USF Game: Prediction & Offensive/Defensive MVP

With the leadership we have in Cam and Kiko I don’t think this team walks into any game this year underestimating their opponents.

41-13 Good guys

OMVP - Oline (we will get what we want)
DMVP - Wes B

Advertisement
Ward throws for 300 plus, X gets a td, Martinez gets a td, Baron and Alston combine for 3 sacks, Miami forces 3 turnovers. Final score 42-13

They are 120th in the country in passing YPG, averaging 156 yards a game. That's pretty one-dimensional to me.

This year, Brown is only averaging 28 passes attempted per game, and with those, he's only completing 56% of his throws. He hasn't completed 20 or more passes in a game yet this year, and 1 of those was against an FCS school. And it's not like it's only because when he does hit passes, they go for massive gains, he's only averaging 9.53 yards a completion. DJ Ukulele is averaging 11.9 yards per completion.

I just don't see this dude and team sitting back in the pocket and picking us apart. I think they're very one-dimensional. He's a much better runner than a passer, and they, as an offense, are the same. Last year they seemed to be more balanced, this year it's been a struggle throwing the ball. He's also been sacked 8 times in their 2 FBS games. One was against Bama, but still.
Funny for this alone----Ukulele

If Cam runs a couple of good times and establishes that as a threat their DC has to account for and if we hit our TEs a few times in the seams, it will open up the run game and it will be over easily. Guidry will have the defense attacking and not playing back on their heels.

MVP: Cam Ward and TEs

Defensive MVP: Jaden Harris will have a big day, Porter and OJ Fred will have picks.

42-17.

Advertisement
I agree. Thats why I should have emphasized dink and dunk a bit more. I think they know they cant match up with our skill guys. So they are going to dare Cam to just make the short passes and not get that urge to get explosive plays. (Previous history of Turnovers). But I added the running because I do think Martinez is going to get it going with more carries. Its tough when you are gassed chasing our WR's all over then we have Martinez and Fletcher hopefully coming down hill at you.

I have zero doubt their defense game plan is going to be to entirely focused on forcing Cam Ward to fumble. I think they know they aren’t going to get INTs as he is too skilled a passer, but if they can him to run or get uncomfortable in the pocket, they expect he’ll make the same type of mistakes he did at Wazzu and carry it in a way they can knock the ball out of his hands. I don’t think they play coverage, he’ll carve them up. The Bama game was only competitive because Bama kept turning the ball over. That’s really the only way USF makes the game competitive.

Putting myself in Dawsons shoes - it’s tough to say the best strategy. Safest is classic Mario “Tuff N Fisical" foosball this game. Run the ball, wear down the D. Hit deep passes with play action on 2 and short. They will be worn out by the middle of the third quarter and then UM can really open up a lead. Or maybe the best plan out of the gate is to have a scripted set of plays to push the tempo, don’t let their D huddle, take advantage of their lack of speed at DB, and try to score a couple TDs early. If UM jumps out to 14-0 lead by the middle of the first quarter, I think it’s basically game over.

I think Mario is 100% dedicated to giving Ward every opportunity to win the Heisman and every award out there so he can be a 1st round draft pick. Not to the detriment of the team, but so far, Ward surely has proven worthy of the opportunity.
Ward wins the heisman and Mario never has to hear "QB killer" again and he'll have an easier time getting the star WR's that we don't usually get. Ward winning that award could change this program for the next 15 years

Advertisement
They are 120th in the country in passing YPG, averaging 156 yards a game. That's pretty one-dimensional to me.

This year, Brown is only averaging 28 passes attempted per game, and with those, he's only completing 56% of his throws. He hasn't completed 20 or more passes in a game yet this year, and 1 of those was against an FCS school. And it's not like it's only because when he does hit passes, they go for massive gains, he's only averaging 9.53 yards a completion. DJ Ukulele is averaging 11.9 yards per completion.

I just don't see this dude and team sitting back in the pocket and picking us apart. I think they're very one-dimensional. He's a much better runner than a passer, and they, as an offense, are the same. Last year they seemed to be more balanced, this year it's been a struggle throwing the ball. He's also been sacked 8 times in their 2 FBS games. One was against Bama, but still.
Wondering how they finished last year averaging 285 yards per game to 156 early in the year? Guessing they lost a WR or something. Aside from Bama the schedule hasn't been any different.

Ward wins the heisman and Mario never has to hear "QB killer" again and he'll have an easier time getting the star WR's that we don't usually get. Ward winning that award could change this program for the next 15 years
Even if Ward gets an invite it will dispel that narrative. Ward’s well on his way.

Advertisement
Wondering how they finished last year averaging 285 yards per game to 156 early in the year? Guessing they lost a WR or something. Aside from Bama the schedule hasn't been any different.

I was thinking the same thing myself. I remember in the offseason I was thinking about the schedule and was telling myself this would be one of the better offenses we’ll see because they had success running and passing last hear. He had some really good throwing games that I watched, especially later in the year. But this year it’s been pretty poor.

Tough call for me because we still really don't know how good this team is. Our competition has been borderline bad and we've had a couple of stretches of lackluster play.
The UF/TAM game was interesting to me because TAM beat them about as bad as we did with a first time starter at QB.
This could end up being a 31-21 type of game or, if we are who we think we are, another blowout.
When we're on we look unstoppable, what do we look like when/if we're off?

//I'm ordering some Nugenix

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back