top 10 most under rated players at the U

The first name that popped up to me was Stephen McGuire. Dude was a workhorse back who had big games against some of our greatest rivals. He was a tough, tough, back.

The other 2 names that came out right away in my mind were Scott Covington and James Lewis. I have always felt that Covington got the shaft in his competition with Clement. I was at Miami when both guys were there, and I remember Clement being the more aggressive personality, the guy that hung out with the other players, while Covington was the dude on his skateboard and who was more quiet. That being said, I always felt like he was the better of the two and just needed reps and opportunity.

James Lewis was perhaps the most underrated player on that 2001 squad. ****, even Marcus Maxey, the nickel guy, got more pub than Lewis. The best thing to happen to both Lewis and E. Reed and our defense that year was when Lewis and E. Reed traded positions prior to spring practice that year. I remember wondering back then if that was going to eff up our defense heading into the season, but what a great move it turned out to be. Anyhow, Lewis was Mr. Consistent while at Miami.

The thing with Clement/Covington, was that one of them had to be pressed into action as a true freshman, and Clement was the guy who was more polished and ready. Then Clement got all those game reps which kept him ahead of Scott. If they had both redshirted and sat for a year or two, it might have been different, but it was understandable to me how it worked out.

Advertisement
Al Shipman was a one and done type of player. I remember him coming in and breaking long runs back to back and thinking this guy is going to be great. Didn't he average like 7, 8+ yards per carry? Then the next season he was gone. What happened to him?

Averaged near 10 yards a carry in 1994. Dangerous kick returned however Erickson stuck with Jammi German returning kicks(one of our worst punt returners ever. Fielded less than half the opponents punts, allowing them to bounce and roll for 20 more yards almost every time). One of our fastest players ever.

Shipman was a grade casualty and opted for the CFL after that year. May have stuck around there for a short time but definitely a wasted talent.

Ryan Moore being on that vid kills any legitimacy the author might have had.

Threat is a stretch, and that's being nice.

I didn't realize Lamar Thomas was underrated.

Payton isn't underrated. He was a hardworking, but mediocre back.

I'd say Payton was pretty **** good here. He had almost 1,000 yards rushing in 2003. 985 yards, to be exact.

Edge, Portis, WMac, JJ, and now Lamar Miller are the only guys who have gotten more yards in the last 15 years.

Charlie Jones was a mediocre back. Tyrone Moss was a mediocre back. Payton was above average.

Payton didn't even start the first few games. He only became the starter after Gore got hurt. I'll always remember him getting caught from behind vs. UT that year though.

Advertisement
I always thought that Geathers never really got his due. I felt like he could've been more than he turned out to be but he was a good player on some great teams.

I'd say Payton was pretty **** good here. He had almost 1,000 yards rushing in 2003. 985 yards, to be exact.

Edge, Portis, WMac, JJ, and now Lamar Miller are the only guys who have gotten more yards in the last 15 years.

Charlie Jones was a mediocre back. Tyrone Moss was a mediocre back. Payton was above average.

Payton didn't even start the first few games. He only became the starter after Gore got hurt. I'll always remember him getting caught from behind vs. UT that year though.

That's true. Gore got hurt during the WVU game if I remember correctly.

That's true. Gore got hurt during the WVU game if I remember correctly.

You're right, didn't look like much and boom, he tears his other ACL. Crazy what that dude is doing in the league on 2 ACL's.

Advertisement
I'm with the guys who said Brock Berlin. Even as he was balling out his senior year, people were saying that he sucked. ****, even after he was gone, people said he sucked. It's only looking back at the QB train wreck after he graduated that many people realized that Brock was a very good QB.

I'm with the guys who said Brock Berlin. Even as he was balling out his senior year, people were saying that he sucked. ****, even after he was gone, people said he sucked. It's only looking back at the QB train wreck after he graduated that many people realized that Brock was a very good QB.

I would kill for one of our QB's to have a season like Brock did as a senior.

Advertisement
Back