Upon Further Review: Miami vs. Florida

After game one, who are you guys most excited to see progress as we get settled into the grind of the season.

My Picks:

- OJ on the outside
- Big Moten
- Justin Scott
- Elijah Arroyo

Advertisement
He doesn’t give specific answers but Chase Daniel mentions this a few times in his film review

(Honestly his video is so good it’s worth a watch regardless)

I watched. It was good. Love seeing the all 22 camera. Wish that was an option to watch the game from on TV. You would think by now we would be able to change to whatever camera you want to watch by now.

Advertisement
I watched. It was good. Love seeing the all 22 camera. Wish that was an option to watch the game from on TV. You would think by now we would be able to change to whatever camera you want to watch by now.
Not sure what you got out of it, but to my gloriously uneducated POV, seems like Dawson likes to use the tighter sets because it puts pressure on communication on the defense

I know people were moaning about running it inside, but the inside out approach can clearly be effective. You can have tight sets and also play in space I think sometimes people get too wrapped up in it

Not sure what you got out of it, but to my gloriously uneducated POV, seems like Dawson likes to use the tighter sets because it puts pressure on communication on the defense

I know people were moaning about running it inside, but the inside out approach can clearly be effective. You can have tight sets and also play in space I think sometimes people get too wrapped up in it
I'm ok with the tight sets but my focus is more of the tight splits in the offensive line. I feel it doesn't give enough natural lanes for the running back to get through (i'm not a professional by any means on this topic).

And I mistakenly said I watched that video. I thought it was the same one as the Chase Daniels breakdown video. I do need to watch this one as well.

He doesn’t give specific answers but Chase Daniel mentions this a few times in his film review

(Honestly his video is so good it’s worth a watch regardless)

This was really good. What I liked so much was it wasn't fluff. Show me every single opportunity or mistake.

I didn't actually see the post opportunities a few times without the All-22, but even watching it on this video I'm saying, "throw it."

Ward was awesome...and had things to get better with. Scary.

I'm ok with the tight sets but my focus is more of the tight splits in the offensive line. I feel it doesn't give enough natural lanes for the running back to get through (i'm not a professional by any means on this topic).

And I mistakenly said I watched that video. I thought it was the same one as the Chase Daniels breakdown video. I do need to watch this one as well.
Flip side when you give more space for the OL to cover you run into those issues. Could be a personnel thing

But I’ll park my speculation

Advertisement
Flip side when you give more space for the OL to cover you run into those issues. Could be a personnel thing

But I’ll park my speculation
It's all good. I'm just curious. We've been doing it for the past several years and I probably ask Lance about it at the beginning of every season.

This was really good. What I liked so much was it wasn't fluff. Show me every single opportunity or mistake.

I didn't actually see the post opportunities a few times without the All-22, but even watching it on this video I'm saying, "throw it."

Ward was awesome...and had things to get better with. Scary.
I really like when people that have no idea about our personnel do these breakdowns

When he called X “the receiver” I’m like ok this is gonna be good

I'm ok with the tight sets but my focus is more of the tight splits in the offensive line.
The simple answer is because of the fact that in an Air-Raid offense, the staple of your run game is inside-zone (at least for our version of Air-Raid).

Zone blocking requires so much tandem work and double team work that then releases to the second level. Think of how often you are stepping in one direction, double-team a defender, then one releases to second level. If you're in a wide split, you simply aren't going to get those double-teams that are a staple of what we do.

This is not the Wazzu Air-Raid by any stretch, that relied on wide splits because they didn't use double teams in the run game.

Another reason for tight splits is for line shifts. Miami is a huge line shift team. They shift their line on a vast majority of plays. With tight splits you are constricting the gaps and the line can protect inside-out much easier as they move together.

Finally, constricting the defense with tight splits also opens up the area to the outside. An outside run has less distance to go to reach the edge and allow a flatter angle to get outside. It's a similar impact for outside throws behind LOS or screens.

Obviously, there are positives for having wider splits as well, but in an Air-Raid system it is typical to have narrow splits when you build your run game on inside-zone and double team blocks.

I have never spoken with Coach Mirabal, but if I had to guess, he is drilling double-team work relentlessly in his OL based on how he runs his shifts and techniques.

The simple answer is because of the fact that in an Air-Raid offense, the staple of your run game is inside-zone (at least for our version of Air-Raid).

Zone blocking requires so much tandem work and double team work that then releases to the second level. Think of how often you are stepping in one direction, double-team a defender, then one releases to second level. If you're in a wide split, you simply aren't going to get those double-teams that are a staple of what we do.

This is not the Wazzu Air-Raid by any stretch, that relied on wide splits because they didn't use double teams in the run game.

