the morning after - a few more thoughts

That's not what happened. He was gassing out and the defender was catching him on the right side(ball side) so he was trying to switch the arm he was carrying the ball in over to the left. At the same time the defender reached and he tried to secure with two hands but he bobbled it on the switch and the rest we know.

Noted, but that's not what I saw. I will say that it was all the way on the other end of the field from me, but the replay appeared to show that he was trying to extend the ball with both hands and got it knocked out.

I havent watched the game video yet.

Advertisement
  • We saw a bunch of trap plays yesterday. The creativity in the run-game that we've all been calling for showed up last night. Very good mix of run plays.

• This was an amazingly physical game (as many have noted). Our running backs took a ton of heavy hits last night. I dont think we can have another game like this next week.

• Next week I think we need to find a way to incorporate Chris Johnson in the run game. He's not a between the tackles runner, so maybe a bunch of slip screens or other plays to get him the ball in space.

• I think Mario should make Brashard Smith run all of his gassers and all of Colby Young's gassers this week. There is no excuse for that fumble at the one yard line. Very low IQ move on his part. Two guys within arm's reach and he tries to extend the ball instead of covering it up.

• I'd kinda like to see Emory Williams get the start against UVA. I wanna see him against an average defense. This will give him a game where he should be able to take some chances down field and it gives TVD an extra week to get fully healthy. A fully healed TVD (knowing that we have a capable backup) going into NC State is what we need.

• I have to guess the entire Canes offense is beaten up this morning. We ran into 8 and 9 man fronts all game. Just a super physical game. Again, my fear is that the effect of last night will be seen against UVA. I'm also interested to see how Clemson looks next week. They're @NC State, who we play the following week.

• And as always - **** the ACC and their cheating *** referees and their accomplices in the ACC Network. The first half of this game and the Ga Tech game were beyond criminal. Something must be done. My preference is for UM to get the **** out of this bull**** conference. Taking less money to move to the Big XII is a better move than staying in the ACC.
@SFbayCane

I like the analysis, the only fault I see in it is, #2 and #5. They kind of oppose each other.
I understand what your saying, if we play an average defense vs UVA we shouldn't have to play such a ball control game next week.
Realistically the best way to continue Emory growth going it to continue to play this type of style of football. He's a good QB but has some mechanical error (i.e., his release is too low and he holds on to the ball too long), which both can come with time.

Honestly what I'd like to see next game with TVD is seeing them use have balance. We've mentioned before in some games, it was too easy to just call IZ inside of running trap counter etc. in the run game. Basically what I'm saying , just because TVD is a good QB that can do his thing, why solely rely on his, we have proven time and time again that our running game does come around, but you have to be patient. Sometimes when you have a QB its easy to just drop the run game and air it out, which in turn hurts the defense, and we got a pretty good one, so lets help them and let them eat (i.e., getting turnover, TFL, sacks) and give us good field position.

As a former RB im a run heavy offense in HS and College I loved seeing this.

He absolutely can
IMG_0685.gif

Advertisement
@SFbayCane

I like the analysis, the only fault I see in it is, #2 and #5. They kind of oppose each other.
I understand what your saying, if we play an average defense vs UVA we shouldn't have to play such a ball control game next week.
Realistically the best way to continue Emory growth going it to continue to play this type of style of football. He's a good QB but has some mechanical error (i.e., his release is too low and he holds on to the ball too long), which both can come with time.

Honestly what I'd like to see next game with TVD is seeing them use have balance. We've mentioned before in some games, it was too easy to just call IZ inside of running trap counter etc. in the run game. Basically what I'm saying , just because TVD is a good QB that can do his thing, why solely rely on his, we have proven time and time again that our running game does come around, but you have to be patient. Sometimes when you have a QB its easy to just drop the run game and air it out, which in turn hurts the defense, and we got a pretty good one, so lets help them and let them eat (i.e., getting turnover, TFL, sacks) and give us good field position.

As a former RB im a run heavy offense in HS and College I loved seeing this.

Thanks for the response. I do not share the opinion that bullet point 2 and 5 are opposing. My point it that we should be able to throw the ball a lot more against UVA. Last night we rarely had anyone open enough for a freshman to get the ball there. To Emory's credit, he did not force anything.

As for his mechanics, I watched a kid named Sean Mannion grow up in my neighborhood in the Bay Area. He went to Oregon State and ultimately made it to the NFL for five or six years. Emory Williams reminds me a lot of Sean Mannion as a freshman. Both were sort of too lanky to have proper mechanics but Mannion eventually grew into his body and corrected his mechanics enough to be productive and get drafted. Here's hoping Emory's body fills in the same way. I believe it will.

Thanks for the response. I do not share the opinion that bullet point 2 and 5 are opposing. My point it that we should be able to throw the ball a lot more against UVA. Last night we rarely had anyone open enough for a freshman to get the ball there. To Emory's credit, he did not force anything.

