The perfect rotation.

I agree with 305. I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think we all actually agree on something. Lykes has to be on the floor most of the time if we are to have IMO any success. Besides that. Walker IMO is more of a CBB project than we had hoped he "doesn't play well with others" if you know what I mean. NBA might not care though. Be interesting to if the staff can work him into a team game. If we are to contend for any titles this season we probably need that to happen

Advertisement
Not really. Mizzou got Porter, Lsu got Simmons, Washington got Fultz. It's about connections, shoe companies, and politics.

Missouri has a name program, even though they've been down. LSU always gets players and has great teams once or twice a decade (Pistol Pete, Shaq, Stromlie Swift, etc). It's a combo of both. I know college basketball is changing, but if you're winning every year, you're going to get players regardless of all that crap.

Mizzou is a name program in basketball? Since when?

Well, they've been to 26 NCAAT, 7 Sweet 16s, 5 Elite 8s, and 21 conference titles.

Mizzou hired Porter’s dad. Plus his sister goes there. It had nothing to do with anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never said anything about Porter. I'm talking in general.

The hate for Walker is mind boggling. The NBA drafts off of raw talent. It's obvious how talented the guy is. Some talented guys take longer to get acclimated with college bball. Not to mention the knee injury was not a good way to start off his college career. When you are always by far the best player and then you join a talented college team, it takes time to readjust your role. Last year everyone said Heull was a bust too. He's much further along than Huell last year.

The hate for Walker is mind boggling. The NBA drafts off of raw talent. It's obvious how talented the guy is. Some talented guys take longer to get acclimated with college bball. Not to mention the knee injury was not a good way to start off his college career. When you are always by far the best player and then you join a talented college team, it takes time to readjust your role. Last year everyone said Heull was a bust too. He's much further along than Huell last year.

There is no hate for Walker. He has not played well except for 1 game. Has not even remotely lived up to his hype. Those are the facts.

No hate at all. Just very slight disappointment. He has a couple good games and that goes away.

Advertisement
Kid's going to be inconsistent. It happens...look at Huell last year...he looks lots better this year. I'm not ready to write him off yet.

Aside from hype, what has Walker showed to put him in the top 5? We play better with DJ on the floor.

Where is this coming from? I rewatched the FSU game and Lonnie was fine on D except for one play. DJ made just as many bad plays (if not more) than Lonnie. He also shot much worse.

There is no hate for Walker. He has not played well except for 1 game. Has not even remotely lived up to his hype. Those are the facts.

If you can't see the flashes of his dominance you're blind.

Aside from hype, what has Walker showed to put him in the top 5? We play better with DJ on the floor.

Where is this coming from? I rewatched the FSU game and Lonnie was fine on D except for one play. DJ made just as many bad plays (if not more) than Lonnie. He also shot much worse.

He got blown by on a couple of plays and overreacted a couple of times. As for his "brilliance," he has the talent and we've seen it once or twice a game, or in 1-2 whole games, but he's not showing remotely close to what Brown showed last year overall.

Advertisement
We are three games into ACC play. His hype coming into the year was that he was extremely talented and athletic and is a first round draft pick. Nothing has changed. Not an ideal start for him but his talent is obvious and he'll get better as the year goes on. We need the light to come on by ACC tourney time because we need his talent to really make a strong run in the postseason. He has 15 more games to get there. Gotta be more patient.

Dude has Walker played well or even close to expectations? The answer is no. He was dominant against BU. That's it. If you have not seen this then you're blind. I still have hopes that he will but it sure has not happened yet.

Dude has Walker played well or even close to expectations? The answer is no. He was dominant against BU. That's it. If you have not seen this then you're blind. I still have hopes that he will but it sure has not happened yet.

I disagree. I've seen flashes where he'll get an amazing steal, make a great pass, or making a great decision in general. I unfortunately can't remember the game (maybe GTech?) where they were doing a full court zone press against us. He caught a pass around midcourt, and his decision to drive in a certain direction resulted in Huell being wide open for an dunk. Lonnie made another similar, but different play on the next possession, but Huell missed an easy layup.

