Transfer Portal - Baseball 2024-25

This kind of publicity isn't going to help Miami with top pitchers in recruiting or the transfer portal:

He ran an ERA over 7.00 during both his sophomore and junior years while sitting 95-96 and flashing a plus slider and splitter. The Rangers quickly overhauled Rosario’s delivery, most notably his arm slot, which is now much more vertical. It’s totally changed the way Rosario’s fastball plays without sacrificing his arm strength or the quality of either secondary pitch. There are many people in baseball who are jealous of the Rangers for this one, and others who think Rosario should be furious with the staff at Miami for failing to help him improve in college, as it probably cost him a lot of money. The changes have also improved Rosario’s command. His line to the plate is much more direct and comfortable looking. In less than a year, Rosario has gone from a frustrating Day Two prospect to a potential mid-rotation starter with three plus pitches.

Advertisement
This kind of publicity isn't going to help Miami with top pitchers in recruiting or the transfer portal:

I think last years record takes care of that. We ain't getting top pitchers regardless lol.

Yikes.
Exhibit A for coaching malpractice.

Advertisement
Imagine being the top pitching prospect in the Rangers organization, just 1 year removed from college, with your last two seasons at UM having an era over 7. Not to mention that same ogranization has Leiter (#2 overall pick) and Rocker (#3 overall pick) in there farm system.

Let's not forget that in that same class, we brought in Victor Mederos, who was also highly touted, but also trash here like Rosario. Ended up transferring to Oklahoma State and was briefly called up to the bigs last year already.

Sadly, not only is JD an awful HC, but he is also a **** poor pitching coach. This guy has constantly done less with more.

Imagine being the top pitching prospect in the Rangers organization, just 1 year removed from college, with your last two seasons at UM having an era over 7. Not to mention that same ogranization has Leiter (#2 overall pick) and Rocker (#3 overall pick) in there farm system.

Let's not forget that in that same class, we brought in Victor Mederos, who was also highly touted, but also trash here like Rosario. Ended up transferring to Oklahoma State and was briefly called up to the bigs last year already.

Sadly, not only is JD an awful HC, but he is also a **** poor pitching coach. This guy has constantly done less with more.
I don't really follow baseball or understand a whole lot about pitching, so how does JD mess up on these players as a pitching coach? Not saying your wrong or anything, just want to understand what he does wrong or doesn't do right.

Advertisement
I don't really follow baseball or understand a whole lot about pitching, so how does JD mess up on these players as a pitching coach? Not saying your wrong or anything, just want to understand what he does wrong or doesn't do right.
Its not that he messes up. These kids come in with the stuff. He just doesnt know how to unlock whats next it seems. The concept of 80/20 - 20/80 is JD and development. JD can help kids to get to 80% of their potential and most kids can do that in 20% of the time. That is typically adding something like a true throwing program, adding size, weight room programs, nutrition, etc. But its the last 20% of development that takes 80% of the time. That is changing an arm slot, pitch grips, tunneling, etc.

Honestly Ziehl was really solid this year but I would put him in the pen once drafted and fine tune his stuff and he might be an MLB closer in a 3-4 years. Or at worst a high leverage pen arm. He can throw that slider and then go to 97-99 FB up in the zone that has some late juice.

Herick and Rafe have legit stuff. Rafe needs to firm up his breaking stuff and Herick needs a few tweaks everywhere but he is potentially the next Rosario. But Ill slightly give the staff a pass on him since he is so new to pitching.

I heard Wake used to be like this...they were getting such good arms out of high school they were almost afraid to put them in the lab and really get after it, change something and ruin them. Which I kind of get too...but this was also when data and the lab were new to all of baseball.

It also feels like JD definitely prefers working with groundball finesse pitchers, he doesn't really know what to do with strikeout pitchers that primarily know how to throw a fastball.

FSU picked up a LHP from Ole Miss earlier in the week. He was from Tampa...
Did we make an attempt at either player?
I can almost live with our position players if we get Diaz and Torres on campus.
It's the pitching staff that keeps me up at night . Herick and Walters need to be part of the 2025 roster.

Advertisement

Hard to imagine this isn’t talked about in baseball circles and getting down to coaches who work without transfer candidates and future HS recruits

Hard to root against JD but it feels like one of those dead man walking seasons

Advertisement
Feel like there are still moves to be made. Am I confident they will be made, no, but lets see these next weeks who gets added and how the roster looks by fall.

Advertisement
Back