As for his mechanics, I watched a kid named Sean Mannion grow up in my neighborhood in the Bay Area. He went to Oregon State and ultimately made it to the NFL for five or six years. Emory Williams reminds me a lot of Sean Mannion as a freshman. Both were sort of too lanky to have proper mechanics but Mannion eventually grew into his body and corrected his mechanics enough to be productive and get drafted. Here's hoping Emory's body fills in the same way. I believe it will.
I would agree with that.
Maybe some of those drop backs that Emory did have, he would have let it rip and thrown it deeper or intermediate, but he played the cautious approach and I'm thankful. On those drop back that weren't screen or hooks mind you.

Meaningless bull****. That's the sports equivalent of a politician saying they will write a sternly worded email to appease his constituents.

Here's a random view from my season seats. I had a perfect view of the safety in real time. The forward tip of the ball was a good 18+ inches into the end zone and the side judge immediately ran to the one yard line while looking intently at the referee.

(unrelated side note: this pic was just before the last play of the game)

View attachment 262326
Nice seats. I’m just out of the photo. Dead center east end zone row 26.

Meaningless bull****. That's the sports equivalent of a politician saying they will write a sternly worded email to appease his constituents.

Here's a random view from my season seats. I had a perfect view of the safety in real time. The forward tip of the ball was a good 18+ inches into the end zone and the side judge immediately ran to the one yard line while looking intently at the referee.

View attachment 262326
To not call that a safety then what does a safety look like? Refs Will ***** us everytime. Great assessment of last night.

Advertisement
  • We saw a bunch of trap plays yesterday. The creativity in the run-game that we've all been calling for showed up last night. Very good mix of run plays.

• This was an amazingly physical game (as many have noted). Our running backs took a ton of heavy hits last night. I dont think we can have another game like this next week.

• Next week I think we need to find a way to incorporate Chris Johnson in the run game. He's not a between the tackles runner, so maybe a bunch of slip screens or other plays to get him the ball in space.

• I think Mario should make Brashard Smith run all of his gassers and all of Colby Young's gassers this week. There is no excuse for that fumble at the one yard line. Very low IQ move on his part. Two guys within arm's reach and he tries to extend the ball instead of covering it up.

• I'd kinda like to see Emory Williams get the start against UVA. I wanna see him against an average defense. This will give him a game where he should be able to take some chances down field and it gives TVD an extra week to get fully healthy. A fully healed TVD (knowing that we have a capable backup) going into NC State is what we need.

• I have to guess the entire Canes offense is beaten up this morning. We ran into 8 and 9 man fronts all game. Just a super physical game. Again, my fear is that the effect of last night will be seen against UVA. I'm also interested to see how Clemson looks next week. They're @NC State, who we play the following week.

• And as always - **** the ACC and their cheating *** referees and their accomplices in the ACC Network. The first half of this game and the Ga Tech game were beyond criminal. Something must be done. My preference is for UM to get the **** out of this bull**** conference. Taking less money to move to the Big XII is a better move than staying in the ACC.
@SFbayCane Don’t forget the DJ.. played a much better track list and actually cut the music when he was supposed too before the snap.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t he be running Jacoby George’s Gassers 🤷‍♂️…from the highlights I saw I thought it was him that recovered the fumble not Young….maybe I’m wrong.Probably gonna watch the replay cause it’s a lot easier on my heart knowing the score…😜

It’s even more annoying listening to the announcers skate past the bad calls . You watch other games and they’ll go on and on about the blown call, for a few plays at least and how egregious it is …we get a clear blown call on a safety and one announcer might as well be whispering his opinion that it’s a safety while the other is claiming it’s not discernible

While the Smith fumble was bad, it did appear he was trying to either get it to the other hand, or secure it. It was a great play by the defender. I wouldn't bee too hard on him for that. It's a coachable moment. I was just surprised he got run down like that, to be honest.

Advertisement

I dont think we have the luxury of taking UVA so lightly that we hope TVD sits and Emory gets the start.

View attachment 262326
Whoa. I think I’m one section to the left of you. 243.

That's not what happened. He was gassing out and the defender was catching him on the right side(ball side) so he was trying to switch the arm he was carrying the ball in over to the left. At the same time the defender reached and he tried to secure with two hands but he bobbled it on the switch and the rest we know.
Nate Wiggins is a h*ll of a player as well.
His matchup against Young was fun to watch. Both won some and lot some reps.

Advertisement
While the Smith fumble was bad, it did appear he was trying to either get it to the other hand, or secure it. It was a great play by the defender. I wouldn't bee too hard on him for that. It's a coachable moment. I was just surprised he got run down like that, to be honest.
As I said in the game thread, if you ever needed a play to highlight why we've been bad for 20 years, show them the tape of our fastest WR (or one of the fastest) being hawked down.

That never used to happen.

I tend to think running a 100% physical game next week is a recipe for an upset after the beating both teams gave each other. Assuming we have TVD back we need to be willing to throw 50 times or run 50 times in a game if it calls for it.

Excellent to see the run game diversity come back. If we keep that the rest of the offense can open up. Create more 8-10+ runs vs 3-4 yarders. We simply aren’t good enough to 12 plays down the field.

**** the refs. Good win. Mario showed me we aren’t the easily foldable team we once were even if his gameday coaching is at the level of a kindergartner

Advertisement
Back