Another reason for tight splits is for line shifts. Miami is a huge line shift team. They shift their line on a vast majority of plays. With tight splits you are constricting the gaps and the line can protect inside-out much easier as they move together.

Finally, constricting the defense with tight splits also opens up the area to the outside. An outside run has less distance to go to reach the edge and allow a flatter angle to get outside. It's a similar impact for outside throws behind LOS or screens.

Obviously, there are positives for having wider splits as well, but in an Air-Raid system it is typical to have narrow splits when you build your run game on inside-zone and double team blocks.

I have never spoken with Coach Mirabal, but if I had to guess, he is drilling double-team work relentlessly in his OL based on how he runs his shifts and techniques.
Thank you for the info. Appreciate it.

Advertisement
Great effort from Harris here, who initially is pushed wide, but he retraces and gets a sack on the QB.
View attachment 301213

There will be a game where these bounces, close calls, etc. don’t go Miami’s way and that’ll be the game Miami has to grind one out, because variance doesn't always smile on you. That said, it has been years since Miami has had a QB who make the plays this guy makes for us.
View attachment 301214

3rd & 10 and Ward with an absolute dot to Horton. Brown has been touted by everyone who will listen, but Horton was the better player in this one.

RayRay Joseph drops a rocket that would’ve gone for a first down. (Not pictured)

This was bad from Rodriguez, who struggled more than I thought on first watch. Miami has a line shift right, with 76 & 64 responsible for two down on left, 21 for the LB. For reasons I don’t know, Rodriguez guesses he’s going inside and the DT goes outside. You can see Rodriguez’ base was way too narrow and the weight is on his right leg. Look at 73 for a better base example. Ward makes a play, but LG wasn’t our brightest spot today.
View attachment 301216

Just an iconic picture. Florida dude doing the Homer Simpson gif into the bushes, the recruits faces full of disgust for Florida, laughing at the filthy play by Ward, and then Miami players looking like a throwback to the Cotton Bowl against Texas. What a moment.
View attachment 301218

On back-to-back plays Florida tries to block Tyler Baron with a TE who can’t block. It went as you’d expect. Domination for Baron and if I were a Florida fan (gross), I’d be upset. I’d also wonder why my team has NEVER gone undefeated, but that’s a story for another time. (Not pictured)

Florida has started to run the “look for 25” offense and throw it to whomever 25 is covering. There were mixed results, but for the most part, 25 struggled to have sticky coverage in this game. (Not pictured)

Malik Bryant with bad eyes here. Stops looking at QB before he sees ball exchange.
View attachment 301219

This play was supposed to go outside, but Harris does a great job of staying wide in his rush and Bryant sets an actual edge. RB has to cut back and right into Mauigoa. Beautiful.
View attachment 301220

My buddy Cribby was telling me that live he thought Mertz was late on this throw that was picked by Powell, but he’s separating pretty early here. I think he just didn’t have the arm to get it there and Mish saw it the whole way. Now, the return should’ve been a TD if he would’ve slowed up and let his blocker take the last defender, but there’s a reason he doesn’t play offense I suppose. Anthony Campbell in and giving nice snaps this game. Chase Smith and his length didn’t make this throw any easier for Mertz. Never want to see a kid get hurt, so I’m not happy about that. Looked like he got inadvertently hit in the head by Campbell.
View attachment 301221

Brown has to catch this, but Brown was also telling Restrepo to loft that ball more. If Restrepo has any touch, it’s an easy TD. Miami didn’t score on this drive, despite a chance to score for Powell and Brown, then a missed FG. This game score could’ve been much worse. Brown flubbed this play, nearly fumbled that was overturned, had a poor effort on a 1-on-1 deep ball against a S, and was soft on a reception at the goal line. Just a poor game from #11. Film doesn’t lie, it’s not personal.
View attachment 301223

See, Richard wasn’t bad in this game. He was just being targeted relentlessly. I don’t mind this coverage, but a better ball and catch.
View attachment 301224

It really is “where’s 25?”
View attachment 301225

Awesome run by the Florida player, making Mauigoa overrun the play. But the real point of this one is that Justin Scott absolutely forces a hold not called here. This isn’t a swim move, where the OL can grab, this is Scott changing directions and the OL not being athletic enough to keep up and just grabbing him. It’s early, but the returns on that kid look good.
View attachment 301226

This is what it normally looks like when a C tries to block a NT 1-on-1. Moten just eats his soul and gets a TFL. Moten tackles #8 and the RB behind him. Woah, that’s a play.
View attachment 301227

From there it was backups and running out the string.

By the Numbers:

Overall, this was a good ole fashion rear-end kicking. The final numbers are dominant, but not as dominant when it got to 38-10 and Miami took their foot off-the-gas.

