Rumor Warren Ruggiero?

Advertisement
Whoever Ruggiero would bring with him to coach WR needs to be able to recruit. Its a pretty **** important attribute after Gattis misses. Unless of course Mario convinces someone like James Coley to come over as WR coach.

But that would be its own issue. We just went through that type of thing with Ponce being a Mario guy, not a Gattis guy (as if it would've mattered). We don't need to go through that nonsense again. OC needs his own guy.

I think it may not be so much of a factor if the OC also coaches QBs. We had a situation where the OC coached WRS and we had a QB coach that wasn't meshing well between the OC and QBs. And that could have been more an issue with the OC who apparently is not easy to get along with.

More important the OC is also a QB guy which would be the case with Ruggiero.

Someone post up the cats flight tracker and see what Lear Jet he's on on his way to So FLA. Do it now!!

Some will not be happy unless Mario switches to an Air Raid philosophy.

Or hires Joe Brady, despite Miami not having close to the talent L$U had in 2019.

And if Ruggiero is the next OC and will start out 2023 season slow, not 40something pts a game the pitch forks and bad nicknames will spring into CIS. I am about to trademark "Slow Mess offense".

Advertisement
I prefer a quick hitting rpo like what Briles does off the dart play, but this could work.

Seems like this system requires a stout interior line and quarterback with poise and patience.

Is the UCF center the real deal? If he is, with Rivers and Cohen, we should be solid. I think TVD and Jake could run this.

My question is Jacurri. If he can improve his accuracy, this kid has massive upside. The thing I love most about him is his poise. We put him in some tough situation, but he never looked like the moment was to big. Does this system give him a shot to showcase his talent if he can get up around a 60% passer?

I prefer a quick hitting rpo like what Briles does off the dart play, but this could work.

Seems like this system requires a stout interior line and quarterback with poise and patience.

Is the UCF center the real deal? If he is, with Rivers and Cohen, we should be solid. I think TVD and Jake could run this.

My question is Jacurri. If he can improve his accuracy, this kid has massive upside. The thing I love most about him is his poise. We put him in some tough situation, but he never looked like the moment was to big. Does this system give him a shot to showcase his talent if he can get up around a 60% passer?
The UCF Center is absolutely the real deal, and was a Great get.

What’s the story behind this leak?

Recommended read (paywall)

This is a recap, basically

Advertisement
Ruggiero would be a great hire if we had WR talent. We don’t though.

With all due respect, this argument is nonsensical.

Here's the leading receivers at Wake Forest each year since 2017:

YearLeading ReceiverRec YardsRecruit RatingRecruit Year
2022A.T. Perry10960.83712018
2021A.T. Perry12930.83712018
2020Jaquarii Roberson9260.832017
2019Sage Surratt10010.83722017
2018Greg Dortch10780.79372016
2017Scotty Washington7110.854420152

A 2-star recruit, 3 low 3-star recruits, and 1 mid-level 3 star (Scotty Washington). They have far less "talent" and yet somehow managed 35+ PPG in our conference. These are recruits we wouldn't even consider. Yet, somehow, they got developed at Wake and put up more points in every year since 2017 than Miami has.

Ruggiero is a take. Hands down.

What’s the story behind this leak?

Color commentator, who was a former coach let go when clawson was hired, was stealing playbook each week and giving them to opponents out of spite. They figured it out when they found a copy of the playbook in the trash can of the stadium they were practicing in for the bowl. It had plays they had just drawn up that week in it.

Last edited:
Some will not be happy unless Mario switches to an Air Raid philosophy.

Or hires Joe Brady, despite Miami not having close to the talent L$U had in 2019.

Everyone knows that the correct answers are:

QB Coach - Lane Kiffin
WR Coach - Brian Hartline
OC - the reanimated corpse of Mike Leach

And if Ruggiero is the next OC and will start out 2023 season slow, not 40something pts a game the pitch forks and bad nicknames will spring into CIS. I am about to trademark "Slow Mess offense".

If you actually look at Wake's numbers the year this was implemented, they averaged 34 PPG. Not bad for the first year.

Advertisement

A 2-star recruit, 3 low 3-star recruits, and 1 mid-level 3 star (Scotty Washington). They have far less "talent" and yet somehow managed 35+ PPG in our conference. These are recruits we wouldn't even consider. Yet, somehow, they got developed at Wake and put up more points in every year since 2017 than Miami has.

Go argue with a wall. You’re talkimg about a guy who’s wanted him for years and was probably the first guy to bring him on this board going all the way back to Manny‘s search.

PS There’s 4 NFL guys on that list you posted.

Go argue with a wall. You’re talkimg about a guy who’s wanted him for years and was probably the first guy to bring him on this board going all the way back to Manny‘s search.

PS There’s 4 NFL guys on that list you posted.
I'm not "arguing" with you. I was responding to your post in which you stated that he'd "be a great hire if we had WR talent. Which we don't."

My point is simply that he had "less talent" than we currently do. The fact that 4 are now in the NFL further bolsters my point that he made the most of their talent (or lack thereof) AND developed it - something our current and former staffs have not done.

So there shouldn't be a prerequisite for us to have "more talent" or else it isn't a good hire. He's done more with less before.

Advertisement

These are inconvenient truths for the "We don't have any talent to put up points" crowd. I've been crowing about player development and coaching since Grassy.

We need him or someone like him who can come in and coach these players up. With the possible exception of some transfers, I think nearly all of our WR's are 4*'s or higher. We have plenty of speed and athleticism in our WR room as it currently sits. What we haven't had is proper coaching and accountability for a looooooooooooooooong time.

These are inconvenient truths for the "We don't have any talent to put up points" crowd. I've been crowing about player development and coaching since Grassy.

We need him or someone like him who can come in and coach these players up. With the possible exception of some transfers, I think nearly all of our WR's are 4*'s or higher. We have plenty of speed and athleticism in our WR room as it currently sits. What we haven't had is proper coaching and accountability for a looooooooooooooooong time.

Our "lowest rated" WR - Colbie Young at .8417 is still higher than all of their "highest rated" except one. Are some of our receivers 'overrated'? Absolutely. But you cannot tell me that Clawson / Ruggiero wouldn't have done as well with our receivers as they did with theirs.

But it comes down to the things you pointed out that we've been lacking: development, accountability, and scheme. Hopefully we get it right soon.

When has Miami EVER had a good OC? Granted I missed the glory years of the 80’s but I’ve followed since about 1999 and even that all time great 2001 team had Larry ******* Coker as OC.

You could make the argument that the best X’s and O’s guy we’ve ever had at OC is Rhett Lashlee.

DC is another story. We’ve had some beast coordinators there, and even though I missed the 80’s, I know who guys like Sonny Lubick are.

Advertisement
Back