Rumor Warren Ruggiero?

I wouldn't be mad at the hire but they run a system like that at Wake because they can't build an offensive line the way higher end programs can. Mario's strength will be building an offensive line that can compete with anyone in the country. Not sure why you would bring in a system that doesn't highlight Mario's strength. Should be looking at a power spread offense IMO.

Pretty much agree...

Here's a crazy thought...do we think an OC can come to Miami...and teach RPO with a SLIGHTLY FASTER HANDOFF to a QB who was running RPO pretty successfully a year ago?

Gosh, I can dream, can't I...

Advertisement
I'd be very pleased with this hire but it's unlikely IMHO.

Maybe someone could rectify but Wake offense doesn’t put much emphasis on the running game. I remember that Kenneth Walker transferred to Michigan State for this reason.

I think it’s a non-starter with Mario, it will be the equivalent of him hiring Hal Mumme.

View attachment 225267
They ran slightly more than they passed. Some of their passing is an extension of their running.

I can't grasp the 'knee-jerk' anti-Ruggiero crowd on this board who will simultaneously put Mullen on a pedestal. Ruggiero would easily be the best OC hire of the last 20 years and would rival Mullen imo based on actual production. Here are their PPG figures compared since 2017 (with Miami's and Oregon's thrown in for good measure):

MullenRuggieroMiamiOregon

And Ruggiero has done all of this in OUR CONFERENCE (as you rightly pointed out) but with recruiting classes that were ranked in the 60s! Give me a guy that can put up 35PPG in a P5 Conference with inferior talent every day of the week.

And for those arguing that it took him 4 years to "figure it out" - Good! He cut his teeth elsewhere and has since, figured it out. He isn't going to suddenly regress into a neanderthal.
The funny thing about people complaining about it taking 4 years to figure it out, was that was in 2017. That was his first year they scored over 30ppg (35ppg to be exact that year), and they haven’t scored less than 30 points per game since! Lol he also did it was 3 different QBs!

Advertisement
What did he run in his last two stops before Wake, and what are the numbers?
He was Clawson's OC at Bowling Green. They had very pedestrian offenses until their last season at Bowling Green when they had 459 yards per game and put up 34.8 PPG.

scoring offenses ranked:

2012-94th
2011-63rd
2010-100th
2009-55th

He was Clawson's OC at Bowling Green. They had very pedestrian offenses until their last season at Bowling Green when they had 459 yards per game and put up 34.8 PPG.

scoring offenses ranked:

2012-94th
2011-63rd
2010-100th
2009-55th
I would be thrilled with a Ruggiero hire. My question is: is he looking to move on from Clawson? The 2 have been tied together forever. Is this actual smoke or just a CIS / twitter-sphere fantasy?

About as meaningful as me saying what I would do if I had won the powerball a few days ago.

I know I'm in the minority too when I say this, but I'm good on him.
Not in the slightest bit of the minority here…….solid Pass. Great Mind, but offense will take too long to get where Wake Forest currently operates IMO.

Also it doesn’t lend well to Mario’s Philosophy of downhill power football.

Advertisement
People are asking legit questions and blow hards are criticizing as usual.

To the comments that he would be the best OC we have had in decades: we’ve sucked for 2 decades and I don’t see a future schedule that has us playing Miami Team 2003-2022…

We invested in the program and the coaching staff and are trying to build to beat Georgia, the current king of the hill, not our former terrible teams.

Gattis was a Broyles winner and sucked the most *** we have sucked in 40 years. TVD apparently couldn’t grasp his offense and it looked like it killed the whole QB room.

Why is it unfair to ask questions to understand who and what we may be getting as our new OC and how it may play out in 2023, etc?

Y’all want discussion and not 400 page threads of nonsense, until you try to kill it by being know it all ********.

Stop your bull****.

He HAD NO personnel when he started at Wake. They had to recruit better players, which they did, and Wake got better every year.

Your "statistical analysis" skills are as bad as crossover's and Mackbammer's.
People act like it’s impossible to improve….

His two seasons as a P5 coach (at a low level P5 school) were bad so he must be bad the rest of his life… if that’s the case Mario wouldn’t be the HC here!! Their rise took place about the same time.

Pretty much agree...

Here's a crazy thought...do we think an OC can come to Miami...and teach RPO with a SLIGHTLY FASTER HANDOFF to a QB who was running RPO pretty successfully a year ago?

Gosh, I can dream, can't I...
Of course TVD isn't a read and ride guy. But he thrived in Lashlee's RPO. We just signed 2 kids that will tear it up in the slot. We just upgraded our offensive athletically. This guy is a proven OC with stats to prove it over an extended period of time.

It didn’t take Hartman time but it absolutely took Reggiero 4 years to get it together as OC

Very well May be great but I think most would say how he did this year after Hartman left was going to be telling one way or another
It’s been posted no less than 14 times in this thread that what you’re saying doesn’t tell the whole story. The first three years he was handicapped by the fact that the color commentator, a former fired coach, was stealing a copy of the playbook each week and giving it to that weeks opponents. Look up Wakey Leaks.

They figured it out before the Louisville game in 2016.

That offseason he developed the slow mesh.

2017 they jump from 20ppg to 35ppg

Advertisement
Of course TVD isn't a read and ride guy. But he thrived in Lashlee's RPO. We just signed 2 kids that will tear it up in the slot. We just upgraded our offensive athletically. This guy is a proven OC with stats to prove it over an extended period of time.

Yup. I realize there will be SOME differences, but people are acting like we would be required to teach Jody Foster's "Nell" character Mandarin Chinese...

77ruv0.jpg

I would be thrilled with a Ruggiero hire. My question is: is he looking to move on from Clawson? The 2 have been tied together forever. Is this actual smoke or just a CIS / twitter-sphere fantasy?
My thoughts are that it is always so buttoned up, how did this slip out? Feels like a guess and everyone is running with it

If this is a legit option, don’t we think Mario would ask him all these questions..the slow mess offense, adapting it, run game, different offensive philosophies, etc.

Advertisement
Ruggiero would be the 2nd best OC since Chud moved on (Jedd Fisch being the best).

People saying “he doesn’t run enough” are the same people who complained about Lashlee.

But the truth is Miami’s OL was complete trash with Duke U quality RBs. No matter what Lashlee did it wasn’t going to be efficient.

WF suffered from the same thing, when Walker was there they were 100+ in yards before contact and sacks allowed. You NEED the OL.
Wake’s O line was god awful this year as well. Miami should no longer have to worry about bad O line play and as long as you can recruit accurate QB’s, they don’t even have to have elite arm strength, you’ll be fine. Ruggiero would be smart to leave now before the whole thing comes crashing down on him if he doesn’t find a portal QB.

It’s been posted no less than 14 times in this thread that what you’re saying doesn’t tell the whole story. The first three years he was handicapped by the fact that the color commentator, a former fired coach, was stealing a copy of the playbook each week and giving it to that weeks opponents. Look up Wakey Leaks.

They figured it out before the Louisville game in 2016.

That offseason he developed the slow mesh.

2017 they jump from 20ppg to 35ppg

"Also, the Deacs are the only football program in the ACC to average at least 30 points per game each year since 2017."
Is TVD the right QB to run a slow mesh? He isn’t very mobile and would 100% have to rely on the RB for all running decisions in the RPO. Jacurri or the incoming freshman might be better options.

Is TVD the right QB to run a slow mesh? He isn’t very mobile and would 100% have to rely on the RB for all running decisions in the RPO. Jacurri or the incoming freshman might be better options.
🤷... I have no idea. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert...

At least not until everything is failing and I can be critical.

Advertisement
Back