UM Notes (offense) from Sports Buzz

DapperSlapper

Junior
### UM offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch said “what we’re going to do on offense is going to be special.” Problem is, the Canes lost an elite tailback, their top receiver and two key offensive linemen from a unit that finished 70th of 120 teams in total yards and 63rd in scoring (26.5). Plus, they’re breaking in a new quarterback.
### UM had 398 rushes and 339 passes last season, but one official who spoke to Hurricanes coaches expects the Canes to throw and spread the field a bit more. That would take advantage of their personnel, provided Stephen Morris plays at peak efficiency and the offensive line finally plays to its potential.
### One AFC scout who has watched both players said Morris is a much better quarterback than Ryan Williams and added: "If you have to play Williams, you’re not going to win many games.” It would be shocking if Morris is not the starter.
### Even though he missed nearly all of spring ball because of back surgery, Morris actually helped himself this offseason because, as Fisch told us: “Mentally, he has grown tremendously, how quickly he process information. It’s like having a coach back there.”
### Mike James, the favorite to start over Eduardo Clements at running back, said his 3.8 yards per carry average last season was “unacceptable,” but coach Al Golden said a toe injury was partly to blame. UM doesn’t want to overload Duke Johnson early, but “we’re going to find ways to get him the ball – in the slot, in the backfield, motion him out,” Fisch said. “He’s going to run routes and get handoffs because he’s elite.”
### Fisch plan to use Dallas Crawford selectively as a receiver, lined up wide and in the backfield…. Look for tight ends Asante Clevelandand Clive Walford “to be paired together every time we send in two tight ends,” Fisch said. “They’re going to be elite players and cause matchup problems.”
### The sense here is freshmen Malcolm Lewis and Robert Lockharthave the best chance to crack’s UM’s top-five receiver rotation, with returnees Allen Hurns, Phillip Dorsett (“our fastest player,” Fisch said) and Rashawn Scott.
“Malcolm is really, really good,” Fisch said. “Great speed, strong hands. He caught a ball in the state championship game with three defenders holding on. Robert Lockhart is a stud - very polished route runner, explosive.”
### Four spots on the offensive line are set: Malcolm Bunche andSeantrel Henderson at left and right tackle; Brandon Linder at right guard and Shane McDermott at center. At left guard, “it will be a nice battle between Jon Feliciano and Jermaine Johnson, with JeremyLewis involved, too,” Fisch said.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...nes-offenses-umncaa-news-marlins-chatter.html

Advertisement
92.jpg

makes for a better reading experience

I hope he's not giving lip service to the TE usage. I think Walford and Cleveland are special athletes and need to be emphasized in this offense.

I'm also still wondering why Bunch is at LT, and 'Trel at RT; very strange, as Henderson supposedly has all the tools to be an elite LT. Either Bunch is REALLY good, or Henderson is REALLY overrated.

I'm also still wondering why Bunch is at LT, and 'Trel at RT; very strange, as Henderson supposedly has all the tools to be an elite LT. Either Bunch is REALLY good, or Henderson is REALLY overrated.

It has to do with Trel's injuries. Physically, he's more comfortable turning right.

Man im ready for some football. I know we are young and i dont expect a ton of wins but im ready to see what all these young guys have. For me this season will show alot about what our future looks like. Thats exciting.

Advertisement
### One AFC scout who has watched both players said Morris is a much better quarterback than Ryan Williams and added: "If you have to play Williams, you’re not going to win many games.” It would be shocking if Morris is not the starter.

Morris needs to stay healthy all season

I'm actually kind of excited about our WR's. I think Hurns and Dorsett are gonna be good ones.

"Its like having a coach back there"

if true, this could bode well. what i have seen from morris previously is the antipises of that.

Could be pre-season optimism, but I've been excited about the offense's potential for a while now.

IMO the key will be the offensive line. If we play stronger in the trenches, I think we'll score points. We're inexperienced, but we got an infusion of talent.

Advertisement
Good to hear the Oline is pretty much settled. I think that's been a huge set-back for years.

Advertisement
I'm expecting to see a lot packages. Te packages, duke packages, Dallas packages, Morris packages, all with tempo ala Oregon. All the packages and tempo will factor in our ol is average.

I'm expecting to see a lot packages. Te packages, duke packages, Dallas packages, Morris packages, all with tempo ala Oregon. All the packages and tempo will factor in our ol is average.

i wouldnt call our OL average just yet. they have a real oppertunity to surprise this year.

This coaching staff doesn't lack confidence. Though I'm sure part of it is getting their own players to realize their potential.

Golden = JJ on so many levels

Advertisement
### UM offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch said “what we’re going to do on offense is going to be special.” Problem is, the Canes lost an elite tailback, their top receiver and two key offensive linemen from a unit that finished 70th of 120 teams in total yards and 63rd in scoring (26.5). Plus, they’re breaking in a new quarterback.
### UM had 398 rushes and 339 passes last season, but one official who spoke to Hurricanes coaches expects the Canes to throw and spread the field a bit more. That would take advantage of their personnel, provided Stephen Morris plays at peak efficiency and the offensive line finally plays to its potential.
### Even though he missed nearly all of spring ball because of back surgery, Morris actually helped himself this offseason because, as Fisch told us: “Mentally, he has grown tremendously, how quickly he process information. It’s like having a coach back there.”
### Mike James, the favorite to start over Eduardo Clements at running back, said his 3.8 yards per carry average last season was “unacceptable,” but coach Al Golden said a toe injury was partly to blame. UM doesn’t want to overload Duke Johnson early, but “we’re going to find ways to get him the ball – in the slot, in the backfield, motion him out,” Fisch said. “He’s going to run routes and get handoffs because he’s elite.”
### Fisch plan to use Dallas Crawford selectively as a receiver, lined up wide and in the backfield…. Look for tight ends Asante Clevelandand Clive Walford “to be paired together every time we send in two tight ends,” Fisch said. “They’re going to be elite players and cause matchup problems.”
### The sense here is freshmen Malcolm Lewis and Robert Lockharthave the best chance to crack’s UM’s top-five receiver rotation, with returnees Allen Hurns, Phillip Dorsett (“our fastest player,” Fisch said) and Rashawn Scott.
“Malcolm is really, really good,” Fisch said. “Great speed, strong hands. He caught a ball in the state championship game with three defenders holding on. Robert Lockhart is a stud - very polished route runner, explosive.”
### Four spots on the offensive line are set: Malcolm Bunche andSeantrel Henderson at left and right tackle; Brandon Linder at right guard and Shane McDermott at center. At left guard, “it will be a nice battle between Jon Feliciano and Jermaine Johnson, with JeremyLewis involved, too,” Fisch said.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...nes-offenses-umncaa-news-marlins-chatter.html

9.gif

*Insert skill position here* by committee

RB
WR
TE

We're gonna see a lot of bodies out there this year making plays for us because we have no proven playmakers going into the season.

Could be pre-season optimism, but I've been excited about the offense's potential for a while now.

IMO the key will be the offensive line. If we play stronger in the trenches, I think we'll score points. We're inexperienced, but we got an infusion of talent.

I want to be there with you but I just don't see the big play ability. Not saying it won't emerge or can't but there is nothing proven on our offense right now. Kind of exciting but scary as well.

I really really like Fisch though. He had some great moments last year and we missed a lot of opportunities. Playing a so-so schedule some good play calling can really make a difference.

Advertisement
Back