top 10 most under rated players at the U

Advertisement
James Lewis was underrated but probably because he was in a secondary with Reed, Buchanon, and Rumph.

Most younger Canes fans don't realize that Daniel Stubbs is the all-time sack leader here.

Also not sure if underrated but Rusty Medearis was a straight beast before the injury problems.

Fulcher is a good one. Man so many good players that don't get there due because Miami has had so many good one. Kevin Beard was really solid.

Rohan could really lay the wood for an undersized LB, one of my favorite Canes.

Eddie Edwards was a 1 first team all american and the 3rd pick in the NFL draft. However because he played before we won a national championship no one really knows who he is

James Lewis was underrated but probably because he was in a secondary with Reed, Buchanon, and Rumph.

Most younger Canes fans don't realize that Daniel Stubbs is the all-time sack leader here.

Also not sure if underrated but Rusty Medearis was a straight beast before the injury problems.

Fulcher is a good one. Man so many good players that don't get there due because Miami has had so many good one. Kevin Beard was really solid.

Rohan could really lay the wood for an undersized LB, one of my favorite Canes.

Marley was 5'8 and built like a truck. One of the funniest players I ever met as well. Gables can probably attest, but all this dude did all day long was walk around campus wearing his campus security shirt talking to chicks. I don't think he ever went to one class. Anyhow, dude knew how to hit people though. Fearless.

Advertisement
Ryan Moore being on that vid kills any legitimacy the author might have had.

Threat is a stretch, and that's being nice.

I didn't realize Lamar Thomas was underrated.

Payton isn't underrated. He was a hardworking, but mediocre back.

I'd say Payton was pretty **** good here. He had almost 1,000 yards rushing in 2003. 985 yards, to be exact.

Edge, Portis, WMac, JJ, and now Lamar Miller are the only guys who have gotten more yards in the last 15 years.

Charlie Jones was a mediocre back. Tyrone Moss was a mediocre back. Payton was above average.

Advertisement

I'd say Payton was pretty **** good here. He had almost 1,000 yards rushing in 2003. 985 yards, to be exact.

Edge, Portis, WMac, JJ, and now Lamar Miller are the only guys who have gotten more yards in the last 15 years.

Charlie Jones was a mediocre back. Tyrone Moss was a mediocre back. Payton was above average.

You're right. I looked up his stats and he may be the definition of underrated. I sure as **** don't remember him doing much of anything that would garner those stats, outside of a tough played game against FSU that year.

You're right. I looked up his stats and he may be the definition of underrated. I sure as **** don't remember him doing much of anything that would garner those stats, outside of a tough played game against FSU that year.

he gets lost in the shuffle but all he ever did was grind out yards for us. And remember, he played fullback when we needed him to as well, so there's some versatility there.

Here's some more....

KC Jones....Center
CJ Richardson....SS
Richard Mercier....OG
Rusty Medaris...DE
Darren Krein.....DE
Kevin Patrick.....DE
Michael Smith.... OLB
Tirell Green.....OG
Scott Covington....QB
Ryan Clements...QB
Syii Tucker.....TE
James Stewart.....RB
Matt Walter....DT
Donnell Bennett.....RB
Stephen McGuire.....RB
Shane Curry....DE
AC Tellison....WR
Greg Popovich....SS
Aaron Moser.....WR
Nick Williams....FB
Martin Bibla.....OG
Marlin Barnes.....LB
Greg Pata...DT
Andre King...WR
Carlos Etheredge....TE
Pat Riley....DT
Yatil Green....WR

I could name a ton more......

Go 'Canes

I see very few underrated guys on your list. The only ones I'd agree with are Mercier and McGuire. guys who are AA or first round picks, etc., by definition, can't be called "underrated".

Add:
Larry Brodsky
Al Shipman
Corwin Francis

Francis was an average player and Shipman never really did anything.

Stephen McGwire
Albert Bentley
Stanley Shakesphere
J.C. Penny
Darryl Spencer
Kenny Lopez
Hurlie Brown
Rod Holder
Darren Handy
Willie Smith
Reggie Sutton
Pat Walker
Jay Brophy
Eric Miller
Anthony Hamlet
Craig Erickson
Larry Jones
Alvin Ward
Gene Coleman
Mondriel Fulcher
Derrick Ham
Rod Carter
George Mira, Jr
Roland Smith
James Lewis

Just to name a few..................

My favorites on this list are Larry Jones, Sutton and Spencer. Jones was animal that 91 year. All around great guy and a kid who lost a LOT of weight in order to get on the field. I'm kind of surprised he didn't turn his brilliant freshman campaign into more success.

Al Shipman was a one and done type of player. I remember him coming in and breaking long runs back to back and thinking this guy is going to be great. Didn't he average like 7, 8+ yards per carry? Then the next season he was gone. What happened to him?

Advertisement
The first name that popped up to me was Stephen McGuire. Dude was a workhorse back who had big games against some of our greatest rivals. He was a tough, tough, back.

The other 2 names that came out right away in my mind were Scott Covington and James Lewis. I have always felt that Covington got the shaft in his competition with Clement. I was at Miami when both guys were there, and I remember Clement being the more aggressive personality, the guy that hung out with the other players, while Covington was the dude on his skateboard and who was more quiet. That being said, I always felt like he was the better of the two and just needed reps and opportunity.

James Lewis was perhaps the most underrated player on that 2001 squad. ****, even Marcus Maxey, the nickel guy, got more pub than Lewis. The best thing to happen to both Lewis and E. Reed and our defense that year was when Lewis and E. Reed traded positions prior to spring practice that year. I remember wondering back then if that was going to eff up our defense heading into the season, but what a great move it turned out to be. Anyhow, Lewis was Mr. Consistent while at Miami.

You nailed it buddy. This guy should have started for us in his Jr Season as opposed to Blades (RIP). This guy was a true balla. That 2001 secondary was so dam loaded that mostly every team passed up on him (Until the Colts i believe scooped him up in the late rounds). #1 Underrated player in the last century hands down..

Dammit MANE... I keep saying it time and time again... the best role player that we had was Ethnic Sands... dude was always over looked b/c he had two beast on the outside...

Advertisement
Quad Hill was a first down maker who was underused. No true position but a mismatch.

Nuke was, as previously stated, fantastic in 2007 and if playing on a better team probably would be much more highly regarded.

Chris Campbell (RIP), James Jones, and ESPECIALLY Rusty Medearis. Rusty gets mentioned but he was probably the best DE we ever had before the knee, and I realize that is jumping him over guys like Stubbs and Hendricks. He was sick nasty.

Advertisement
Back