• 0.13 Expected Points per Attempt (70th percentile)
  • Florida at -0.19 (17th percentile)
  • Miami had five explosive plays, to Florida’s three
  • Miami accumulated 81% of the available yards on their offensive drives, which is an astronomical number. Florida accumulated 52% (not horrific).
  • Defensively, Miami had a 44% Stop Rate, where Florida only had 9%!
  • Total, in this game, Miami was +10.47 expected points, while Florida was -5.32 expected points
  • Miami: 9.28 Offensive, -1.64 Special Teams, 2.84 Penalty
  • Florida: -10.47 Offensive, 2.56 Special Teams, 2.58 Penalty
Overall:

This was a game all of us in Hurricane nation have been hoping for. It wasn’t a game where the stars aligned and everything went right for Miami at home. It was a game on the road against an SEC rival that was going to give everything they had and Miami was just clearly the more talented team. From start to finish, this was a whooping.

The theme of the day was Miami’s evaluations in the transfer portal.
  • Cam Ward was a long saga that gave many of us fatigue. In the end, Ward was everything they said and then some.
  • Tyler Baron was a menace. He simply wrecked the Florida OL and that poor RT will assuredly be going pro in something other than sports after scouts watch this tape.
  • Mish Powell was what we needed to stabilize the backend of the defense at S.
  • Simeon Barrow made his presence felt.
  • Damien Martinez looks like NCAA Le’Veon Bell with his patience and power.
  • Carpenter at C giving Miami another year of great play at the pivot.
This game was about development:
  • Elijah Arroyo looks every bit the part of the next great Miami TE.
  • The OL has depth and power.
  • Fletcher looks great. The game thread had a lot of criticism for him, but I didn’t see that on film at all.
  • Ahmad Moten and a cadre of DT’s behind him.
There were warts, no doubt about it, but I don’t have any complaints about this game, as Miami looks to compete for the college playoffs this season.

Welcome back to true Miami football, oh have I missed you.

Carpenter far exceeded my expectations. Coming in, I was uneasy about playing him and Rodriguez side by side. And while he wasn't perfect, he wasn't anywhere close to a liability either. Rodriguez on the other hand..

I thought he got a little grabby. One example is on the TD to George, not only was he burned right from the snap, I thought he got away with a hold. I believe he thought so too because he appeared to be looking around for a flag. Watching it live I thought there were a few plays like that.

Do you think he was better in pass pro or run?

@Lance Roffers ... great work as usual ... i had the same thoughts about martinez, he looked like leveon bell with his patience ...

in regards to sam brown, i just don't see it ... draft pick my *** ... i know it was only one game, but it says alot as this is suppose to be a money year, big game with everyone watching ... but you get mandhandled at the goal line and you don't give full extension on that restrepo throw ... hopefully we take the same approach at wideout as we do with the dtackles ... play the best players regardless
He was tight and probably in his head a little bit. You just have to pop in the Houston highlights from last year to see that isn't him. He'll get it going.

Lance, I need to ask you again. Why do we love these tight splits on the O line? Not a complaint. Just trying to understand.
I've noticed that too. Seems counterproductive for all these inside runs but does offer opportunities to bounce. But the splits are tight as ****.

Advertisement
Was just watching Chase Daniels' breakdown on Cam Ward, and he kept mentioning our Oline Splits. I didn't really pay much attention to it last year or notice it a lot live, but this does seem like it could explain a little bit of our Olines trouble with run blocking to me since we're generally run between the tackles so much. Lot of people complain about the condensed formations we run, but that to me isn't really a problem. It seems like us have such tight Oline splits kinda cramps everything more than it should be, and that's why you just have like Fletcher running straight into Olines backs, and maybe why we don't have as many big runs last year. Just seems like we don't give any room for gaps to truly open as much with such narrow splits...

I get the downsides of having really wide splits like true air raid or something so not saying we should be doing that, but seems we might have it a bit too tight? Like this short split to me just makes it harder to run up the middle, and is kinda taking away from what should be our strength which is the oline.

Any opinion on that? @Lance Roffers @Memnon @LuCane

Great review; thanks for all your effort. Glad you got to spend the time on a satisfying outing. Looking forward to a great season.
:neonu:

He was tight and probably in his head a little bit. You just have to pop in the Houston highlights from last year to see that isn't him. He'll get it going.
i've watched his houston highlights ... they looked great ... but saturday wasn't his best game ... and for a guy we were told was a nfl pick, i expected more aggression and effort

i've watched his houston highlights ... they looked great ... but saturday wasn't his best game ... and for a guy we were told was a nfl pick, i expected more aggression and effort
I'll give him a mulligan for possible nerves, but yea next big game he better bring it.

Advertisement
Back