UM Notes (offense) from Sports Buzz

I've been saying it for a while now...Clements is going to be the bell cow on offense. James is going to be more of a receiver/blocker/jack of all trades type.

Duke is the wildcard but I really think Clements is underrated.....he reminds me alot of James Jackson. Not a star but definitely an above average back.

Advertisement
There'll be a significant difference solely on the fact Morris' confidence in his arm will allow us to use the middle of the field. We'll see if he has the touch necessary, but Jacory literally avoided the middle of the field for fear of making a poor read or having someone undercut any of his tosses.

FIFY

I think alot is really gonna come down early to coaching, I think Fisch will get it done, he did have some oh **** moments last year but I just believe the guy has it. If he plays to these kids strengths we could make some noise where people think we shouldnt.

I truly believe our offense will be better without jacory under center. I look forward to see what we can do this year. I really dont know what to expect out of our recieving core though. From a talent standpoint

alone.....last years offense was better....but I have a feeling this years offense will play better as a unit. Last year I actually had pretty high hopes(ACC title? -- before suspensions) this year I really have no idea what to expect. Should be a fun ride.

One thing I know is Fisch took damaged goods in Jacory Harris and made him perform pretty admirably (all things considered) right up until the BC meltdown when we didn't have anything to play for anyway. I firmly believe that he can take a kid with much better tools (Morris) and mold him into a good starting QB.

We'll have to search for that difference maker though. I know that we all think Duke will be that guy eventually, but will he be able to have that type of impact this year? We shall see. One thing I certainly feel good about is having an impact freshman like Duke offset by the veteran steadiness of a guy like Mike James. Not to mention OT will see his share of the rock this year. I think our backfield is well balanced by this mix of guys.

I like Hurns, Dorsett, and Scott as our top pass catchers, and I am certainly intrigued by Dallas Crawford and how he will be utilized.

All that said - it all starts with the "uglies" - and I think this group has the potential to be truly special. Linder is so underrated in the interior. We all know about Seantrel and hope that this is the year he really becomes that dominant force. Bunche seems to have tons of potential. Feliciano impressed people last year, and hopefully McDermott is able to step up.

I am cautiously optimistic about the offense this year.

Advertisement
Fisch mentioned it and I've been saying for a while that the key to the offense this year will be the development of Walford and Cleveland. there is good reason to be optimistic about these two since they have actually shown us something on a Saturday in the Fall (as opposed to a guy like Scott who is virtually an unknown and does not wow you with his athleticism at the WR spot)

Mike James should've be allowed to touch the ball unless its in the red zone to be honest. Just too much talent there with Clements and Duke. IMO Clements needs to be the guy, there isn't a running back on this roster with an initial burst like his and he's a reliable pass catcher as well.

Advertisement
Back