Was Lamar Miller a Homerun?

I think some of you may be letting NFL accomplishments could what some of those mentioned in the OP accomplished at UM. Millers 1272 yards this past year is more than Gore or Portis ever got in a single season, on better teams.

Advertisement
Miller is our first running back DRAFTED since Frank Gore in 05... so I would guess that he will turn out all right considering 3 the last 4 Miami running backs drafted were probowlers at one time or another.

Miller '12 Draft
Gore '05 Draft 3x Probowler
McGahee '03 Draft 2x Probowler
Portis '02 Draft 2x Probowler
Davenport '02 Draft - Zero Probowls

Najeh Davenport drafted in 4th rd of 2002 draft was only RB not to make the pro bowl

I think some of you may be letting NFL accomplishments could what some of those mentioned in the OP accomplished at UM. Millers 1272 yards this past year is more than Gore or Portis ever got in a single season, on better teams.

To me, that's the big issue. We only had one good year of Miller...

And to make things clear, this is who I have as the "home runs" or UM RBs:
Anderson, Bratton, Edge, Portis, McGahee

And then we have a TON of RBs that fall just under that category:
Highsmith, Conley, James Jackson, Gore, Miller, etc.

Advertisement
To answer the OPs question, no, he's not a homerun. He needed to stay another year (healthy), be the focus of the O, and produce more. And BTW, he's nowhere near the top of the list.

Im not sure I understand the OP's use of the term "home run." The traditional use of that term is the way MiamiNites is using it. ie: A "homerun threat," as in he can take any carry to the house.

Another acceptable yet lessor used definition of homerun is a "cant miss" type of player. I dont think Gore or McGahee were cant miss picks at the time they were drafted. They ended up being home run picks but that was only as a result of their NFL production. This seems to be what the OP is refering to. In that case, I dont think we can know if Lamar will have a homerun type NFL career.

All of this said, I see Lamar Miller being a step behind Portis, Gore and McGahee. Gore went 3rd round after two knee surgeries. Miller went 4th round while healthy. That's more of a sign of market value, but there's reality built into that.

i don't post much, i just like to read and see what people have to say.
Lammar busts a 50,60,70 yarder once in game or once every two games, that's what you see in career stats. if that's what you are looking at and you he's good player because of it then that's your opinion. to me that's not a good player ,that's an average player.
that's on o-line not really on the Lammar.

i'm looking at the 3rd and 4, 3rd and 5 situation. can Lammar set tacklers up and juke them, can he run through them, can he make one ,two ,or three miss, can he make them break your ankles types of cut.
good players or great players make alot of wow plays, you see a play run, he's surrounded and you think he's gonna get stopped but instead he squeezed out, you're like how the **** did he get outta that.

i didn't see any of that, from Lammar. more often than not i see him slowing down to make a cut or he would try to outrun the defense to make them miss (won't be able to do that in the NFL ). he doesn't make the defense pay for trying to tackle him.
sorry guys, to me Lammar is just average. i hope i'm wrong

of course this is what i see, maybe my "46" inch flat ain't seeing what everyone else is seeing

i HOPE Lammar isn't one of those big time college runningbacks, those heisman trophy winning runningbacks to bust in the NFL

4th round draft pick. McGahee and Gore got picked one and 3 rounds ahead of him and neither of them could even walk at the time.

Nice player. Not in the class of those other guys. But his destiny is in his hands. He can go out and work hard and have a great NFL career and create his future legacy.

You're projecting based on where he went as a pro.

In terms of what he did at Miami, he outshined Gore, imho. Not in the class of the others, however.

Gore had the most potential of any, just had some bad luck with the ACL's.

Last edited:
Advertisement
4* player...4* collegiate result.

Pretty much.

I think he could have really come into his own with another year in school, but can't argue with his decision to come out.

I didn't realize just how similar his stats were to Gore's. That's amazing.

If the question is "Was he a homerun threat?," then it's a non-issue. Of course he was. If it's some vague question about his value as a recruit or a player, then it's a lame question. I'll assume OP meant the former.

Nites had it spot on. Yikes.

Advertisement
If the question is "Was he a homerun threat?," then it's a non-issue. Of course he was. If it's some vague question about his value as a recruit or a player, then it's a lame question. I'll assume OP meant the former.

Nites had it spot on. Yikes.

+1

Longevity has to be a factor in this. Both in the durability and commitment sense. So in that case, no he was not. He was an outstanding talent and a great recruiting score.

Advertisement
IMO, he was better than Gore at Miami. Gore had an excuse, but still.

His NFL career will affect how he is remembered.

Almost exact statistically

Gore 1975 yards 5.7 ypc 17 TDs
Miller 1918 yards 5.7 ypc 15 TDs

To me millers stats are more impressive that he did that on some pretty ****** teams . I think edge is the only back that you could argue was on teams with close to the level of talent .

I'm just as shocked as you all that a woman made a nonsensical remark about football.

Advertisement
Back