently a one-screen pony. Would love to see him in the slot running 9s and clearing out space, but first he has to be perceived as a threat.

I still hold out hope that as teams start scheming more for Cam's arm, some of these running lanes are gonna open up. Getting Rivers back is not nothing either.

Advertisement
note that he does have 10 catches for 130 yards so far.

I do think the adjustment from single back to Shotgun has been a bigger adjustment that we imagined it to be.

I would also say let's see how he plays 2nd half of season with Rivers back at LT. His biggest gain vs. Florida was when he ran behind Rivers at LT.

Fraggles function is to take the collective opinions of the board and measure the ridicule to determine if it is main stream or not for podcast and other content. A fun house mirror reflected back at us.

The lack of GIFs and memes indicate that there's something to this.

Fletcher is the best back on the team.

Personally I love the way we've run our guys, with my only issue being that I want Fletcher to get more carries in general. But I like how we've used all of them. But the good thing aobut stats is that you can spin them however you want:

- Allen has almost all his yards in one game and mostly one carry vs Ball State where he went 7 for 104 yards.
- Jordan Lyle got all his yards also vs Ball State and USF where we won by like a combined 100pts. In the last two he has 4 carries for 6 yards.
- Damien got 3 carries vs Ball State where everyone padded their stats cause they were terrible. His most carries are against Cal and Vtech. He also has 130 yards receiving which count and he is good blocking which is important in our sytem.

Overall, i think we've done a good job keeping them all engaged. I want Flectcher to run more but also, every time i see Allen I like him also. But Martinez runs tough, doesn't fumble and he catches the ball well. Glad we got different guys to go to.

1. Martinez is a 2x first team all Pac-12 RB that didn't just forget how to play the position
2. He's getting paid a lot of NIL
3. He arrived over the summer and clearly isn't in sync with the scheme, OL, whatever it is

All of these things can be true at the same time

Advertisement
Advertisement
1. Martinez is a 2x first team all Pac-12 RB that didn't just forget how to play the position
2. He's getting paid a lot of NIL
3. He arrived over the summer and clearly isn't in sync with the scheme, OL, whatever it is

All of these things can be true at the same time
Great points & would also add that in between splitting time, not playing in blow out wins, being down in games to where the offense turns to passing doesn't generally lead to a ton of stats... not saying he passes the eye test vs a fletcher,etc... but i do think there some points to hard to get into any part of a rhythm when he gets the ball sporadically vs what he's used too.

Seems like a better plan would be to use your more explosive backs earlier, then pound them with Martinez late.

The real question is how many of these guys hit the portal. Room is too crowded with good talent.

Advertisement
Back