I really think it's a matter of time until it comes together. I've seen him dominate against the top high school talent enough to know what he's capable of. It's much easier to show your true skills in high school AAU than football 7v7 because they actually play real games. I've seen Lykes do for us exactly what he did in AAU, but Lonnie has only done a little of it. It still could be some rust from not playing for 3 months after his injury.

Last point I'll make is that Coach L wouldn't start Lonnie last game for no reason. Lonnie must have been showing it in practice, and done something wrong that L didn't like in the game, or L wanted to go with what was working in the game.

Last edited:

I disagree. I've seen flashes where he'll get an amazing steal, make a great pass, or making a great decision in general. I unfortunately can't remember the game (maybe GTech?) where they were doing a full court zone press against us. He caught a pass around midcourt, and his decision to drive in a certain direction resulted in Huell being wide open for an dunk. Lonnie made another similar, but different play on the next possession, but Huell missed an easy layup.

I really think it's a matter of time until it comes together. I've seen him dominate against the top high school talent enough to know what he's capable of. It's much easier to show your true skills in high school AAU than football 7v7 because they actually play real games. I've seen Lykes do for us exactly what he did in AAU, but Lonnie has only done a little of it. It still could be some rust from not playing for 3 months after his injury.

Last point I'll make is that Coach L wouldn't start Lonnie last game for no reason. Lonnie must have been showing it in practice, and done something wrong that L didn't like in the game, or L wanted to go with what was working in the game.

If you think he has played anywhere close to expectations to this point, then you are definitely in denial. You talk about the GT game did you miss him playing Harlem Globetrotters at the end of the 1st half when he had an easy layup?

Advertisement
This is not a knock, it's an honest question. I know NBA teams draft a lot on talent and potential, but how often do NBA teams draft a non 7-3 guy in the lottery who is averaging 8.1 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1 asst, 1 steal a game, while shooting 42% from the field, 31% from 3, and 68% from the FT line?

This is true. However, 5 star recruits (VERY rare at UM as we all are painfully aware) need to be handled carefully. We wouldn't want a transfer situation for lack of PT, would we? Hence, the leash has to be VERY long for Lonnie. Comes with the territory.

This is true. However, 5 star recruits (VERY rare at UM as we all are painfully aware) need to be handled carefully. We wouldn't want a transfer situation for lack of PT, would we? Hence, the leash has to be VERY long for Lonnie.

He's not going to transfer. This is a guy who people are talking about being a 1 and done. If he transfers he sits out next year, and doesn't play until 2019-2020. If anything he goes to Europe, or just goes pro anyway.

Advertisement

This is true. However, 5 star recruits (VERY rare at UM as we all are painfully aware) need to be handled carefully. We wouldn't want a transfer situation for lack of PT, would we? Hence, the leash has to be VERY long for Lonnie.

He's not going to transfer. This is a guy who people are talking about being a 1 and done. If he transfers he sits out next year, and doesn't play until 2019-2020. If anything he goes to Europe, or just goes pro anyway.

Unless you're Jennings or the Ball brothers, most really young kids don't want to leave the country. 5 star players with Lonnie's production (thus far) also don't want to think they might end up in the D League (even if, say, drafted in Round 2). I think this will all work out well and Lonnie will step it up. Let's revisit as the season winds down and we see what happens to his minutes and his game.

Unless you're Jennings or the Ball brothers, most really young kids don't want to leave the country. 5 star players with Lonnie's production (thus far) also don't want to think they might end up in the D League (even if, say, drafted in Round 2). I think this will all work out well and Lonnie will step it up. Let's revisit as the season winds down and we see what happens to his minutes and his game.

If he plays well he will get the minutes. If he plays the way he has the last 2 games he won't.

That's kind of my point. He's not going anywhere unless he wants to not see the NBA until 2020.

Part of walkers problem is very simple

He’s never played off the ball in his life

Now he’s spending 90% of our possessions standing in the corner waiting for a from newton or lykes. Which only comes if they are double teamed.

He’s lost out there in that Role.

It’s why I think he should run at the 2. With brown at the 1 for some stretches of each game and have DJ and Amp man the 3point line.

Our offense is really bad though. We don’t really run any plays at all. And often 3guys stand around watching a ball screen for the pg.

Walker is a waste in that system unless he’s getting the screen

Advertisement
Back