The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I forget which poster came on here and brought up Frost's "drinking problems" and how it was a narrative created by boosters to expedite the firing process...now I have nothing to add or contradict said statement...but it's at least plausible that this occurred.

I agree with you however...I do trust both Mario and the Administration (especially after what has happened to Gattis/the sickening information that I think will eventually come out); if Frost is hired, then they gave the all clear and did their due diligence.

Let me just say this. There are some people who "like" Frost and will minimize his issues. There are some people who either "like" someone else or don't like Frost who will spotlight his issues.

Speaking for myself, I am open-minded and am willing to listen.

On one side, I am concerned with both the severity and recency of any allegations. It's not complicated to compare the greatness of Frost's output at UCF to the awfulness of Frost's output at Nebraska. And if Frost had issues only 6 months ago, I am concerned with the reliability and permanence of his recovery.

On the other side, he was amazing at UCF and has a good background, and his motivation to put Nebraska behind him may be profound. I am not sure what his long-term goals may be, and I am willing to trust the combined judgment of Dan, Alonzo, and Mario. But I'd be crazy to deny that there ARE risks.

I'm mixed on this. I can see the potential merits, but it's also surprising to me, given what we are coming out of with Gattis.

Advertisement
Frost would be a great hire. He knows he needs this second chance. Not worried about the off field stuff really

That's just crazy. I'm not saying it is an automatic disqualifier to hiring, but we'd **** sure better be worried about it.

About 11 months ago, I don't think we were worried ENOUGH about whether Gattis banged a recruit's mom.

Let me just say this. There are some people who "like" Frost and will minimize his issues. There are some people who either "like" someone else or don't like Frost who will spotlight his issues.

Speaking for myself, I am open-minded and am willing to listen.

On one side, I am concerned with both the severity and recency of any allegations. It's not complicated to compare the greatness of Frost's output at UCF to the awfulness of Frost's output at Nebraska. And if Frost had issues only 6 months ago, I am concerned with the reliability and permanence of his recovery.

On the other side, he was amazing at UCF and has a good background, and his motivation to put Nebraska behind him may be profound. I am not sure what his long-term goals may be, and I am willing to trust the combined judgment of Dan, Alonzo, and Mario. But I'd be crazy to deny that there ARE risks.

I'm mixed on this. I can see the potential merits, but it's also surprising to me, given what we are coming out of with Gattis.
We've also had coaches who loved the bottle before; not labeling him as such, but Erickson, Ed O...plenty of others. They all did fine here. And if Scott is serious about getting another chance to prove himself as an HC, he'll give it his all down here.

I think it would be an excellent hire. What he did with Mariota at Oregon, at UCF....heck even his Nebraska offenses weren't that bad.

Advertisement
Frost buying a big *** house in Phoenix should remove him.

Yeah I think Nebraska paid him like $15M to go away. Him buying a house in Phoenix most likely has zero bearing on him taking a job elsewhere. I'm not watching the man's pockets, but if a great opportunity jumped in his lap, he's not saying no just because he just bought a house. I'm sure he can take his $15M check and pay someone to get it rented out for him.

That's just crazy. I'm not saying it is an automatic disqualifier to hiring, but we'd **** sure better be worried about it.

About 11 months ago, I don't think we were worried ENOUGH about whether Gattis banged a recruit's mom.
I trust Rad and Mario enough to fully vet this situation. They don’t want to go thru this again. Gattis was a cluster F on and off the field. Cannot let themselves get fooled twice

@TheOriginalCane ....I'm hearing some chatter about Frost, are you as well??

Here's the one thing I can't 100% account for.

Mario is known for having "conversations" with people. Asking them about concepts, and for thoughts on who the "up-and-comers" are.

Therefore, I don't know how to characterize the talks with guys like Mullen and Frost. On one hand, these are "established" guys, who have been HEAD coaches. Yes, Mario hired a guy like that with Moorhead, and he inherited Leavitt, but can anyone honestly say Mario has a tendency to hire a recent P5 head coach as a coordinator?

On the other hand, maybe Mario is trying to emulate Saban. Maybe. I just haven't really seen that YET.

So maybe...just maybe...talking to Frost and Mullen...might not be formal job interviews, but just "brain-picking" to identify some younger candidates.

Advertisement
I forget which poster came on here and brought up Frost's "drinking problems" and how it was a narrative created by boosters to expedite the firing process...now I have nothing to add or contradict said statement...but it's at least plausible that this occurred.

I agree with you however...I do trust both Mario and the Administration (especially after what has happened to Gattis/the sickening information that I think will eventually come out); if Frost is hired, then they gave the all clear and did their due diligence.
My bad if discussed, but sickening info? Thought he just couldn’t keep his D in his pants w recruit’s moms? More?

Advertisement

I suppose that would all depend on the reason Gattis was let go.

We've also had coaches who loved the bottle before; not labeling him as such, but Erickson, Ed O...plenty of others. They all did fine here. And if Scott is serious about getting another chance to prove himself as an HC, he'll give it his all down here.

I think it would be an excellent hire. What he did with Mariota at Oregon, at UCF....heck even his Nebraska offenses weren't that bad.

Stress and impossible targets will make men break at times. I dont hold this against him, look at Sarkisian. People deserve second chances. I am a firm believer in that. Just with he right support system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back